Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crush price

Options
  • 23-09-2022 5:09pm

The days of this being a sheep farm are drawing to an end. I priced a crush at the ploughing, was wondering what ye thought...

One sided, 14'6 long, basic crush gate, calving gate panel, panel with pins, back gate €1,800

Same as above but two sided (other side just basic panels) €2,670

Who ever I buy a crush from I'll probably go one sided and put up a wall the other side as it'd block the prevailing winds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Access to both sides should not be underestimated - especially if you are keeping sucklers. How is your calving gate going to work - are c-sections not mostly on the left flank, but crushes are usually right-handed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Fact, trying to pair inside front hoof earlier. Hardship.

Crush layout seems to put the cow's left hand side outward so that would be OK for c-section which I'd hope to never have but.....

Take the point thought that access both sides would be handy.

Price seems pretty high to me for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Access from both sides is great for just the animal in the skulling gate. Having access from both side can be a pain as smaller stock tend to put the heads out the other side.

Take time and plan the penning around. This is what really helps with cattle flow and safety. A safe way for loading and a means of drafting cattle as they leave the crush.

The option of tams is there. If you are handy, you could stand it yourself and make it a cheap job with the grant and vat back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Option of tams is their till midnight, tranche closed after that for now

• Advertisement

That's OK, I've other ideas for TAMS, if I have it right there's a ceiling to what can be spent in it and I don't want to spend one penny yet as I've a future project in mind where it could help a lot.

I believe its between 2000 and 80000. And possibly you can enter every trance with a new application. I was trying it tonight for 2000 worth of small bits, but I can't understand how to do it on agfood.

Actually just noticed their is another tranche from tomorrow till December. I'll have to get organised for it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭anthony500_1

I priced a mobile crush with semi auto head gate at the ploughing, all were about 1700+vat. Another 450+vat for a rear sliding gate on the unit too. And I think the head scoop was around 500+vat. But could not be sure.

All are eligible for 40%tams, or as one man told me, stick the wife on the herd number and you can avail of 60%grant 🤣🤣🤣

The moible crush in my situation would give great adaptablity in my opinion. Move from yard to shed say in calving times then back out to yard for dosing ect in summer. Or even bring it to an outfarm and dose there. You Can get access from both sides, all had calving gate on correct side, and removable sides on the other if you needed it for some reason. could add leg lifters head scoop etc if needed down the line.

The only thing I'd say is the basic head gate is a balls if your a one man operation. Ive a bad basic one here and it would wreck your head trying to get them into it, the cows get clever to it and not for love nor money will they put there head out in it, then when you want to let one out you have to take your life into your own hands to stop the next one bursting through while you try get the gate closed. I know this is a bad set up, but with a semi auto it would eliminate a lot of this rootin. If you can afford it try go for a semi auto head gate if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭leoch

Did clipex have a stand at the show see them on dungdeal they look a serious job maybe expensive but great for a one man show wonder would they come under tams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭anthony500_1

I didn't see clipex, but I could have just missed them.

From memory Nugent, Bo steel, condon engineering, Barrett engineering. Were the ones I visited and got info from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Clipex HDX 900 crush - €7,500 plus VAT. I looked at it at the ploughing. Serious piece of kit, if you have the work for it. I don't know if you could calf a cow in them though.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I am too planning to do a new crush in the not so distance future. It was the main reason I went to the ploughing this year. There was a great lot of stands from different manufacturers. The Rolls Royce of them all was the Te Pari, a serious bit of kit. (Loads of videos on YouTube) Way out of my needs. I was very disappointed with the Clipex, The quality was not in them particularly the galvanizing for the cost of them in my opinion. I believe (but it maybe incorrect) that they are manufactured in China. Condon seemed a ok crush for the cost the quality was pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Yes but its reset to zero when the current tams ends, which is end of this year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice setup here that maybe you could take some ideas from:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I do a good bit of work with a vet doing herd tests so I’ve worked with a lot of crushed.

access to both sides is vastly over rated. It just means you have cattle sticking their head out the wrong way. If you really want access to both sides kick the front section out because if you do need to access the other side it will only be for an individual animal.

have the pen gate at the end of the crush swing in to direct an animal in

modern crushes with panels are actually inferior to older or custom made crushes. They have to many vertical prices for you to get an arm trapped in.

one made with longer bars and single uprights might not look as nice but generally have far better cattle throughput. If you want have a panel at the front that you can open out for sections or whatever.

depending on your yard layout you can have a left hand crush if you want. Nothing says it has to be right handed.

semi auto gates work better than automatic IMO

you can never have too many holes for bars to go into

Advertisement