Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extruder calibration woes.

Options
  • 24-09-2022 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

This is more a tale of certain companies cheaping out on parts than it is a request for help.

I've had a Wanhao D9 400 for 3yrs and it has been very much a love hate relationship. Initially the printer suffered from serious ringing on print over 5cm tall. This was nailed down to the print bedinducing vibration as the printhead rose up the z-axis.

Wanhao addressed that with the MK2 kit and bracing arms on the z-axis. Now that kit also came with the BL-touch for print bed levelling and some other little tweaks.

The thing is, for every single good print I had? I had 3 or 4 failed. Levelling never stuck and had to be relevelled constantly. I abandoned the printer for a while as I had plenty of other things to keep me busy.

I decided to strip and rebuild the printer on Thursday. That went great and after taking a look on the FB group, I found that there was a Waggster FW available that included a long wanted/needed auto-level option.

Load it up and that at least solves the bed levelling issue. So reset the eeprom and went to recalibrate extruder e-steps. Factory default is 94, but last calibration was 98.

Sent the g-code to extrude 100mm and? 1st effort was 64mm, so I took apart the extruder to clean it out. Resent the G-code and this time it extruded 48mm! Ran the extrude a few more times and the variation between each extrusion? Means that it's time to replace the crap Wanhao extruder with a BMG and get the unit running within a decent and repeatable spec.

The printer offers a great build volume but it is a PITA to get running sweet.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just on this. I got sick of the variability the stock extruder was giving. I've ditched it for a bondtech and it is a night and day difference.

Advertisement