Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Cartier Tank Homage

Options
  • 21-09-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Guys, daughter has hinted at a watch as a graduation present. Showed Mrs Traco pics of a Cartier Tank no less.

I think its OTT as I doubt it will get worn or appreciated for what it is. So with that in mind has anyone some good alternatives? Found some but then I thought where better to get some solid advice than here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If memory serves? @Blanchy90 reviewed a Tank homage that even had a green dial option? Tagged him on the post as he will remember better but I'm fairly sure he had one within the last year.

Had a look through his BTW thread and found it, its this.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CarProblem

Longines DolceVita is probably < half the price

I've also seen some Seikos that are a similar shape. Not the same quality obviously but could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The brand will play a major part in that watch for a lady. Cartier has major appeal to ladies. I would bite the bullet and get her the real deal, as a hommage will have the look but not have the pride of ownership.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This. In fact I'd go for a cheaper but well known fashion brand over something like say a Longines. Name recognition is huge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

As a graduation present I think a Cartier or similar brand is warranted. If she’s mentioned Cartier , that’s what to go for and if not doable at the moment maybe just park it for a while and combine it as a graduation and Xmas / birthday or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Fair play to the rest of you but I can't think of anything less practical than a €5-7k watch as a graduation present for a young lady.

I'd be looking for a homage as it'll look close enough to any of her pals who aren't within about 2ft of her and prob don't have the most discerning eyes anyway and if you've got that kind of money left over let her put it towards a car or somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I admire her taste, I don't think you'd find many young females asking for such a classy timepiece for their graduation. What makes you think it won't be worn or appreciated? Where did she even find out about the watch in the first place? It's a lot of money but only you know if it will be truly appreciated or just a phase.

Cartier tank solo in ladies size is around 2500 euro new, or under 2k used. Its something the lady will have for many years or decades and will use every day. Far more practical than just about any other present I can think of.

Also unlike any hommage its going to hold certain value and be a store of money she can liquidate at any time should she so wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

I'm guessing the only reason sje knows is that Meghan Markle has had lots of post on the social media and fashion mags, blogs etc about Harry giving her Princess Dianas Tank. I am 99.99% sure its down to that fact that nothing to do with its design history.

There is the option of inc it as Christmas and B'day all rolled in and I'll chat to Mrs T about it. Had a look on Chrono 24 and there didn't seem to be a significant saving on it.

Now if we do go new where do I go to get my name down for a SS Rolex. I don't think Keanes do Cartier and I doubt weirs would do anything on that front??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'm with Fitz on this one, (presuming you have the budget, she's being serious and isn't prone to breaking stuff) she isn't asking for a watch, she's asking for a Cartier watch. Cartier has serious lady kudos; Seiko and Longines, not so much.

If she's anything like me then receiving any other watch would just be a contant reminder of money that could have been put towards the watch I actually wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@traco - go to Weir's and buy a few hundred grand of women's watches and jewelry. Then they will get you a SS Rolex within weeks 😁 Otherwise just buy it from a trustworthy grey market dealer...

Agree with @Fitz II, get the tank, the real deal. If you can afford a €10k + watch for yourself, you can afford a €2k watch for your daughter. You can tell her it's a one-off present of this sort of value, that you can't afford to make a habit of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

A wonderful gift that marks an occasion forever and teaches a life lesson of hard work being by rewarded.

My question is is she financially independent? If not then I am not sure it’s the right life lesson.

Hye look it no different from wanting a seamaster cause it was bonds watch, or a speedmaster cause it went to space or a daytona because Paul Newman wore one. We are all susceptible to branding, and people love their brands, in a way women are more honest about it then men.

Second hand look on chrono24, they sell around retail which is good it hold it value well enough.

If you buy new you get warranty (8 years for cartier which is excellent) and they will certainly stick you name on a non existent list for whatever further enhancing the purchasing experiance.

To be fair she is a good kid, runs her own car and is working away. Looking at doing a masters next year which is going to be a monumental bill but it is what it is.

I can't afford a 10k watch at the moment and doubtfull if I could next year but I do know someone that bought a few K in gifts (not mental) in Keanes and was put on their list and got a call for a SS Rolex in around 18-24 months. That sort of timeline might work for me but who knows. Anyway I'm always looking for value and if dropping 2-3k then I'd like to maximise the spend in whatever way possible if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭micks_address

i wanted to get a watch like the tank for my wife.. she really isnt into watches.. ive bought her a few quartz fashion watches over the years.. she mainly wears an apple watch.. i did end up getting the seiko https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWDL03S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

she loves it but its very small.. i did see a lovely tank last year 18 carrot gold but was 6k... was tempted to buy it but she wouldnt want it..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

When was that, maybe a few years ago? Either he understated how much he actually spent or he got lucky. There's about a 99.9% chance you will not get a Rolex SS within a few years if you just spend a few grand in an AD now. Just forget it, or you will just be waiting forever and there will be disappointment at the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If it is Diana / Meghan based tread carefully. The watch she was most pictured wearing was a Tank Louis Cartier that will go over 10k.

Also based on Chrono24 I'm guessing she's not the only person that noticed this trend as the vast majority of the various Tank models that look like it (small size, yellow gold, white face, dark leather strap) go for double what similar models in men's sizes, silver or with metal bracelets go for....

Girls who are into fashion are usually far more about "getting the look". In an ideal world they'd all be wearing the Chanel dress from Vogue but 99 times out of 100 the Zara rip off will do just fine.

Seiko have a model called the SUP250 that is more or less a perfect imitation of the Diana Tank minus the bejeweled crown and it can be got for under €250...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, knowing now what inspired her to ask for the Cartier I'd have to second what @2ndcoming said. If it's purely driven by social media and trends then I'd try to delay it until a birthday down the line (or some other milestone) to see if the desire for it still exists.

Just googling and can't see the a white laddies SS tank verion on weirs website. Breretons have one but Cartier.ie have the same watch listed at sunstantially more as far as I can see.

All seems a bit confusing to me if I'm honest. Might see if Belfast offers some options

Unfortunately if you buy in a store you’re going to pay maximum price for it .Discounts are few and far between on all brands now from my experience . Sheerans will have their brand store open soon and I’m sure it would be an enjoyable purchase but for value for money you may stick online .

Is this the type youre thinking ?

• Advertisement

Thanks - as far as I know it must be all stainless steel and the approriate models seem to be "Must" or "Francaise"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Going to head into town and have a look in weirs at the cartier ang longines side by side

I can get you this one a friend has for sale for around 3k Nice version with diamonds.

Cartier Tank 2384

Just serviced

Mint condition

@Fitz II are you gone into watch dealing yourself now ? Serious number Of watches on adverts

Edit , nevermind just seen your other post.

That is nice - nearly be tempted by that for Mrs Traco. Did more research on teh subject over teh weekend and it turns out she has only sent one Cartier pic and other have been all sorts including a casio. Seems like its the style and not the brand.

Weirs didn't have a full SS in stock but did have a 23.30mm Longines. Have to say the face detail on it was really nice. They had a Tank on a leather strap, very classic but didn't really have much of a wow factor to it. Strap felt stiff, face was just white with the roman numerals. Very clean but I just don't know what it was

Advertisement