Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park & M58/04

Options
  • 20-09-2022 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

What the hell are these 12 M58/04 hrs? Have I been under a rock because I've never heard of them at all.

I always thought we were just doing 33hrs, now I'm hearing it's 45?

Also - where do SLARs come into the picture? Where does the time come from for these? Is this the 40min planning time that is supposed to be missing from our timetable? If you are a full-time teacher (22hr contract) with 40min periods - how many class periods should you be teaching? If you get a 40min class off your teaching week in lieu of the planning that goes into new JC and if that is to somehow compensate you for the time you spend doing SLARs, then what if you are a JC teacher of 3 different subjects and have to attend 3 different SLAR meetings? Why should you be disadvantaged with triple the workload versus a colleague who only teaches one JC class?

Trying to find the answers to these questions but don't know where to look. Can anyone either answer for me or point me in the direction of the relevant literature?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

First I'm hearing of this...

Are you classes 58 minutes and to make up some gap?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Those extra hours are the sustaining progress hours where we had ‘half in half out’ staff meetings and parent teacher meetings. Most schools used Croke park hours to make them all out.

SLARs are separate to them. They are 2 hours each, so it does very much depend on your timetable how they will affect you. Like most things in teaching there are swings and roundabouts, so if you have a year with lots of slars they should be followed by years without many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As Random Sample says.

The M58/04 brought in half in/half out staff meetings and it also provided for the first time 3 after school parent teacher meetings at second level all in return for 30 pieces of silver. Your remaining parent teacher meetings are now taken from your croke park hours.

The SLARs are drawn from your allocated professional time brought in under the new junior cycle. If you have 2 subjects and a slar for CBA1 and CBA2 then you will be caught for 8 hours during the year, but only 4 if one subject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

No, we are 40min classes. 9 40min classes on tues, thurs and 8 40min classes mon, wed, fri

I'll be honest. I find this as confusing as fcik.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You find what I said confusing or you find the whole situation confusing?

I'm trying very hard to get my head around it all, but to be honest it seems to be designed to be too hard to understand

The whole situation regarding timetabling, it just seems so riddled with confusion.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I thought it was 88 hours….However many it is I wish they were gone !!! Such a waste of everyone’s time

Advertisement