Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV panels , reci electrician

Options
  • 24-09-2022 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I’m a reci , I’m looking to start the PV install,

I will do the course etc ,

I see a lot of companies at the installs ,doing the heat pumps heat recovery etc and them not a RECI , Plummers basically,

surley they need to be registered electricians to install these ,

i have two jobs on the go at the moment and PV going in , neither of them a RECI ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Heat pumps are more a plumber thing than an electrician. There is much more plumbing work involved compared to the electrical work. Some heat pumps can be run from a standard socket. Others require a dedicated feed from the fusebox. Usually the RECI electrician runs the cable and the plumber does the rest of the installation. Some heat pump installers instruct the homeowner to engage a REC to run the cable from the fusebox to an outside isolation switch. This way they don't employ the REC at all. They are allowed to wire from the heat pump to the isolation switch. REC spends a few hours doing his part. Plumber will be several days doing their part.

Most of the PV companies send out a crew to install the panels & have everything in place for the REC to wire them in. As with heat pumps, the electrician would do the least amount of the work involved.

PV is great to get into and should be a good money earner for the next decade. If you do get into the game & you become busy then you won't waste your time doing the panels etc yourself. It makes more sense to have a crew to do the bulk of the work & you stick with electrical installation

Advertisement