Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair deal scheme

Options
  • 25-09-2022 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, can anyone explain to me why I can't sell the family home and leave it vacant in the middle of a housing crisis in order to satisfy the fair deal scheme.Would it not make more sense to sell it now and pay the money owed for FDS in advance and let the house be a home again.I know I can rent it out but I'm not interested in that, thanks.

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭gipi

According to citizens information, the home can be sold, and the net proceeds will be assessed for 3 years at the same rate as the property. This isn't mentioned on the HSE page on fair deal.

For some reason, I can't post a link to the citizens information page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breneuro

Thanks for your help, still not sure about what to do, but I'll go and have a talk with citizen advice and see what they say, cheers breneuro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you keep the home you pay the charge on it for 3 years. If you turn it into cash then you pay a charge forever like any other asset you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

That changed last October, I know because I have just gone through the process with a relative.

You can now sell the family home and the proceeds are assessed for three years as if it was still a property, and not assessed as a cash asset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement