Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like to live in Shannon?

Options
  • 25-09-2022 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is Shannon really that bad? I’ve seen a lot of people recommending not living in or near Shannon for work. I would like to relocate back to Ireland next year with my husband and toddler and while we were initially considering a few limerick towns, we seem to think that Shannon could work best for us. It has nice affordable housing, central location, lots of schools and all walking distance, a park with pump track, leisure center, green walk ways etc. I get what people say about it not be a ‘real’ town, but I can’t say that would phase me. No town is perfect. If you want history and culture, there are several places close by. Opiniones? Thoughts from anyone who lives or has lived in Shannon?

Post edited by LAT on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not going to lie, I live reasonably close to Shannon and actually work in the industrial estate there, but no, I wouldn't buy a house there.

I'm going to cut to the chase here and say that Clare has an increasing growing problem with antisocial behaviour from certain groups/individuals/family's. Shannon, sixmilebridge, Ennis, Newmarket on Fergus, even bunratty etc..... Once perfect places to live and raise a family. Not so anymore. It's hard to go into specifics here for obvious reasons but if you can afford it and the area suits, buy in the more rural areas. It might mean a longer commute but your life will be better off. You could purchase a perfectly fine house in Shannon in the morning, only to find out that your neighbours are utter scumbags who make your life hell. Just ask any one from sixmilebridge what's happened in their village in the last few years. A beautiful country village, being slowly ruined by a minority.

Having that said,by all accounts Limerick is no better. I've no idea where you're relocating from but if it was me I'd seriously think long and hard about returning home. If I was in Canada or Australia for example, I'd be staying right where I am. Ireland is not what it was. It certainly has its positives, but choosing a nice place to live is so difficult. Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Even the small more rural villages are no longer immune from this. Known antisocial types are being given accommodation and are destroying these places. Very few towns in Clare now without a serious drug and crime element.

Maybe the whole country is the same though, I couldn’t say. Could be just the way of the modern world.

Agreed. Tbh when I said "rural areas" I meant back roads outside villages, towns etc. I do believe it's a country wide problem, Ireland has changed and unfortunately not for the better IMO. I have cousins returning home in the next few months from Australia, leaving good careers and lifestyles behind them. My mind boggles as to why. If I could in the morning, I'd jack it all in and head for Canada( if they'd accept me of course😁). As I say I don't know where the OP currently is based, but they might want to think long and hard first before booking the flights....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LAT

Thanks for the replies and appreciate the hard cold truth. We are currently in Spain and while that might sound great, it too has changed hugely in the years that I’ve been here. It’s only viable, if retiring and even the soaring temperatures might change that too. I have a great job and well paid taking into consideration that the average wage where I am is approximate 1.200€ net a month. My husband on the other hand is Spanish, a fully qualified tradesman and earns very little. Our reason for wanting to relocate is mainly due to the fact that long term prospects here are very, very bad. Also, we have a very young child, so schooling, opportunities for him are also big factors. We live in a fairly rural village and there is also antisocial behavior here and plenty of drugs too. Unfortunately it’s a problem everywhere these days. In our experience and having spoken to friends, living in a more rural location (which would be our preference) is very inconvenient when both parents have to work and also have to be chauffeuring kids around. Shannon seemed to tick all of the boxes, now I’m not sure….

Maybe have a look at Quin? Lovely picturesque village but still close enough to Ennis, Shannon etc.... And btw your husband won't be looking for work long here. Serious shortage of tradesmen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Shannon is no better or worse than any other town. However you will struggle to find accommodation very few properties to rent or at times absolutely none, small amount of properties for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I've lived in Shannon since the very early '70's and thankfully have had good experiences. I'm living in a mature estate not too far from the Shopping centre and am happy there, my adult children live in the town as well and their experiences are much the same.

There are problems, name me a town that doesn't have them, but overall I would recommend it to live in. I can't speak for SMB but I do know several people living in Newmarket on Fergus and there is a good community spirit there, maybe look at that ?

Re housing costs, you'll pick up a 3 bed terrace for 170/180sih, probably in need of updating and insulation. There are larger houses for sale but the costs of those really ramp up.

There is a dreadful shortage of rental properties, has been like that for the last few years and if you get something it's twice the cost of a mortgage.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you can find or afford accommodation, Killaloe/Ballina would be worth looking at.

Personally, I think this country is stuffed and am planning to get out. On the bright side, tradesmen should be in high demand given the housing shortage problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LAT

Thanks to everyone for their replies and information provided. You’ve all been very helpful, we will have a look around next month when we are go on a flying visit.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There's a couple of Shannon Community groups on facebook, you may want to join to get an idea of what the people of shannon are talking about. Currently it's full buses that are the busiest posts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement