Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that should be game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Very impressive work by the whole team, conditions mean they have to adapt to a short carrying and kicking game plan, the centres and pack are doing a great job with their physical presence, Australia probably a little less cohesive and Ireland are playing like a well-oiled unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I can't see it, height and weight statistics always seem a little skewed at this level. They may make up a bit of weight in the backrow but props and second row should heavily favour the seniors.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was told that the starting pack was 918kgs, but don't quote me on it.

I didn't check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Such a likeable group. They just keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Great win in some shite conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Team is much improved with Gleeson In it, carrying the ball into contact it looks like he's been stopped but somehow nearly always finds a way to gain extra yards on second momemtum, Really is a great time for Irish Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That win is huge. Really ramps up the pressure on England who play Fiji this evening.

Hopefully we're able to rotate after today for Fiji but we'll have a better idea of what threat Fiji pose later on. Another fairly short turnaround before the next game on Tuesday so a few days extra of recovery would be good for some guys particularly those in the pack who emptied the tank today.

Gleeson, Paddy McCarthy and Gunne were all excellent. Gunne's kicking game has gone to another level this tournament. He tortured Australia with his box kicking and has a nice variation to it also when we saw a little chip over a ruck in his own half perfectly kicked for an onrushing Gleeson to make a big carry. Gleeson himself just keeps putting his hand up to carry and be involved. He's a very solid player. I don't think I've seen less than a 7/10 performance from him.

I thought Paddy McCarthy was brilliant. Absolutely minced his opposition tighthead and won multiple penalties there. Huge carry in the build up to our opening try which was important to turn the tide and won at least one breakdown steal.

As it stands, it's ourselves, England, France, NZ, Argentina and SA in the mix for the 4 semi final spots. France have been the most impressive team so far but I don't think there's anything to feat from any of those sides. Depth and power could tell as the tournament goes on but we should be able to give any of those teams real problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How does this tournament actually work with 3 pools of 4? Are there QFs with 2 3rd place runners up or SFs with 2 2nd place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Prendergast had a ok game, he made a few mistakes again, kicking out on the full once and his passing sometimes let's him down. But a very physical presence in his position

Three pool winners and the best runner up go through to the semi final. After our BP draw, we were always going to be in with a very good shout of at least being the best runner up if we won today. But the fact that we won by 20 points with a BP, means we're in a great position to top the pool.

As of right now, France are looking comfortable against NZ which makes them hot favourites to be top seed. That would mean (assuming we seal top spot with a little help from Australia/Fiji) we would face South Africa or Argentina in the semi final.

21-0 now to France against NZ. They have to be hot favourites for the tournament right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I felt a bit for the sub Ozzy tight-head, their scrum simply collapsed when he came on. Young Foxe looks a powerful player and Barret is an absolute unit.

Thought Aus looked better with the ball in hand. We looked laboured and ineffective moving the ball across the backline. The strong, direct carries by the forwards won that for us.

reddest of red cards for Wales vs Japan only a yellow, not a good look for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Only dipping in and out of the France v NZ game in work here....are France really that good or is this a very poor All Black team (or a little of column A and a little of column B)?

Japan really play a lovely style of rugby, fantastic quality of passing there, especially with the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yep. France are great. The kiwis look poor and soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Just watched it.

Gleeson and McCarthy were amazing. McCarthy at loosehead has sky high potential.

Guys only get subbed on this team when they look absolutely wrecked and not a minute earlier, so hopefully there is more rotation for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I agree on the backs. The australian ones looked quite a bit more athletic. Our backs are very well drilled but most of the talent seems to be in the pack. Albeit, today was a day for forwards.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

Cooney was missed. Our back line looks limited. Even more so without him.

Irvine is in medical school? I believe he turned down the academy last year. He has great size and has the ability to really kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Academy just announced, and thankfully he's in it.

Yaaayyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

A BP win v Fiji should pretty much secure at a minimum best RU, obviously need to see how England get on versus Fiji as it could come down to PD.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Reading online in comments on another article that the late yellow was upgraded to a red for the Ireland player.

That's not good if confirmed , 2 Games and 2 red cards for high tackles.

I haven't really seen either tackle yet , but is this a case of increased enforcement from the Referees or were they both clear high hits?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

should have been a direct red today, not sure why he went with yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

If im not mistaken the same thing happened with Ethan McIlroy.

Advertisement