Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof of named driver experience?

• 21-09-2022 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriend has been on my policy for 3 years on various insurers. Now she got a quote of her own they're asking for proof of named experience but they don't accept a certificate of insurance. I've never received any sort of certificate with her name on it from either of my previous insurers yet they'll all take named experience for a quote.

Where are we supposed to get this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You need a letter from each of the insurers you used over the last 3 years stating that she was named on the policy from X until Y and was claim free during that period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭mulbot

If she was under your policy then she has to have been named. Are you sure you don't have an open policy that allows anyone over 24 or 25 to drive and she drove under this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just call the insurance companies and they will issue the letters confirming the dates she was named driver.

I have done this before for my brother and got letters issued without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yes she was named, just nothing specifically stating that on that on the paperwork, just no claims for me. It's not open drive as she's a learner.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any reading of the OP's first post says that she was a named driver. So your second sentence doesn't apply. OP may have added her as a named driver because she was under the age threshold or had a learner permit.

Another reason is that a lot of policies exclude someone living in your 'household' from cover so you have to name anyone who lives with you or they will not be covered under open driving, even if they are over 25 and have a full licence.

• Advertisement

I might be missing something, but how can she be a named driver if she wasn't actually named!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP has two pieces of paper (1) the cert that you show to the cops. On which she is named as an additional driver (2) a no claims cert. Which has no mention of her.

His girlfriend is getting a quote from an insurance company but they will not accept the regular cert, they want something which says that she was a named driver on his policy and was never the cause of a claim.

The answer this query has been supplied in post #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yes my girlfriend was a named driver on my policy, not open drive. Open drive only covers people with a full license and also wouldn't give any named experience, plus adding her to my policy is cheaper than open drive would have been.

Thanks for the advice all, called An Post and had the email within 2 minutes, Liberty were almost as quick and will email that over in the next few days.

Advertisement