Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I join these two pipes on a domestic heating system

• 26-09-2022 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Gave the oil fired boiler a test run before things go too cold. Pipes in the attached separated. I do not have access to a crimper. How can I join these? Copper pipe fitting says 1", plastic pipe measured 30mm OD.

Plumber says it will be six weeks before he can get to me.

Once joined, I was thinking of lowering the pressure on the pressure relief valve, if that can be done, and adjust it up gradually until system was up to temperature and air out. Not concerned about a mess as the system is outside. The thinking behind this is I don't know why these pipes separated. This is the second join to go. First one was in February. Expansion vessel was tested then and no problem there.

.Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ring around and try other plumbers. I am no plumber but it looks like a small enough job. Surely there is some plumber that could do it as a Nixer or as an evening job. Ask in the pub maybe if you go to the pub.

Where do you live? I know a couple of plumbers I could ask if you live near Kildare.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Very few are answering phones, leaving messages but no call back. This time of year is a busy season for plumbers. I'm in a very rural area in the SE, old timers are few and far between. I'm able for most jobs, just not familiar with these light plastic pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm trying to work out whether that's a failed push-fit or a compression fitting (not a plumber!).

Is that copper pipe the hot feed from the boiler? If so, how long is it and are you overheating the water or having pump issues? I'm just wondering by virtue of the way which the pipe seems to have pulled off the joint with the melted residue? Is there much slack on the free insulated pipe?

If it's a standard plastic PEX double-barrier pipe then you could cut the crimp cleanly off it, install an insert and use a standard compression elbow on the end of that existing vertical pipe. Make up any remaining distance between the elbow and insulated pipe by creating a short pipe extension.

But long-term, that free piping should be supported in case that's part of your overall problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

This is the plastic pipe, 30mm outside diameter. Its new tech to me, gun barrel pipe was used in my previous house..

I'll have to have a look at the pump set up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can you go to a plumbers merchant and ask in there, they should know what type of fitting it is?

Advertisement