Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming from Satellite dish + DVBT Aerial on my home network

Options
  • 21-09-2022 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a solution to:

• Install Satellite dish for free UK channels
    • Install Aerial for Saorview
    • Feed these both into a box that'll serve all channels as streams in my house on my home network

I'm interested in any solutions to this. (I've got a Raspberry Pi4 and a TV Hat add on, but I now think I'll need a dedicated box instead)

Can you recommend a satellite/aerial installer that's familiar with solutions like this so that they'll install 100% the correct hardware?

Also, could you please post links to satellite dishes, aerials & boxes that'll work together in a setup like this?

Pictures of the wall sockets, cabling, etc... would also be greatly appreciated so that I know what the finished system should look like.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Any Enigma 2 box with both a Sat and Terrestrial tuner will be able to operate as the backend for this. They can stream the output to another device and depending upon the number of tuners you use, multiple users can view different channels at the same time.

My own setup is a Mutant HD2400 with 4 tuners, hardwired back to my router. From my router all devices on my network can access the TV streams. My client devices are all android and I use the Vu+ plug in on Kodi to view.

I know you asked for photos of a "correct" setup, however it's basically my satellite receiver and a LAN cable. My setup is all hidden in a cabinet with an IR repeater for control.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thank you for your help!

While waiting for answers, I pulled the trigger on a Digibit Twin (I'm fine with 2 concurrent streams) and I already have a Raspberry Pi TV Hat lying around for Saorview. I figured I could feed them both into Tvheadend and my Amazon FireTV Sticks have DreamPlayer for Tvheadend available for them. I hope this will work. If not, thankfully I have your setup to fall back on :)

Currently I'm trying to find an installer for the satellite dish & the aerial in Dublin. Freesat is so busy I can't get a quote out of them since days now and Installer.ie told me on the phone that they don't do satellite installations anymore. Not sure who are the other reliable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Will this work for freesat Free-to-air? Basically I have a smart TV in kitchen but dint want to chase a cable to it? (I also have an android box if TV doesn't have required app)

Advertisement