Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water butt / IBC pump

Options
  • 23-09-2022 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I might be looking for something that doesn't exist but does anyone know if it's possible to have a submersible pump for an IBC or water butt that is always on and ready to go but only gets activated when the hose trigger is pulled? I know this exist for mobile home shows etc but I can't find anything mentioned for gardening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You could set it up with a bit of plumbing. Pump > non return valve pressure vessel > pressure switch hose pipe

You probably need a pressure vessel so the pump can build the pressure up until the pressure switch switches it off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Actually looking for something like that myself. Have an IBC up on blocks to give a bit of pressure. It fills from the shed roof.

The tunnel is slightly uphill though so the pressure is never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

For water butt/ IBC, think well. That's all a bore well is, a large water store with supply, with the immediate supply coming from groundwater rather than the sky.

So you need a submersible pump and pressure vessel. Your take off to house / hose is from the pressure vessel.

Probably too elaborate and expensive to bother with for a water butt. I use watering cans from the butts myself. Has the benefit of a bit of light weight training, good for the body :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

The cheapest, simplist and safest way is to fit a 12volt on demand pump, something like Scaflo or Shurflo which pumps 10 litres per minute. This pump can be mounted on roof of IBC tank or beside it. On demand pump means that pump will kick in when trigger is pulled. You'll have to fit a 220v. to 12v. transformer in consumer unit - this will fit on DIN rail just like an MBC - just run cable to pump. As it's 12v. it's is much safer considering that it's outside in the elements and in close proximity to water. The down side is that you will not have the high litres per minute that a 1000w pump similar to what ''dathi'' in post 4 recommended but 10 l.p.m. should be more than adequate to water flowers, veg etc. in garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Forgot to mention that's is possible to power these 12v pumps off a car battery, or better still a 12v deep cycle battery - a cheap solar panel would be a bonus to trickle feed the battery. Easy to dismantle the whole system and store in shed over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Advertisement