Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

And ofcourse manage to squeeze in one more error, just 6 more seconds and they KO. Like I said they can have no complaints if England make them pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Disappointed for the lads as they played well enough to win. But they've shown some excellent grit on numerous occasions to keep England at bay near the try line.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fair result. 3 a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bonus point draw, held them out on the try line at the death, good bit of fight in them, but will be annoyed at letting the lead slip.

All over 34 all.

England were completely limited but sadly Ireland fell right into the trap and paid the price, still 3 points isnt too bad. If Ireland beat Australia then this is forgotten as Ireland will be in a strong position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At least they got a draw but would have won it only for Prendergast’s horror show from place kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,132 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lucky to hold out there. Can only put the performance down to nerves, brainless at times and Sam has to shoulder a lot of the blame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's a good result given everything that transpired, but that's one that got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 whiscash02

I'd be worried about us against Australia. From what i've seen, they might be even bigger than England, and their scrum dominated New Zealand. And I'd worry about our defence without Cooney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some fantastic scores and some terrible set pieces by Ireland not to mention missing 4 conversions. Lucky to draw and lucky not to lose it but we should have won it, no idea why we didn't go for a DG from the scrum rather some complicated play that some didn't know was happening.

No argument about the red card but I thought the shoulder to the head should have got a RC too rather than the yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

England improved a lot since the 6Ns. Their 10 was v good. Outplayed Ireland at the breakdown. Lucky to get the draw as we had a lot of unforced errors and Sam left his boots in the locker. England don't produce too many small lads. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gunne was excellent and this was the best I've seen him play. Deserving motm winner.

Considering Ireland had no breakdown & a kicker who couldnt hit a barn door it was quite good to get a draw.

He was good, tho thought he struggled with the box kicks a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

My God but you're a critical lot on here. These are under 20s and will blow hot and cold. Prendergast was poor off the tee but excellent otherwise and has credit in the bank from the 6 Nations. Calm down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As does the line out, scrum at times etc. etc.

Both teams made enormous amounts of mistakes

Have to think Ireland have more positives to take from that match than England. They cut England open multiple times, and showed some solid defense on the tryline multiple times against a massive team.

If anything this game show's why England are struggling at the highest level, they had nothing today outside of their physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

In fairness their attacking shape and set piece was very good in the second half, and they were strong at the breakdown too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't think this English side was noticeably bigger than Ireland, for once.

• Advertisement

Their set piece was the attack structure wasnt much to write home about, seemed reliant on an individual making a break, the set piece and breakdown was good ofcourse but how much of that was down to the physicality? At times it reminded me alot of Ireland v England 2019-2021, just our players running down blind alys and getting turned over. It worked today but you can see why alot of these players will struggle to make it at the highest level when that gap in physicality is equalised at senior level.

On average maybe but they did have 1 or 2 monsters (particularly their N.8).

Wales are currently 19-5 up against NZL and the scoreline is totally fair based on what's transpired. What this does do though is potentially put into perspective the Australia win over NZL, while always good to beat NZL maybe it isn't as impressive as we think it was.

10 minutes later and NZL have woken up leading 20-19 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qkZ7YuuMg

I'm out of the country so I'm not sure if its geolocked but the Ireland vs England game is available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I think the props were the most contrasting with ours. I'd hazard a guess that their tight-head had about 20 kilos on McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Oz and NZ struggling against Fiji and Wales.

Think Wales threw that away, they definitely had the beating of a poor enough NZ team today. Some turn around from the 6Ns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

NZ don't look very good, at least in the pack. Oz did boss them around and still managed to lose. Who knows, both of them could win it or be just ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wales, who are poor, lost to N.Z! By 1 point. I'd be more worried about France and the bokkes.

Advertisement