Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Size wins out over technical ability as it generally does at this level. But, apart from a couple of nice moves, and one excellent try, that was a much of a slog as a 17 point win can be. For the most part the Welsh backs played the best rugby, they were just physically overpowered. Alongside the physical advantage it was mainly a handful of strong individual performances that saw us through.

We've only lost 2 Under 20 six nations games in four years so that sets the bar very high for these lads. But hopefully they'll be better in front of a home crowd next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Great game,unreal skill shown by both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Nothing I said was wrong. Read the praise I gave them when they started playing well.

The "appalling rugby team" comment may have been harsh. But they were playing appallingly. And I never once criticized an individual player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It would almost make you forgive and seek the return of George Hook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Only a matter of time I'd say before S Africa will want their u20s side in the 6 nations. What a competition it would be then.

England just about beat Scotland at home and France the same over Italy in Italy. Very close games which is great to see as Wales and Scotland have been also rans the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ok so everyone was pretty frustrated with the silly errors and defence but it's important to remember that these guys are young and games like this are going to happen. As others pointed out, there is plenty of talent in that team that very rarely seemed to click together. I think they'll be better next game, as we seemed to grow in confidence in this one.

It's always difficult to tell how each u20 team is actually going to play each year but I think this side is mostly what a lot of people thought we'd be - some really interesting players in the pack but a lot less talent out wide. The defence was pretty much as expected as well probably. I remember watching them at u19 level (obviously there were some different players) and they were very porous in the backs against france when they won, and I heard they got ran threw in the second game in Dublin. The pack shouldn't get off light either, I thought they were poor tonight as well and I wonder if the backrow (or any of them) are quick enough to provide that link between the backs and forwards in defence when the ball is moved quickly wide.

Paddy McCarthy plays very much on the edge like his brother, and he reminds me a lot of Jack Boyle with how sharp his hits and carries are despite his size.

Gleeson looks exceptional, its rare to find his combination of size and skill. Big bodies like him and Coombes will be important for Munster to get the most out of Kendellan and Hodnett imo. Quinn looked good but maybe not quite as advertised - is openside likely to be his position going forward or is he playing there just to get our best players on the field? Hodnett and Kendellan struck me as having the right tools for the position and Quinn might have the size to play elsewhere.

As an Ulster fan I'm glad our sole representative didn't embarrass us. Thank you James McNabney lol.

Sam Prendergast looked very tidy. I thought he looks awkward running with the ball but he clearly has that step and offload down. Most importantly he looked very calm picking out the right passes and waiting for the right time to try and create overlaps. There was a lot of hype around the scrumhalf but he was just ok. Some mistakes but a nice pass, and clearly loves looking for his moment at the edge of the ruck.

I think Cooney played mostly well. He's a little undersized but plays physical - hopefully develops like liam Turner has.

Back three was very poor imo, looked a lot better when McErlean came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Excellent win for the U20s some great tries from both sides but the Quinn try was try of game.

That result was hard to see in the first half but going in one point down at halftime must have given some hope and it looks like the coaches calmed the nerves and got the lads to focus on what they do best.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Well I'll be delighted if we see a better game this season, seniors or otherwise, some fantasy rugby there.

No, but it's totally over the top.

That's a really good win against a good Welsh side at home. Welsh had some outrageously talented backs and some real speed and offloading ability, but Irish were the better side and when the passes stuck they made ground very easily.

Welsh 13 Louie Hennessy was electric and the best player on the pitch imo. Their 9 was quality too.

Ireland have a good quality abrasive pack, full of big carriers who are good ball handlers. We look like we're lacking some quality in the back three though imo. Last year's 20's back three of Campbell, King and Mullins with this pack would be electric.

Very impressed by Gus McCarthy, Diarmuid Mangan, Brian Gleeson and Paddy McCarthy up front. I thought Fintan Gunne really struggled for 50 mins or so and was guilty of forcing things too much and trying to snipe too often. When he settled into the game, Ireland clicked well. Prendergast equally had a mixed opening 50 mins, and then produced 15 sublime minutes of real quality. For such a big lad he looks a really talented footballer. The offload for Nicholson's second try was top class. He's a really good striker of a dead ball too.

I think they'd be better served pushing Gavin into the centres (where he played a lot of the warm ups). McErlean definitely brought a spark when introduced, and looks a nice footballer. His pass in the lead up to Quinn's try was nice.

I wouldn't be overly harsh on Anagu; whole team looked disjointed at that point, and he got very little in the way of good ball.

Bench brought good impact too, with Paul's nephew and Frankie's two nephews looking busy.

