Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recomend a powerline adaptor

Options
  • 24-09-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi. Renting room in old house. Owner also lives here. Vodafone Router with Gigabox downstairs.

My room upstairs. Use Windows 10 on Desktop computer to acess internet.

Sometimes use Wifi, which is a dongle connected to USB port on front of computer.

Generally I use ethernet through a booster bought from a discount store. There is an ethernet cable running from

the back of the computer to the ethernet port on the booster. There is no cable going from the computer to the router.

When my internet speed is really good, I get up to around 60 mpbs download speed.

I would be happy enough with 30. The problem it sometimes goes down to almost zero.

ie right now, download is 3.16 and upload 14.86 at speedtest.net. Changing server doesn't make a lot of difference.

The only time I got consistently good speeds is when I was allowed to bring the gigabox to my room. But they were only good when I connected the gigabox to my computer through a ethernet cable

What I am hoping from the adaptor is to have consistently decent speeds ie it won't start falling down to near zero.

• So I am thinking of getting the "Netgear PLP1000 Powerline Adapter 10000Mbp" from Argos .No I don't expect to get 1000 mpbs. I have read that you need to have these plugged directly into the wall socket.
    • Where the router is in the kitchen, There are three wall connections. One is for the router. Another is for the gigabox, and the third one is for internet. ie like a phone connection.
    • I guess I could if the owner had no objection, get plug extension and connect the router and gigabox to that. That would leave a socket free for the powerline adaptor. But if I have to use an extension for the powerline adaptor, should it work?
    • Now upstairs in my room, the socket is behind my bed. So unless I use an extension, i would have to put the adaptor in there. But it would be blocked by the bed.
    • So do you think it's worth me trying the powerline adaptor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I live in an old house. Check that the sockets are all in the same ring. If they are different you won't get a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Sorry. Don't know what you mean by the "same ring"

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

He meant how many phases are in the house.90% have one phase so adapter should work

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

The instructions say not to use it with an extension socket but maybe it's worth a try? As long as you can return it to Argos for a refund if necessary. Mine works brilliantly - just a bit fiddly setting it up on our Eircom router but sound as a bell ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sorry, I was mixing up the term ring with loop. The house here has an old part and a new part. The extension has the sockets wired in separately to the older part. I hadn't even considered it when I bought some powerline adaptors only to find out they wouldn't work between all the sockets, only the ones on the same circuit. I have a WiFi mesh system now which works quite well, but it wasn't as cost-effective as the powerline adaptors.

They worked great between sockets in the new part of the house where the router is, even if that didn't suit my purposes.

No three-phase here to worry about, but I expect that's a whole new headache that you don't need to worry about.

Sorry. This is all over my head. Loops.phases, rings. But thank you anyhow. All I know is that part of the house was built before WW2, and another part in the 1960's. The owner told me before, but I forget. By the look of the house it was probably the front part in the 60;s, which is where my bedroom is located, and the back part, where the kitchen is, and where the router is located pre ww2. The owner asked me earlier why I seem to be the only one having internet issues. She uses a laptop and her phone, wheras I just use my desktop computer. My computer is pretty old. Wifi is not built in. Her bedroom is also at the front of the house.

Advertisement