Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving light in sky

Options
  • 24-09-2022 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was in mayo 2 nights ago and saw a bright star move across the sky at an incredible speed .just wondering was it a meteor ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yes it could have been a meteor.

Could also have been a satellite or the international space station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I saw a very bright 'meteor' or something a few minutes ago (10:28 or so) flew under where Jupiter is in the sky. I thought someone was letting off a firework but no noise or explosion.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Shooting stars happen all the time. Its just space debris, meteorites and the like, burning up in the upper atmosphere.

The International Space Station also moves like a bright point of light in an arc across the sky. There are loads of trackers online where you can see when it will be over Ireland and go out and watch for it, its a great thing to observe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Station orbits Dublin Sunday 25 September 2022 at 9:07 PM. Visible 4 min. Max height 57 deg. Appears 10 deg above W. Disappears 44 deg above SE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I think I saw this last Saturday night. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. We were camping in Wicklow and I'd just let the dog out to do his business when I looked up at the sky and saw a huge fireball burning through the sky before breaking up into smaller pieces. The whole thing lasted probably 5 seconds or so. I roared at my wife to come out but it was gone by the time she emerged. It was genuinely jaw dropping. I checked the news the next day but didn't see anything about it. It went far beyond a classic "shooting star" type sighting. Just wondering did anyone else see it?

Edit - I meant to add this as a reply to CrowdedHouse above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I understand that a good number of fireballs have been seen in the sky over that last 12 months or so. I have seen two myself this year. They can be quite a sight. Earth sky news is a good place to read about those.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Advertisement