Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dahmer [Netflix]

Options
  • 25-09-2022 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

This is tense, edge of your seat kinda series, especially the first ep. The actor is really good at playing Dahmer.

I knew about Dahmer before but seeing the stories and victims of each episode makes it very hard to watch.

Anyone else watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Gave up on it in episode four or five. Just too weird for me. I didn't find first episode that bad.

I was hoping there would be more stuff like mindhunter in it. It's just too much stuff where I'm like, oh no don't do that as your definitely gonna get caught now etc. Not that I was cheering for him, actor plays character very well and it does draw you in.

I might go back to it again.

How have you been finding it?

Watched a few episodes. It's definitely a very hard watch. It's always hard to watch these things because the focus is generally on understanding the perpetrator...trying to find humanity/understanding and whilst there is sympathy/empathy towards the victims, they really are not given the same..I don't know the word.. attention? I was reading a bit about Dahmer after watching an episode and it had pictures of the victims (was going to say 'his' victims but truth is they don't belong to him. They each had their own story.

Its trying to portray just how many times he sort of looked for help or should have been given help/people interviened but he was just kind of left ..I'm not sure how accurate the series is but that's the impression I'm getting from it.

I watch a bit of crime/serial killer stuff and what I've taken away from this one more so is awareness of the victims. It really is heartbreaking what happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great series really enjoyed it,

Episode 6 Silenced is a standout episode focusing on the life of Tony Hughes one of Dahmer's victims, who happens to be deaf, this episode really brings home the fact these were real people with families whose lives are destroyed by Dahmer.

Evan Peters is excellent as Dahmer and great supporting cast in Richard Jenkins as his Father and Niecy Nash as Dahmer's neighbour.

Also Interesting to see the show featured some flashbacks to Ed Gain and John Wayne Gacy (perhaps Ryan Murphy will bring their stories to the screen)

Anyway I would give the series a 9/10

I know you know obviously, but this post reads like you’re watching fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It does have a mind hunter vibe alright. Evan Peters is superb as Dahmer. It’s remarkable how lucky seriel killers seem to be where there’s moments they are nearly caught long before they actually are. only on episode 4 but it’s really uncomfortable but engaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Too grim for me. Seems to be well done and true to life but not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Peters is phenomenal in the role

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I only heard about this on Friday and waas sceptical due to how it was released quietly by Netflix and also media reaction descirib8ngbit as gruesome and gory and also reports that victims families and people from the community were against it.

I started it on Saturday and the first episode is a tense watch and I thought was not going to appreciate it.

I stuck with it and was blown away by it and binged all 10 episodes in 2 days.

First 5 episodes focuses more in Dahmer and his background and it was enthralling but when it gets to episode 6 it goes up a level and it shows events a from a victims perspective in a very unique and touching way.

From then it handles the events with excellent accuracy and total respect for the victims and their families and the performances of Evan Peters as Dahmer and Richard Jenkins as his father are excellent.

The show also shows how the systems of the state failed and how subtle and not so subtle racism existed and prolonged the case.

I think it’s the best show Netflix have done in a long time and is also a new way to make shows about serial killers as at no point is Dahmer sensationalised or deified but he is humanised whilst at the same time showing the impact of his actions and how he left behind a lot more victims than the 17 unfortunate people he murdered.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They got the tone of this completely right, which surprised me considering the different directors. Jennifer lynch's ones were great. Even the Tony Hughes episode, which was the most "creative licence" episode, was excellent when you realised how much could have been inside dalhmers head.

The actor who played grace was the stand out in my opinion, but peters was excellent too. Both quite and unassuming yet seriously foreboding and terrifying when he needed to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

It's pretty good. Nowhere nearly as good as Mindhunter, but decent

If anyone is interested this is an excellent dramatization of the crimes of Harold Shipman. I can only find it on youtube

I do not get the comparison with Mindhunter which is a completely different albeit with a common link of serial killers.

