Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly married couples who share their wedding pictures to the online/local newspaper

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

Local paper here, bigish town, photos every week of weddings in the local venues and pics of people having nights out for various reasons birthdays/engagements/anniversary/you name it from local bars/restaurants. The paper actually sends out a photographer to take these, it's not the people themselves sending in pics. Only difference might be the weddings, I would think it is the wedding photographer supplying them to the paper's photographer rather than rushing around every venue every weekend trying to take pics.

I have met the local paper photographer at a christening in a hotel where he was out to take a pic for the paper, have also met him at Christmas parties and the like. Of course you have the choice not to have your pic included but most people don't seem to have a problem with it. I love looking at the wedding pics every week and recognising children of school friends etc etc. What's the harm! During Covid there was no pics like this, don't know what the paper used to fill the pages, felt like it was sport, I throw away half the paper every week with all that sport stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I would not like pictures of me published without my permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why do people who have been living together for years even bothered getting married?

Is it a tax thing?

To show off?

What’s the point of it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I think it's multi factoral - tax, tradition, cultural, societal expectation, validation, loneliness, pay out in the divorce 🤷‍♀️

And wanting to go a step further with their commitment. It I can't really describe why or how it feels the way it does for me.

Oops left that out, the obvious one of showing ones love and commitment to/with the other

Actually a great question. I'm mid 40s and have no idea.

Is it commitment. Nope. Already there

Is it tax stuff. Nope. Not beneficial to either of us.

Is it next of kin. Yep.

I'm in Thursday to get it sorted. Ridiculous I'm nervous, but I am. Not cold feet nervous, more butterflies in my belly nervous. So silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

People do it to prove that they have now become intrinsically part of the local day to day normie, newspaper purchasing, tidy town community. Because if you are on the other end of the local spectrum and do your own thing, then you are viewed as a total dangerous bastard, not be trusted in any shape or form.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Legal next of kin is important, it's also important for fathers to have parental rights.

Ultimately for whatever reason someone chooses to marry is the only valid one.

• Advertisement

No issue with dogging. Fire away, so to speak.

lol What made you immediately link to 'dogging' from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

My parents in their70' and 80's still have a cut out of a local paper of their wedding during the early 70's.

One from The Kerryman and the other from The Kilkenny People. Both from these counties.

I'm just saying. If that's your thing. I won't judge.

Not my thing man, sorry. No 'Dogging' section in the local Ballywhack Tribune where I live. Pointless joining it anyways seeing how its all married people involved in it down the car park.

Cool. As I said I'm not one to judge.

You seem to know lot about the scene. I'm sure heresay.

• Advertisement

I drink in the same venue as the taxi drivers. And they know everything. More than the local newspapers, believe it or not.

I used to have cynical view of marriage and felt it wasn't for me. If I came across the papers you mention OP I would certainly roll my eyes. Deep down though I knew my views were not authentic and I held them as a sort of defense. What I very much would love seemed an impossibility, until it wasn't. Marriage isn't necessary at all I think, so many couples don't tie the knot. It is no indication of the depth of love or commitment both have for each other. It matters to me though but I couldn't tell you why exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Local and regional papers have always been stacked with pictures from Weddings, Retirements, 21sts etc. It's just what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Here's my take on it.

John and Sharon get married this weekend. If John and Sharon's wedding ends up in the local paper in the next few weeks it's generally put in either by the couple or the parents.

However sometimes the local paper might do a feature on weddings, it may include venues, hotels, etc and then photographers , florists, etc. In these cases the photographer, venue, etc might ask the couple can the feature their photos.

With stuff such as first days of schools, Communions, etc a local photographer is generally around taking pictures and it's used to fill space in the paper if there's and they'll be a few pages of first days of school, Communions, etc.(I'm sure you can say no but it can be hard).

However if weeks after the communion a single photo appears it's generally put in by the family.

Why people do it?

To show off their perfect family.

To let these who couldn't attend.

You do it to keep people happy.

There's lots of reasons.

I love the "depth of love" part.

I'm male. About a a foot taller than my future wife ans 8 stone heavier.

Do I feel protective. Damnn straight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You really think that they could put your pic in the paper without your permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

EdIt: NEVERMIND

This used to be a good website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

There is no discount from photographer for putting the pic in the local paper, photographer is never even mentioned in the pics so how could it be good for their business and worth a discount! Some of the photos are taken by the paper's own photographer and of course people give permission for it to go into paper. Most like it in there and if not there is the option to not bother with it.

Back home in Texas my local paper had a section for weddings and divorces.You had photos of the couples in both sections for whatever reasons I have no idea.

Well I guess some tended to celebrate their divorce more than when they got hitched,But it was always a popular section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We're the divorce photos leaving the courthouse or at the doorstep holding up the decree? That sounds brilliant 👏

It was individual pics of the couple with the divorce decree article.With both dressed to the nines I guess scouting for their next relationship.It was a very popular section of the paper.

• Advertisement

You don't know the half of it.They would showcase certain couples where the former husband and wife would showcase themselves.Both talking about what they look for in a relationship while trash talking their former spouse.Everyone loves a scandal so that is why it was so popular in the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Personally I don't have an issue with it. It wouldn't be my cup of tea but if others want to do so then off with them.

With my local rag it's the couple that put it in and add all the details as well. They usually mention everyone, the venue, the MUA, hair stylists, dress and suit suppliers, photographer etc. I can imagine that it's only good for those suppliers as well as for future brides/grooms who might be looking for local contacts or ideas.

As someone else mentioned it can be a nice keepsake for some people as well.

I semi-regularly supply (sports) photos for my local rag and there's no doubt but that it sells papers. With all the online stuff nowadays, FB, Insta, Snapchat etc., you still can't beat being 'in the paper'. Even the youngsters love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If local papers started doing that in Ireland they would be unable to print enough copies to keep up with demand. Nosy bunch of c*nts we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fairly common practice in small towns and built up areas for the free paper to send the local photographers around to weddings birthdays and events to get a few photos to publish.

I'm a ride anyway so my mug on the front page of a paper is going to move papers to aul spinsters for their w**k bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it tax stuff. Nope. Not beneficial to either of us.

Makes a huge difference when one of you dies (I was going to say "if", but it's not really an "if", is it...) with inheritance tax and getting a widow(er)'s pension.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Good point.

But I did mention something similar afterwards.

Advertisement