Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping flat warm

Options
  • 25-09-2022 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking ahead for winter and my apartment gets cold. As soon as I switch of the electric heating, the heat is lost. Is there any way to keep the heat in for longer? Seems like it will be a waste of electricity in heating up the place when it just gets cold again.

I don't know. I read something about getting thicker curtains. Would something like that help at all since I have a cheap light curtains from penney's?

Is there anything else I can do to help keep heat in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Line your windows with bubble-wrap.

Do you own or rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Curtains would definitely help, but aren't always cheap.. Check draft excluders on your external door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I had to read this twice, still don’t believe someone typed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Draught excluders on windows and doors, heavy curtains.

You don't need to keep the apartment warm, you need to keep you warm. Consider electric blankets and electric throws, an extra jumper and wooly socks when you're at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Somewhat in jest. But it still works, a little. Not so much if already double glazed.

OP as a tenant your options are limited to things you purchased. So if you supplied the curtains then definitely replace them. You may be able to fit draught strips, if you do it properly. Other than that you need to ask the landlord.

What kind of heating do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burti16

It's proven to be the cheapest heating. You may lit up after switching off main heater

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And in a power cut? Good old-fashioned hot water bottles every time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

90 percent of people won’t have means to boil the kettle in a power cut. And unlikely to have water hot enough in the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

😉

Used this before. It gets surprisingly hot to touch

And yes, the bubblewrap does work https://www.ecoenergygeek.com/bubble-wrap-window-insulation/

• Advertisement

Many do. And if not? Plan ahead and invest in a small camping stove/cartridges, After a long power cut in cold weather I reorganised. Gas cooker, and I already had a small camping stove,, candles.. solid fuel fire or a bottled gas heater. I once got caught out in a long power cut when I was all electric.. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Heavy curtains makes a big difference. But not cheap.

Thick socks and slippers. Cold feet really makes you lose a lot of body heat. (Unless you've under floor heating) Then layers of clothing. Doesn't have to be thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Put up floor to ceiling curtains and you can get thermal lined or heavy lined ones from Guineys, Penny’s or Harry Corry.

Please note you may have to wash on very low settings and you may not be able to iron them. You may find a set in a charity shop.

Make sure you air your apartment at least once a day as cooking, drying clothes and showers and people may cause mould or dampness.

You can buy low energy heaters. Search for low energy oil heaters. If you have night storage or night rate please remember every electric heater you use you will be charged standard when ever you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Heavy curtains cost an absolute fortune, especially if they're floor to ceiling.

I have an open doorway to a converted attic, and got thermal lining from a fabric shop and have it hung as a curtain - it's not pretty, but it's very effective.

I also stuff foam into the all the joints of my warped patio doors once it gets cold, and have a pal who duct tapes his for the winter!

Basically, look for draughts and seal/block them.

(as above, if you do this, beware of drying clothes indoors or you'll destroy the place with mould).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Being someone mentioned bubble wrap,you can get a clear covering that offers thermal insulation or reflection for windows,

Someone suggested tea lights , instead of tea lights buy large candles and 5/6 on something like a coffee table will give you some heat and light too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Blackout blinds can give you the same effect, and you can hang them behind your existing curtains, layer them up!

Ikea and Argos do them for cheap enough. You don't need floor to ceiling unless you have floor to ceiling windows, you can get shorter ones.

You just want to stop your lovely warm apartment air from getting near the cold window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

I throw an sleeping bag over me watching tv

made draught excluders ( rolled up old t shirts / jeans in a pillow case)

am intending to put a curtain behind the front door ( Munster joinery crap)

and putting more rubber around the Munster joinery windows 🙄)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Do not know the wall size you need to cover but go well passed with window openings. I have two windows in one wall and I continued the curtains along the full wall. Holds the heat. I have one long pole along to wall.

Thermal 90x90 in Guineys are on sale €38.50 in duck egg or green on their website. You can always bring the curtains with you when you move. It may be a bit of an expense now but you will have them going forward and will save you long term. Just have a look around.

Make sure they are flush the wall also. No gaps.

Please take great care not to .... enshrine ..yourself in a house or a room that has no air getting in. Some of these draft ideas ... Thebiggest killer is carbon monoxide poisoning.. The stats are shocking. They call it the silent killer as there are no symptoms or signs, Look it up? You just go to sleep.... forever.

Air in any room or house HAS to circulate and fresh air HAS to be let in. leave the ventilation grilles uncovered. The only one I covered here is directly above my bed faciing the ocean... My bedroom door is never closed and there are other grilles..

• Advertisement

"The biggest killer is carbon monoxide poisoning"

What stats is this referring to? What's the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

A bit tangental, but there was a single parent in the paper, indo, saying her electric bill for her and her son was 300 per bi monthly over the summer. A 2 bed apartment in Dublin.

My bill is approx 180 per bimonthly on average (including winter), for a 3 bed 60's house with attic converted, a poor enough BER, so a much bigger space to heat etc. With 4 people in it. And I was working from home til recently. Yet she's consuming almost double my household? How?

Are such people putting on electric heating and then opening the windows and doors cos it's too hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My bill is around 120 bimonthly for a 3 bed duplex with two people. My big concern is last gas bill was 355 for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and all radiators off. Talking to neighbours and they said the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Jesus. Kids are gonna have to wrap up in hazmat suits in my house so during the winter. I've had the gas off since March.

The person in the indo said she'd gas too, so wtf on the £300 per bi month esb during the summer in a 2 bed? Data mining...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What are you heating with the gas when the rads are turned off? Water?

Yes, I shower in the morning, my lodger showers at night

Get an electric shower.

I don't use the timer for heating only the hour boost setting. Stops a lot of unnecessary use. Also heating and water are zoned separately..

Looked into it, way too complex for the way my ensuite and bathroom are set up without ripping everything out - which is the long term plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

Consider getting a dehumidifier, it dries out the air and makes your house feel warmer. It’s good for getting clothes dry quicker if you’re having to dry them indoors. My old house was very damp and cold when I moved in last winter. I ran the dehumidifier almost constantly and it’s amazing how quickly it dried the place out and how much warmer it felt. Now I only pop it on for a couple of hours after morning showers, or if I have a load of clothes on the clothes horse.

Advertisement