Mindhunter is the development of psychological profile of serial killers whilst Dahmer is about a killer, his victims and its impact. It’s a completely different premise

Agreed.

Mindhunter is after the killings.

Dahmer is about the killings

They're both about serial killers and they're both on Netflix. It's not an unreasonable comparison.

I only mentioned cause a previous poster did. Mindhunter is infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

The first episode was too much for me I was so on edge had to stop and resume the next day. Tried the second just couldn't handle it so I'm out! Very well done, I'm just not able!

Breaking Bad and Narcos are also both on Netflix and about selling drugs but are very different shows in every way.

Who gives a ****? I made an innocuous comment to contribute to a discussion about a new TV show and you want to pull me up on some technicality.

Are you this insufferable in real life?

Well you know this is a discussion forum and that's what I'm trying to do, discuss a point that I completely disagree with.

Now you're saying it was an innocuous comment and then resort to insults which I take to mean you've no real substance to back up your point,

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Watched the first 2.5 episodes and gave up. Just too grim for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Wow, gripping stuff, one of the best things Netflix have made. A really superb performance from Evan Peters. Yes it's a hard watch but theirs more depth here than your usual serial killer series. Episode 6.. oh my god.. Great tv

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

The John Wayne Gacy scene, wow, so sad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a series on him.

He was disgusted to be compared to Dahmer, yet he was as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Just finished this. Agree with a lot of what was said above, brilliant show even though it was hard to digest in the early episodes.

One of the things that I found worked extremely well was not showing too much. Instead we got the noises through the vent or remembering the animal experiments or showing a head/leg at the edge of the screen and then using our own imaginations to fill in the gaps, and this made it even more creepy.

Evan Peters really nailed the creepiness and nonchalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I was interested in watching this but then I saw that Ryan Murphy was behind which really put me off it. Can anyone give me an idea of how it compares to the other stuff he's been involved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Manner14

I found episode 6 probably the hardest watch of them all. Maybe because there was some sort of a relationship built with the 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jv2000

I would say it is the closest to the Versace American Crime Story (Season 2) but also I would say it felt a little bit different to some of his stuff. It felt a bit more controlled. Sometimes Ryan Murphy stories jump all over the place and this was a lot more restrained, it did have time jumps but nothing that felt too wild. I enjoyed the series overall, I was not really up to speed on the story so I think that helped. I found the set-up to be more eerie and suggestive than completely in your face, I had expected a lot more over the top stuff based on what friends had been telling me. It is one of those shows where you will think about it long after you have watched it.

i think Ian Brennans co writing assistance kept the story very linear and toneful. It had a lot of the menacing full which we got in some of the better episodes of AHS, without the OTT hamming we got in a lot others.

Its similar enough to Ratched, if you swap the bright colourful monobloc coloured 50s for a depressing middle america beige n dreary wisconsin. In that theres a noir style to it. Ratched suffered due to some over cartoonishness of some characters and some unresolved ploy holes, which dahmer doesnt suffer from due to it being very much grounded in truth.

The Dahmer story in itself is so incredible and disgusting so as to require very little reworking, which the writers did very little of, to the shows eternal benefit. They just had to make it work on screen ,which they did a great job of in my opinion, The fact that some people couldnt watch it due to its darkness and squeamishness is testimony to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Watched it over three sittings... knew nothing about the backstory except for that he was a serial killer. Jesus, its a tough watch, but absolutely compelling. I liked that it wasnt a complete gore fest. The "Sandwich gift scene" was just incredibly tense and fabulously delivered (and is factual too).

I didnt get it from the series, but apparently from reading about it, there's lots of unsavoury details that they left out or didnt make obvious (hard to believe). Also, Glenda the next door neighbour died in 2011 which I also find a little sad as she was badly affected by it and got basically zero support before/during/after.

Definitely 9 out of 10 for me.

Muppet Man

Advertisement