Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any advice on what to pick for my second car ?

Options
  • 24-09-2022 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am looking for advice for good car recommendations for my second car. I currently work in Dublin and do between 120km-200km every week day, so a diesel with good fuel economy is a must.

My budget is ~€15000 + trade in value of my car (which is being valued about €3500-€5250 depending on which dealer I’ve brought it to.

Id be planning for this car to last me the next 5 years so if anyone has any good advice on where to focus my research I would be very grateful!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Upto 1000 km a week is hefty enough mileage. That works out at around 52k km per year. What are you driving at the moment? Are you looking for something similar but obviously a bit newer? Used car market is nuts currently so even with 20k to spend you will be looking at something that is already maybe at least 4 or 5 years old with a bit of mileage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Fair mileage you are doing there, what kind of car are you looking for? Personally would look at a three series, how important is the spec and do you drive it hard, if you're conscious of the fuel economy no real need for a 320d even if the 318 or 316 are harder to sell on. Plenty of options really and a good looking car too and comfortable.

At the upper end of your budget but very low mileage on that and good fuel economy you'd get over 55mpg motorway driving handy enough

Id consider that if you're looking for something a bit sportier and better looking and quicker. Again would depend on your needs and preferences and what you are driving now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bmh1998

At the moment I am driving a 2012 Kia sportage. It’s a nice car, just SUVs aren’t suited for the sort of driving I’m doing.

Currently I’m just looking for something that’s a bit of an upgrade but is gonna last me the 4-5 years I see myself using it. I’m not against BMWs at all, I just wouldn’t know much about them.

At the moment I’ve looked at a 2015 Mazda 6 and a 2017 Ford Mondeo, both within my budget, I liked both! But the Mazda was my favourite of the two. My only concern is that it’s already a 7 year old car and will be 11/12 years old with a hefty mileage when I am finished with it.

Would anyone have any experience with Mazda 6s? Do they give any big issues ?

The way I drive on the motorway is I usually sit at 120 in Cruise Control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Be weary of Mazda diesels. They are not the most reliable. You could get lucky or you could get a nightmare.

A Peugeot 508 might be the perfect car for you or a Citroen C5 which is a very classy and comfortable car.

You could also look at a KIA Optima and the Hyundai i40.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Being honest, 15k to 20k budget doesn't get you anywhere as much these days as it did 4 or 5 years back. Prices have shot up while supply of used cars has dropped due to Brexit as well as people holding on to their cars longer because new cars are in limited supply. Also you will be putting about 250k km on the car over the next 5 years on top of what is on it already, so whatever you buy now won't be worth that much in 5 years time. And stay away from a diesel engine in the Mazda 6, they are not a reliable engine.

It might be better to just keep the existing Sportage going until it dies or becomes uneconomical to repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d probably agree with Bazz. Whatever you buy would have to be fairly low mileage with the mileage your going to be putting on it, and I just don’t think theres a lot out there thats newer and low mileage that would be worth buying at the moment. Pretty much anything decent within your price range would already have 100k miles on the clock

Nothing wrong with a Kia Sportage for the type of driving your doing.

It's very much depending on what type of car you like.

Your budget would get you into one of these mondeos

highest spec with higher mileage (wouldn't worry too much as long as your happy with the mainteneance already done on the car as your going to be doing big mileage anyways) https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-ford-mondeo-2-0-tdci-st-line-new-arrival/32161689

Or two lower spec with lower mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/9-ford-mondeo-2017-2-0-tdc-titanium/31843488

I think though the best value for money is in the Hyundai i40 range especially at your price point. They are the king of commuters cars in my opinion the 1.7 140 bhp executive spec is a lovely drive as I had one doing similar mileage to yourself. The interior though is not as refined as a Mondeo/Octavia/Passat but it has plenty of spec in it at a price point you wouldn't get in it's competitors and I like the sportback look it has. Still a nice looking car as well. You'd get a 2018/2019 comfortably with your budget.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i40-1-7-crdi-executive-4dr-reverse-camer/32211719

I'd hate to be driving 50k km per year in an i40. They really are a horrid car to drive. They feel and drive like something designed 2 decades ago imo. A Mondeo while hardly exciting either is better in every department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Jaysus, it'd be some sentence to be condemned to 50k per year in an i40. Almost anything is nicer and they're far from infallible reliability wise. Mondeo, Passat, Avensis, 508, even an but not an i40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bmh1998

Do you guys think a 2015 2.0 Audi A3 would be a good choice also ? Drove one yesterday and it was a very comfortable experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I was doing huge mileage years ago, up and down to Cork weekly etc. I just went and bought a Mondeo. The thing was easy on fuel and was nice to drive. Plus to service/parts etc all cheaper than equivalents, a mand & his dog will service a Ford :-)

For TCO it won the battle. When I finished I sold it to mate who drove it till he had 3-400k km's on it and then traded it in on scrappage. Great car

Lovely car but repair costs are what you need to look at, Audi repairs can be expensive compared to others

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you want plenty of space too OP?

I mentioned the Citroen C5 before and here is an estate version of it ,

It's a huge cat with lots of space and being a Citroen it would be very comfortable too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement