Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While it's always pleasing to win, especially against England, it's even more pleasing to do it at under 20s age grade in recent years.

The structure of the schooling in England means their lads are typically bigger much younger and they come every year with a significant size advantage.

England staff have obviously been coaching a "size matters" approach trying to employ flat track bully one out runner tactics and time again over recent years, Ireland have shown them that skills beat size more often than not. Especially in how the game is evolving.

And it was on show again tonight. Tip on passes, good structure for screen plays, play at pace, play from anywhere, back your skills. Such wonderful rugby to behold.

I know he's only a kid but Chessum embarrassed himself tonight. He's the captain and he's getting in players faces after the final whistle. Exuberance of youth is a thing and it's not going to tar my future opinion on him as I'm sure he will learn.

But he is a legal adult and captain of his country. There is no justification in that moment for his actions, he simply must be better than that. If me or my captain did that at any age grade in any sport in any game of any circumstance we would be absolutely lambasted by our coaches and then further lambasted by our parents in the car.

But it's a perfect embodiment of England age grade rugby. Get the biggest lads to come with brawn over brain and get in the faces of more skilled players who want to play the game.

I'm sure he will learn from it and come back better. He has a huge amount of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ireland were brilliant again. Everyone of them put in a big showing. England had a massive pack. The sub 2nd row is 6ft 11in. That's the size of Toner! Chessmaster isn't far off that either.

Some serious talent coming in. I reckon there's some of these lads that will have long careers. Maybe a couple of international players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The Ireland U19s will play two fixtures against Japan with a different squad set to line out in the second fixture on Sunday 26th March at the same venue. The Ireland U19s will also play two games against France at the start of April.

A squad of 24 is preparing for Wednesday’s fixture at the IRFU High Performance Centre under the tutelage of head coach Mark Butler (Munster Rugby) and assistant coaches Andrew Browne (Connacht Rugby) and Johnny Graham (Ulster Rugby)

The first game between the two sides kicks off at 2.40pm on Wednesday 22nd March at Terenure RFC, Lakelands while the second fixture kicks off at 6.00pm on Sunday 26th March at the same venue.

Ireland U19 Men Squad

Theo Bishop (IQ Rugby/Hartpury College)

Tadhg Brophy (Leinster/Newbridge College)

David Colbert (Leinster/Dublin University FC)

Adam Deay (Leinster/Lansdowne FC)

Ethan Graham (Ulster/Ballynahinch RFC)

Sean Hopkins (Connacht/St Muredach’s College/Ballina RFC)

Ben Howard (Leinster/St Michael’s College)

Stephen Kiely (Munster/Old Crescent RFC)

Tom Larke (Leinster/St. Columbas College/Old Wesley RFC)

Mark Lee (Ulster/Rainey Old Boys RFC)

Ben McFarlane (Ulster/Methodist College)

James McKillop (Ulster/Foyle College)

Jack Murphy (Leinster/Presentation College Bray) vice captain

Sean Naughton (Leinster/Kilkenny College)

Luke O’Connor (Leinster/Lansdowne FC)

James O’Loughlin (Leinster/Naas RFC)

Jake O’Riordan (Munster/St. Munchin’s College)

Oisin Pepper (Munster/St. Munchin’s College)

Jacob Sheahan (Munster/UCC RFC)

Charlie Sheridan (Leinster/Naas RFC)

Stephen Smyth (Leinster/Kilkenny College) captain

Zac Solomon (Ulster/Belfast Harlequins RFC)

Josh Stevens (Ulster/Methodist College)

Richard Whelan (Leinster/Cistercian College Roscrea)

I don't recognize any one except Solomon. Are there players missing? I though Gleeson was u19?

Gleeson has started all 5 under 20 games. He doesnt need to play this. It would be a waste of development time to play Gleeson or any other players eligible for 19s who played a bit for the under 20s

there is another squad to be named for the next games against France. you dont recognise players from what?

