Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers allowance over 62

Options
  • 23-09-2022 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I would appreciate some advice please

looks like I will be made redundant in the very near future. I am nearly 63

prospect of getting another job is not looking good.

I have never been out of work since 17

obviously is the shame element queuing every Monday at the post office

can somebody confirm because the social welfare website suggest over 62 does not have to sign on when one is on Jobseeker’s Allowance ?

how does that work for this age group

thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

In addition, most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on a yearly signing arrangement with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office (this means that they do not need to sign on regularly) and most will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account. Certain categories of older jobseekers may be required to engage more frequently with their Intreo Centre or local Social Welfare Branch Office. For example, casual jobseekers of 62 and older must continue to submit weekly dockets of their work patterns.

Incidentally , why would you think that people in a queue in the PO should be ashamed of themselves? Why would you look down on people in that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CooneyP

Perhaps I am old fashion and it’s the way I was brought up in the 60’s and 70’s

high tide or low tide I will get something going.

not so easy when I am over 60 years old now …

so what is a CASUAL JOBSEEKER by the government’s definition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

When i was on jobseekers i never went to the post office on payday

Did go next day so never seen a queue

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CooneyP

its happened. Got my termination letter and submitted my claim.

question how long before I heard anything these days once an application for job seekers allowance has been submitted on line ?

does one need to attend a face to face interview ?

any information or advice would be appreciated.

‘this is the dead zone I dread …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Call in to your local Citizens Advice centre they'll take you through it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement