Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating system assessment

• 27-09-2022 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

HI, I've a oil boiler and underfloor heating system with 2 manifolds. The house is 12 years old and boiler room is very warm all the time and thinking something going on that is burning away the oil. My question is "are there companies that would come do an assessment with recommendations on changes/set up etc" or is a matter of getting a "normal" plumber out (plumber who installed system has long left the country). Based in Limerick/Shannon area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Re

are there companies that would come do an assessment with recommendations on changes/set up etc

There are many, however regrettably many won't solve your problem.

Is the boiler is working all the time?

If so then you need to look at the time and temperature controls.

1: Times and programmer settings

Some programmers have a few options after you have set the times for on off

typically they are like the items below

off- will stay off regardless of times

on or off - auto which is reflecting the times

so if showing off - auto, its waiting for the next on time and visa versa

on - 24 hrs which means it over rides the times and will stay on

The programmer must take precedent over the stats, except for a frost stat.

2 Temps

once u have sorted 1 and are in control of the above

you need to look at the stats: room/zone and DHW cylinder stats and see are they working/ wired correctly

I once saw a system with similar issues where there were multiple zones all controlled by zone valves wired through relays.

The relays were 11 pin, the design required 13 pin, so when one relay closed when heat was called for, the power got to all the rest.

So maybe the stats are wired incorrectly

Am not a plumber but the above is the basics: you need to solve the problem before calling anyone

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is your boiler room part of the house. Are the pipes in the boiler room insulated? Some pictures would help

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Do you feel you are using more oil than you should? Do you hear the boiler firing when its not supposed to be?

As above check that the heating schedule is set correctly and that its not set to maintain a specific minimum temperature especially when the house feels warm enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Put up a photo of boiler, timer, zones, thermostats, radiator thermostats and you may get good advice here.

Also how do you heat hot water, do you have instant shower like Triton, or use just water from hot tank heated by oil or heated by electric immersion?

How well is house insulated is usually first and cheapest fix. 350mm of fibreglass in attic for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The other possibility is a broken weather compensation sensor, or a broken frost sensor

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement