Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Electricity Usage?

Options
  • 21-09-2022 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if people know what their average electricity usage is. Based on the last bill (24hr tariff), we used 804KWh in 61 days, or 13.18KWh per day (0.549KWh per hour).

I've been monitoring our new smart meter since yesterday (still have to complete a full 24 hours), and average hourly usage on it seems to be 0.4375KWh.

I've made some changes since the last bill such as the lights automatically going off 30 mins earlier (LED GU10s), the TV & sound equipment going from standby to off via smart switch from 1am until 7pm) as well as being more conscious of lights being left on in rooms.

Trying to decide if the new smart tariff would be a reasonable saving (with the free day - washing/drying) reduced usage and discount, it may work out better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

4200kWh is national average.

You should check your bills for last 12 months and see what you actually used.

In my case I use 5000kWh and my consumption stays flat all year round at about 4xx kWh per month as I heat house with gas. I also looked at the time of use plans at beginning of the year but they seem way overpriced for me as the night rate was not much lower then the standard 24hr rate and peak rate was nearly double 24hr rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'm on a Nightsaver (day/night) meter & my usage for the 12 month period from 28/5/21 to 27/5/22 was 8077 units of which 5582 were day time usage & 2495 were night time usage (30.89% night units).

I won't be fitting a Smart Meter as it would cost me more to be on a smart plan rather than my current day/night plan.

Edit: My night rate is at a discount of 50.6% from my date rate.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine is very low. I deliberately cook by bottled gas, and heat water with a fire and back boiler. But now they are giving us old folk money so I am now using an electric kettle and will use a heater... Heavily in credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We're UK based and with all the fun of late I've become very aware of our energy usage - so much so I have a little spreadsheet for costs based on different plans i.e. variable, fixed, gov intervention. OP you ask about the average and it's very difficult to put a finger on that. Over here, they calculate the energy cap based off what they deem average and it's nowhere near our use (iirc we use somewhere near double the elec but close to half the gas 🤷‍♂️)

Anyway, for a track of actual kwh used the smart meter has proved very useful, have a peek below (lighter shade is guess work for future months). I think we fluked the timing of new boiler install in Feb with what has transpired as the year progressed. We also just got a log burner in so determined to keep the gas use low.

For reference, we're a 4 bed semi (not as big as it sounds), 2 adults and 2 <6yr old kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I use around 15kw a day during summer and about 25kw a day during winter. I have an electrical heatpump heating my house so that skews the costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

We use about 3,500kwh every year. A little more than usual since i was working from home for 2 years. House is 1960's 3 bed and not greatly insulated either but not a cold house either. Lots of devices on the go with kids but we're still relatively low compared to national average. I could'nt see how I'd get up much further and think a lot of people must be reckless enough with their usage to have 4,500 as an average. (Timers on immersion, bought A rated goods where possible, good lagging, extra jumpers in winter).

Now the gas might be another story; 11,000kwh or thereabouts every year (pretty much only 6 months of the year too), seems high. Will look to trim that from Halloween on....

Post edited by Madeoface on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My annual use (6 bed house, 2 WFH people, 1 or 2 EVs) is ~12000Wh a year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's a real how long is a piece of sting question. Around 9000kw per year is average for us. That's around 25kw per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Having now monitored usage for a full 24 hours, looks like we're using about 18 KWh per hour or 6570 a year. Based on smart meter rates, this would cost me €6:18 per day against the old 24hr tariff (which had a large discount) of €5.07 per day (both include PSO, Standing & VAT). However the new 24 hour rate which isn't as well discounted as the smart tariff would cost €9.45 per day.

So it looks like activating the smart meter is the smart move. This is BGE, which as far as I know have the best rates (bonkers & switcher have both told me no savings elsewhere).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Are you on an urban or rural standing charge? What percentage of your usage is at the night time rate & peak time rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Urban standing charge.

19% of usage at night rate

25% at peak raate

56% at day rate (1 WFH person)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What about getting the other person to sign up as a new customer on the 24 hour rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

5200kW per year, family of 5 in a 4 bed semi.

have low energy bulbs everywhere, don't have a tumble dryer but the washing machine is on a lot (though we wash everything at 30C) and the dishwasher as well. Heating and hob are gas.

Advertisement