Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Murphy’s kid will be ten next year i think and maybe hicks playing a year up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

The U20s is a development tour, always was always should be. The fact a teams wins a few games is a bonus but the concept of it being a development tour shouldn't be lost on the coaches not the fans. Every player doesn't necessarily need to the same game time but we really shouldn't be having a run of games with unused subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Back5

Totally agree on development point and ensuring bench get meaningful game time.

This may well be the pinnacle of many players career and to limit players involvement fails on a number of levels. Tournament rugby demands you spread the load across the squad. So pick the squad accordingly.

Its also worth remembering historically a number of u20 "squad" players have developed into full Irish caps so all rather randon at this stage. Give boys a chance to perform.

Also not a huge fan of playing guys a year early unless there is a major chasm in the depth chart. Especially so in recent yrs given that covid may have limited exposure and playing chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Agreed, if he didn’t use his best players , we wouldn’t be in with a shout, we wouldn’t have won the 6N, and building track record and confidence is as much as part of the development as anything else, perhaps the most important part of development coming from an international squad which only recently has the ability to go up against any team in the world and feel confident

Hear hear - they’re a great coaching team passionate about what they do with a fantastic track record, I would back them against any one on this group in knowing what is the right course of action , seems pretty obvious

• Advertisement

Team is out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Anyone know much about Foxe in at tight head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

Interestingly they went to Foxe and didnt start Barrett despite the latter being on the bench last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah it is interesting, considering Barrett usually gets decent minutes and started against Italy in the 6N. Thought the centres would be the opposite way around considering Devine is probably a better decision maker in defence, but looking forward to seeing how they get on.

Paddy McCarthy makes infinitely more sense at LHP. Be interesting to see him there.

Let’s hope Gus McCarthy can survive this whole experience uninjured. I could easily see him go another full 80 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Surprised to see Barrett still on the bench. Obviously Hadden is injured. Anyone know the details of his injury?

Anyone know anything about Foxe?

I think adding Irvine makes the pack look more robust. Not sure of player stats but he looks a heavier / taller unit than EOC.

He’s supposedly 6’8 but honestly he looks taller. EOC is 6’7.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

I see Australia have made 10 changes for this game, so they should be fairly fresh for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Is there a rule that all members of the squad have to play some part in at least 1 game. I thought I remembered that from the previous U20 world cups or am I mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It comes up every year in this thread. it isnt the case but there generally is a lot of rotation with it being an age grade/development competition and the relatively short time between games

From what I can see the Australian 15 v Ireland contains 14 of the starters from the first pre-competition warm up game when the beat NZ.

Oz should have beaten N.Z in the match that I saw. Dominant pack, controlled possession and that scrum was lethal. Unless the kiwis are scrubs?

On a different topic, England's props last weekend were 18 years old!

The THP was the highest potential player on the pitch for me. Massive, moves well and seems like a good scrummager/good instincts. The fact that he is 18 is insane.

London Irish are a loss for england just for their development of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Decent game so far in awful conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Who made the monster carry up to the line before the try?

Weather does not help our game at all. Attack is far less fluid than normal due to inability to zip the ball as much as usual or offload at all. Australia defending well but we're not able to test them nearly as much as we would normally.

Frustrating 10 points to concede in a few minutes. Very soft try to turnover in their half and then miss a tackle or two on a breakaway.

11-10 at halftime doesn't reflect the possession/territory at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Gleeson looks the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Surprised at how decent the play has been given how much muck is over everyone, can't be easy to handle the ball in these conditions. One thing I've noticed is that our backline seems uncommonly slow this year, I know we never really produce 'speedsters' but this year stands out.

Gleeson has been excellent, obviously he's still u19 so won't see any senior game time next year bar maybe a preseason game or two, but munster fans must be very excited about him.

Gunne has been good as well I think, starting to really show why people rated him so highly.

If rumours on UAFC are to be believed then it looks like Irvine won't pick up an academy place for Ulster which I think is disappointing. Might not be the most exciting player but he's more than holding his own against a good Australia pack and second row prospects have been extremely scarce since Henderson.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We actually need to up our kicking game

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hopefully we will now. Weather is only getting worse and they'll need to chase the game after that try.

Gunne's kicking as been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Scrums have really gone our way since that Australian prop went off.

aussie line outs are killing them.

we need to be finding the touch line with our clearances

• Advertisement

thats some scrum

if im correct that u20s scrum is heavier than our starting senior pack

Advertisement