Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple TV solution for 'seniors'

Options
  • 23-09-2022 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

So my parents are pushing on in years and I'm trying to make their TV experience as simple as possible. Their setup is a Saorview box connected via HDMI to a JVC TV smart TV. Anyway, it's proving a challenge. Note that they insist on unplugging the TV and box every night. I had a two hour round trip last night to effectively turn everything off and back on, select the correct input and they were good to go.

Startup for them each day is 1) plug both back in, 2) use TV remote to turn on TV and wait for it to get to the home page then hit the 'Exit' button which flips to the HDMI connection, 3) use saorview remote to turn on Saorview and then for changing channels. At night just unplug everything - no turning off...

The TV is configured so that it should default to the last used input (HDMI in their case) when you turn it on but I'm guessing it's losing that memory because they unplug it every night? Or maybe because the Saorview box is turned off as well and the TV can't find it at startup or something?

Anyway, ideal solution I think would be one remote to control both the box and TV (with big buttons - on/off and volume/channels). Any ideas on this? BIG buttons is a must!!! And having the TV just use the HDMI input would help...

Cheers.

This is the TV I think if that helps: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-40ca790-android-tv-40-smart-full-hd-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10199525-pdt.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

Sorry, if they are just using Saorview that tv tuner is capable of tuning Saorview so then no need for a separate box.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

@decor58 , thanks...yeah I thought that also but when I tried the tuning/channel scan bypassing the box no channels were found. Maybe I did something wrong so will try that again at the weekend when I have a bit more time to play around with it. If it worked and they only had to use one remote that would certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be an aeriel going in to the Saorview box, you could either place this in to the TV and then rescan the tv to pick up the channels or there should be an aeriel out socket on the Saorview box that you could put a cable from the Saorview box to the TV and rescan the tv to pick up the channels.

Advertisement