Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying rifle for parts

Options
  • 20-09-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I need some parts for an obsolete rifle and wondered has anyone bought a well used rifle from a firearm dealer ,taken off the spares needed and let the dealer scrap the rest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,can be done. Have done it.No biggie.just make sure you have your license for the same type of gun and model and you don't want the receiver with its unique serial number,and maybe if you are buying the barrel,get your serial number added to it to be belt& braces.You are good.

BTW I think you mean a defective rifle? An obsolete just means it is very old and not up to modern standards of usage.?😉

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nova23

Thanks for that I was hoping to keep some spares too so It may make sense to get a complete gun for parts .obselete I just meant that it is not made any more and spare parts are long since dried up .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I believe so long as you cannot assemble more than the single firearm on your licence from the parts +your complete gun then you are fine.

IE for the gun you are buying and say you want everything bar the receiver then you are fine as without that receiver you couldn't assemble another entire firearm, and your licence allows you to possess parts for the firearm on your licence.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nova23

Thanks for the replies

Advertisement