Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-instate Open fire

• 26-09-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have what was an open fire in my house. The previous owner fitted an electric fire in the hearth. My question is this, is it a big job to reinstate the open fire. Chimney breast and Chimney itself still there. I'd need the fire back/hearth installed along with the grate, ash pan etc; . The fireplace is not bad in good condition.

Does anyone know if this is a big job, Cost ???

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't answer your question re cost directly, but I will say you should consider installing a stove of some sort instead of the electric fire.

An open fire is a spectacular way of wasting heat and fuel (and I speak from a lifetime of experience here!), and even if you don't burn and waste fuel in it, an open chimney is just one huge draught into your room.

You can get "lids" for the chimney, or use chimney balloons - but sticking a freestanding stove into my large fireplace was some of the best money I've ever spent - draught excluder and room heater all in one, and I still have a lovely real fire to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Thanks for your response. For me the open fire is what we want. I've had one all my life and I absolutely love it. I miss it so much atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that being open means that they are wasting a load of money and adding pollution both to the room and the neighbourhood.

Reinstating the fire, maybe €500-1000, If you need to do a back boiler, flue works, etc., I would say anything up to €3,000.

Advertisement