Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can charging cards be added to Google Wallet

• 26-09-2022 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully I'll get the car this time but from reading here it looks like you need a dozen or so cards to be able to access the best prices on public chargers. Is it possible to add the cards to Google Wallet, and the Apple equivalent, or will I need to carry a card wallet for long journeys? I don't want install dozens of Apps if possible.

Do any of the Apps for charging points have the ability to filter for decent walks? Looking on Plugshare and I can see Marlay Park in Dublin has a charger so if I need to charge I can go there and walk the park for a while. Are there any other places that have you can walk around, that aren't motorway services, while waiting for the car to charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly it's better to charge at home if you can and the cost is relatively little per year.

95+% of chargers are esb and these can be activated using esb phone app. Keep the card as a backup in your car. This app is important as you can see your credit and if the charging session is running ok etc.

3% of chargers are easygo and these can be activated using the app and keep the easygo fob as a backup in your car.

The rest of chargers are free or need a specific app, most don't issue RFID cards. If going to UK or mainland Europe there are specific cards that work better particularly "universal" roaming cards.

So I can't answer your specific question but my cards stay in the car, not my wallet.

In terms of free charging near a park in Dublin these are ones I can think of

(might be broken)

There are others but these are the ones suitable for walks in South Dublin and free from the top of my head.

Beware of you don't need a charge (as in can home charge) please don't plug in as locals or visitors without home charging may be relying on them as their own way to fill up .

All known chargers are on plugshare app of all brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Live in an apartment so can't charge at home, I have contacted the OMC about chargers but we've unallocated parking and a big site so will be expensive and we need to figure out where to put chargers. I can charge in work and hopefully will never need to use the local public chargers.

Thanks for the walking locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There is currently no electric car charge operator in Ireland that supports Google or Apple wallet but the tech is there. I think when smaller operators come into the market who might only have a handful of chargers they might go down this road rather than issuing their own cards or creating their own apps

One exception is at the credit card tap-to-pay terminals such as the one at Birdhill and some easygo/lidl sites you can use your credit/debit card through Android or Apple Wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Personally I would not buy an EV with no home charging. Cheap home charging is the main benefit to EV ownership (along with half price tolls but that might change this year)

Even if you get apartment charging it's unlikely to be at a very cheap rate. The public free chargers are unlikely to be free in a few years, most are "trials" and most have the ability to go pay to use overnight.

If you must be in work every day, and if work have far more chargers than demand and if work is free to charge or rediculously cheap then it might work but I would be worried over Xmas period, and on weekends you may end up hunting for a charge and waiting in car for multiple hours.

Personally I would try get a used plug in hybrid that can manage your commute on battery alone, and then you have no stress or hassle.

Public charging regularly or even the odd time is a right pain, you might arrive at marley park and find all chargers in use, then go somewhere else and find all busy etc. You will find people will plug in even if they have a home charger as free is cheaper than home rates. Sites with 4+ free chargers can all be full on peak times such as a sunny Thursday evening at a park.

If you don't already own an EV consider your options carefully. You don't want to create problems with a new purchase when it's not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's plenty of chargers in work and I'm one of the 1st people in. My current car doesn't have much more range than the one I'm buying and I only put petrol in that bi weekly. I looked at PHEVs but none in my price range had the range to get to and from work so I'd have to use the petrol engine, so the worse of both options of buying petrol and charging.

• Advertisement

The issue with work charging is that if more People get an EV the first person to plug in will think they can stay plugged in all 8 hrs of work or more if on shift, you say anything to management they'll get p1ssed off, if People start fighting over them next you know the charge points will be switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I'd agree that home charging is a must for me. As ev demand outstrips the pace of public charger installs it would be a headache

Thankfully I have a cheap night rate and 95%+ or my yearly charging will be at home.

The whole charging cards/rfid also needs an overhaul. Everything should either be contact less or via an app if u have a discounted rate with a supplier. Having to carry a plethora of different cards around is just silly.

Ideally yes via Google pay but an app on phone would be just as handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I've also heard that ionity are displaying a QR code at chargers in the uk to direct u to a payment gateway. But scammers have replaced it with their own gateway.

Talk about an obvious loophole.

The tesla experience is so seamless but I guess that is bespoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They have QR codes in Ireland too. But - get this - they link to the wrong unit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

the only problem with apps is they don't always work... at least with cards you always have that backup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its simple. You create rules around its use and people abide by the rules.

Its not like public charging where you are dealing with strangers. Rules can be enforced in a workplace and its not rocket science... its a charging space, not a parking space.

There will always be a88holes, of course!

Its not an issue at our site anyway. Everyone respects the rules and we can message each other about moving if we need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Yeah the apps can be a pain. I was at a DC charger last night that was showing as occupied on the easy go app (as well as the other DC charger) and there was nobody there. I then had to download the ESB app and use that to get the charge session going. Once I did that the easy-go app updated to the correct status. I am a new EV driver so still learning the charging stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah at our work place there's an app and you authorise to start charging.. after 4 hours you get an email asking to move your car.. its not an issue at the moment as more chargers than cars most days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

That is ESB app advertising wrong status of the charger. Even in their app things are the same. Chargers are unavailable on the map but if you drill down to the specific socket of the charger you can see its true status. Know issue for the last 2 years -ish The best option use the RFID cards.

Advertisement