• Advertisement

I meant I don't know anything about them except Solomon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'm guessing they've left out players who played in the schools cup finals to allow for better recovery and time to train together.

yes probably same with some youths players who are still contesting their principal provincial competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jacob Sheehan came off the bench for the 19's a few times. I just follow the local players so I would have been looking for Ben O'Connor, Sean Edogbo (not sure if he is injured?) and Gene O'Leary Kareem. Hopefully they get a run out in the Saturday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think its the aim of the test.

There's no tournament for the u19s so really it's a chance for the people who aren't locked in (u20s and academy) to impress a little.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Irish rugby on a high! What a spectacle of open fun style rugby, this team looked more All Blacks than what we would have traditionally expected from Ireland. Pack just beyond awesome, Prendergast / Gunne a dream combo, and skill in spades in that back line , Gavin, McErlean, Cooney unreal. Best 23 squad in history of Irish u20 imo

Agree Rogwort best ever

don’t get why some feel the need to throw in the negative bias, they’ve given us so much fun and we should relish the moment and be proud of this immense talent

theyre young playing at almost professional level, in a very competitive environment , the least we should do given these are public forums is feed confidence, not blast our talent before it fully develops

Well said ! It’s NZ style all the way , Murphy & coaching staff have been superb

That was a criminal tackle , as red a card as I have ever seen, and I say that as someone who didn’t feel the card on Saturday was a fair assessment, interested to hear what the panel conclude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

If there was a redder card, they'd have got it.

I don't think anything malicious in it, but sweet jebus!

is this for real?! Passing / snipe / strength / speed excellence, overall a massive contribution and key player in this squad to bring home a grand slam victory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I really hope they find a way of getting Andrew Osborne into the XV for the JWC, the brief time he had he looked like a potential match winner.

I can’t find dates for JWC can anyone help I haven’t seen a post thank you

• Advertisement

From googling it looks to be from the 15th-30th July in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

That's the second tier U-20 Trophy tournament which is being played in Kenya. The Junior World Cup is being played in South Africa from June 24th to July 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Last year's 20's came in under the radar. There was no SCT so people couldn't get a look at any of the players early. We were relying on the AIL to develop them essentially and they won a slam. This years team similarly got picked largely on AIL form. Since they did away with that awful B&I cup the AIL has kicked on a level and proven to be an excellent nursery for players out of school.

You look at clontarf/Terenure etc and it's made up of players who spent time in the pro game or else currently on the fringes or academies of the provinces. It's providing a great competition for the developing talent.

No need to revive B&I cup for these lads. Another emerging Ireland tour at the right time of the season would do the job nicely.

oh that’s great thank you very much , this weekend has just made it even more of an excitement and priority , we have so much to look forward to this year

😂 your intentions were very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Fully agree. I think Gunne showed control and ability beyond his years this tournament.

He was heralded as one of the brightest schools prospects in years and this has possibly skewed some peoples opinion on him.

Also possible that he's being compared to his half back partner Prendergast who had a superstar showing in every game.

I think he was mature to just get on with his jobs. Don't force too much himself and facilitate others.

His passing reminds me a lot of Doaks. Not tremendously quick but bloody consistent. Something we haven't seen from a Leinster underage 9 in living memory.

His kicking game is also extremely accomplished. When his exits were on the money which many were, he was getting us 40m territory. Extremely difficult skill to have and something that the likes of Casey don't manage on a consistent level.

And I think Prendergast can give at least some credit of his accomplishments to Gunne. Every big moment he had started with getting the ball on a plate. He passes off the deck really well which bought Sam the extra seconds.

I'm excited for him at Leinster. I'd rate him higher than Foley, O'Sullivan, Patterson, Ben Murphy and Nick McCarthy at the same age grade. He has a lot to work on. But I'm confident he can make it

• Advertisement

Here is the match schedule & groups , only 3 months away

Advertisement