Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/2023 winter season thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Skied Cervinia above it a few times. One of the longest piste desents in Europe is said to be from the top of Cervinia / Zermatt down to the bottom of Valtourneche, though from recollection there is one short button lift over a hump that interrupts it

A great thing to do in Cervinia is to get the last lift up to the top of the ridge, wait about half an hour then ski down with the Alpenglow on the Matterhorn (Mont Cervino in Italian). Majestic wide pistes and views, totally empty at that time, and its a really long run, superb. Could probably do similar to Valtourneche or get a bus from Cervinia.

Good eating on the pistes in Cervinia, Chalet Etoile for some Greta pleasing seafood at 2000m 🙄

The only tip I would have is be wary of the international pass - it gets you in to Zermatt but if you get a week long one you don't get the free days in the other Aosta valley resorts, which can be necessary as wind can sometimes close the entire Cervina / Valtourneche area. If that's a risk maybe upgrade your Aosta pass for the day that you want to go over to visit Zermatt. Definitely worth one trip for the Toblerone view of Matterhorn, the remarkable lift system and Europe's highest ski lift

If going turn off your phone as they will try and do you for 70 euro for sending a whats app

La Thuile. Unfortunately the way the weather came in it was getting loads of snow (I'd say 60 - 80cm) and much less for the elusive Monte Rosa resorts so they'll just have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

That’s great appreciate the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I skied La Thuile when it didn’t stop snowing for three days, it’s was fantastic. If you can get the bus to Courmayer for the day, it’s brilliant with fresh powder.

Only here for a short break and have done Courmayeur before so staying put. We were in the linked French resort (La Rosiere) today and the off piste was everywhere. Totally tracked out but the snow is so cold that it was still lovely and soft. They have this freeride zone thing which is just fantastic.

Aosta has so much to offer and I still haven't managed those three other valleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

Can anyone recommend to a complete newbie some resorts where we can learn to ski? Or is there anywhere where we can get lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

There are beginner slopes in almost all resorts and schools too.

Your choice would probably be dependent on the costs.

A small ski area would do for first week or weekend of skiing as you won't be travelling as far.

Some places even have couple of free lifts in beginner areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Just back from my first ever ski trip to St Johann in Austria.

Great time away and already looking at booking again for next year probably somewhere in France. Ideally somewhere that has plenty of nice easy blue runs that i can gently meander down. Anyone got any suggestions for such a resort with plenty of blue run options? As a first timer i don't see myself ever progressing further than a red slope and even then they are tough work so would prefer to stick to the blues.

Definitely wasn't prepared for how steep some of the runs would be...i suppose you are coming down a mountain after all! Wish i'd started it when i was a teenager or younger rather than waiting until i was 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Don’t rule out Italy if you want nice easy slopes. Somewhere like Cervinia would be good, wide open and noting too challenging at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into Cervinia for 2024!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 booboo9

Been a few years since I've been able to go with covid and work etc. In the last couple of days i've got an awful pain to go and saw there's a Lyon flight out Cork.

Does anyone know the best/fastest transfer to Chamonix from Lyon and any good websites for accomodation?

TIA

Advertisement