Good win, this team should improve as they get more cohesive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Missed the U20s match. Worth catching back the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Great win, pack very large and powerful, kind of reminds me of times when we go up against France and England at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yep a very good game. Lots of errors but two good teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I agree, Anagu got very little delivery to his channel and his handling errors were from poor passes. Hope he gets another chance to show what he's capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Took them a while but that was a very satisfying vivisection of the Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Way more players i like in this team, but last year’s team would beat them. Under 20s is weird like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Felt like Leinster when they play with the heavy pack options. Grind for 50 minutes and keep it close and cut open in the last 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought there was more to them than grind. Just took them a while to find their form, but when they did they blew the Welsh challenge away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Gleeson was magnificent! Man child. It looked to me that we had 3 #8's playing in the backrow. They were good but, not much pace. McNabney and Quinn were good. Decent hit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

You definetly tell the Nicholson try was a big moment for this team, as soon as we edged in front you could feel the confidence grow instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Some of the commentary here was over the top. Sure Ireland didn't play well in the opening 50, but it was their first game out. You can see the coaches have thrown alot at them in terms of their attacking structure, with the forward pods and passes out the back. It takes time for it to bed in and they'll be much better from this game.

Some very good prospects in the pack. From a Munster pov, watching Gleeson was like a carbon copy of Gavin Coombes this season. Paddy McCarthy has great hands for a prop. I imagine Nicholson will start on the wing the next day, though Anagu didn't get much of oppertunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anugu was very poor. He looks a unit though and could turn it around. The Welch centers were great. Very enjoyable to watch.

Gleeson looks like he could play senior rugby.... yesterday. This lad will be better than Coombes, imo.

Gunne did ok. I think he will improve as the tournament goes on. He reminds me of Casey.

Edit: obviously impressions from ONE game and subject to radical change.

I watched most of the game again on youtube.

The best back on the field was the wales 13. He looks like he has everything. They in general had better backs.

Gunne was interesting. Very crisp passer. REALLY good box kicker. Seems fast and athletic as well. Made pretty bad decisions throughout but that is something he can learn.

Prendergast is kind of stiff. Not sure how athletic he is. Great skills and seems to see the field well. Good kicker off the tee. Not a great kicker from hand.

McCarthy looks like a loosehead and looks like a potentially elite loosehead. Does not move like a prop. Not sure why he’s playing tighthead. Needs to put on weight on that side but has the frame.

Quinn was out wide alot (seems to be what the seven does in this system) and the ball just didnt get there. He has all the tools though.

Gleeson looks like a beast with a mean streak. The other McCarthy was handy as well. Mangan another big guy with a mean streak.

One thing i’d like to see different at under 20s is to use the subs earlier. Give guys 20 minutes at least.

Overall my impression of the team before hand held up. Better individuals this year but maybe better team last year.

I'd have pretty much exactly the same view on Gunne. Didn't think he played well last night, but you can see all the tools there.

Agree on Paddy McCarthy too - what I like about him as well is he has that kind of niggle in his game that you want in your front row forwards. He was never over the top, but you can see a meanness and an aggression in his carrying and tackling.

Gleeson looks the real deal as a No 8 - great size and athletic profile.

On Sam Prendergast - I don't think he lacks athleticism. He showed a bit of pace a few times, and definitely has a nice step to him. I think both half backs struggled for the first 50 mins of the game, and repeatedly made poor decisions. But when he clicked, you saw the player he can be. He's a long way away from being ready for the next level above, but to me the tools are there. He's worth investing in, as to me he looks a better prospect than the arguably more functional (right now) Charlie Tector.

Yea. Need to see more obviously but prendergast interests me more than Tector. Functional and polished are two words i’d use for Tector. Of course, sometimes a guy with what seems like a lower ceiling just keeps improving.

Gunne’s box kicking was so strong, that it seems to me that with an experienced 10 outside him, you could blood him pretty quickly if he makes the academy. You know he can exit and be an asset in the kicking game pretty much immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

For those of you who may be interested, this is what the Irish team were facing from a size perspective:

1. Dylan Kelleher-Griffiths - 5'11 - 112kg
    2. Sam Scarfe - 5'11 - 101kg
    3. Tomas Pritchard - 5'10 - 112kg
    4. Liam Edwards - 6'6 - 127kg
    5. Jonny Green - 6'7 - 116kg
    6. Ryan Woodman - 6'5 - 107kg
    7. Luca Giannini - 6'1 - 102kg
    8. Huw Davies - 6'4 - 95kg
    9. Archie Hughes - 5'8 - 73kg
    10. Daniel Edwards - 5'10 - 83kg
    11. Harri Houston - 5'10 - 82kg
    12. Harri Ackerman - 6'1 - 97kg
    13. Louie Hennessy - 6'3 - 105kg
    14. Llien Morgan - 5'11 - 85kg
    15. Cameron Winnett - 5'10 - 84kg
    16. Isaac Young (Hooker) - 5'11 - 105kg
    17. Freddie Chapman (Prop) - 6'3 - 115kg
    18. Ellis Fackrell (Prop) - 6'1 - 116kg
    19. Owain Evans (Lock) - 6'4 - 103kg
    20. Mackenzie Martin (Back Row) - 6'5 - 116kg
    21. Harri Williams (Scrum Half) - 5'8 - 78kg
    22. Harrison James (Fly Half) - 5'11 - 90kg
    23. Tom Florence (Centre) - 6'2 - 95kg

Louie Hennessy at 13 for Wales is as good a player as I've seen at that level in some time. Didn't realise he was that big either. Serious prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

Id be fairly happy in throwing a few bob on hennessy and edwards playing for the welsh senior team at some point if i was a gambler

Advertisement