Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an electrician to advice on/install generator

• 21-09-2022 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a generator. However, the electrician whose services I normally relied on said he knows nothing about them.

Advice about an electrician in the general Limerick area who knows about generators would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

You want a change over switch installed, your electrician, any electrician, can do that.

You just need someone who knows about generators. What exactly do you need to know ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I need to select a generator! Now might even be a great time if I order one from Amazon, because the pound has crashed and prices might not yet be updated. But ordering from Amazon might come with warranty issues.

I see two possible approaches:

(1) A minimalistic portable install. In that case I want a lower-power generator but ideally one I can carry or put into the boot and one that does not fear rain all that much. The minimum power I need, however, is pretty high at 2500 W, as that is the rating of the washing machine - the single biggest load I can need (the kettle is somewhat lower and also much less critical, I have a portable gas stove for cooking). Apart from the washing machine, my In this install I'd forgo the changover switch and just use extension cables. Other loads I might need include the fridge (rated 200 W or something like that), laptop charging and the router (very low power ratings), the tumble dryer (rated 1 kW or something - it's a heat pump model). What generator should I seek for that?

(2) An actual proper install with the changeover switch and a permanent generator installation in the shed. But I wonder how high I should realistically go. All the way to 9 kW for the shower? But how much will this even cost and how do I select a generator at that high level? And if I do not go for the shower, what will the changeover switch even accomplish?

Maybe there is also a (0) where I forgo the washing machine and just go for a minimal spend with a 1200 W invertor portable? There is one in Screwfix for slightly under 400 Euro https://www.screwfix.ie/p/impax-imdy1500lbi-1200w-inverter-generator-230v/15761 . What I wonder about this option is whether these generators have graceful shutdown if I overload it accidentally.

Advertisement