Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Don't understand why both matches in each pool don't KO simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If I'm looking at this correctly Ireland will qualify with a BP win regardless. No other group has a team that can come second with as many points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Any win gets us best 2nd and into semis unless Wales beat France

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's correct. But there's an absolute world of difference between finishing top and then facing one of the teams from Pool C or facing France who will top Pool A. I'd imagine they would see that spot as a poor consolation. I think the team that finishes top in our pool is going to be in the final.

France are going for their 3rd title in a row and look fairly unbeatable right now. We scraped a win against them in Cork earlier this year but were hanging on and they seem to have gone to another level entirely now.

Pool C is as ludicrous as it is entertaining. Italy beat SA (34-26) who beat Georgia (33-23) who beat Argentina (20-0) who beat Italy (43-15). None of the games were even that close which makes it all the more bizarre. Not a single losing BP.

They're going to be up against it. They've a 24 point gap to make up on PD with England kicking off later and playing on a far better surface whilst Ireland have to play in Paarl again on the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Oz will be without the tight head and the lad that was injured along with Quinn. England will get the upper hand in the forwards.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

If we come 2nd in the seeding the only side I would worry about is SA, I think we are better and if we play art our best I think we'll win but its still SA in SA so must be remembered.

Well the question needs to be asked, are the unbeatable/at another level compared to the Cork game or have they just been playing weaker sides? I watched their games and yes they look very good (they still are a great side ofcourse) but I question if they played Ireland would they have had it as easy at times?

Pool C makes the seedings so hard to call, literally anything can happen in that group. France being first and the winner of Pool B being 2nd are the only certainties.

Ultimately the point we need to remember is the surface also makes it easier for Australia as I think the big difference between Ireland & Australia was Ireland's adaptability, playing on a good surface will definitely help Australia and its a must win for them to stay in the tournament which will make it challenging for England at the very least. I watched Fiji against England and while they have some decent players her for there they are absolutely hopeless as a collective and an Irish team focused and looking to put on a big score will take them to the cleaner I expect, Ireland have scored a minimum of 30 points in every game this season and looking at Fiji they are up there with Scotland as the worst side we've played (not sure they are on par with that Scotland side in the 6N) but I could easily see this Irish side putting 50 on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Any news on the use of the 'smart' ball which was supposed to be trialed in this tournament?

Nothing likely to be released until after tournament is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think they are using the smart ball. I could swear i heard the commentators mention it in the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

This might have been mentioned already but I was surprised the ref didn't penalise the Aus forward for pushing Gunne's face into the mud after tackling him into touch - a mirror image of Evan Roos last year with Harry Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Although it certainly made the irish pack angry and they punished them in the immediate after play. Disgraceful behaviour alright

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

McNabey cited after the Australia game

I suspect he may get a ban here as the tackle was not much different to the ones that got red cards.

Article also says that Ireland are not allowed call up replacements for suspended players so they could be very thin in the backs for Tuesday.

Gleeson also a doubt having gone off with a head injury near the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Depth of Irish squad is impressive, that was a gruelling game for every forward on the pitch they were just so strong. And full of purpose, clear in what they had to do to get it done in nasty playing conditions. And the display from those less seen through the 6N was formidable and comforting . Every team will have wounded and squads that can adapt win tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

it beggars belief that these games are held in such a pathetic playing surface, surely this is disrespectful of the players and the tournament itself, its a throwback to a bygone age of 1960's70's rugby days, just not good enough

We'll be lucky to field a team next week. I presume McNabney will get a ban.

Can they call up replacements for injuries?

It would probably be wise to just rule quinn out altogether with that head knock. It looked nasty.

I believe there's no call ups. We're losing players all over the shop. If McNabney is out, Hopes probably comes in at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Mangan back into the 6 jersey? Who’ll be at 7 though

I’d guess Hopes or O connell at 6 and Mangan at 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Very low odds but maybe France rotate their squad fully before the knockouts to give everyone a game.

Who are the next best u20 team after georgia in europe?

At least from an Irish pov, i see no reason why we couldn’t go to an 8 team 8 nations. Our u20 players don’t play many pro games as is and this would help their development. It would also help georgia who deserve to be in this type of tournament.

7 teams could work too obviously but unsure on logistics.

Spain and Portugal would be next. 20s should expand. dont see it changing though.

Like we should be reentering the rugby europe u18 championships as well. but that wont happen either

That’s unfortunate. Would be great for georgia and us for them to be involved.

I see a lot of talent here within this group. Certainly, they are well drilled and don't back down. Richie Murphy deserves a lot of kudos. Regardless of the remainder of the tournament, they've really stood up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've rotated quite heavily for the Fiji game. Consequence of injuries, suspensions and short turn around between matches. Our usual starting hooker, Gus McCarthy, is also named as backrow cover. Scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

15. Harry West (Buccaneers/Connacht)

14. James Nicholson (UCD/Leinster)

13. Sam Berman (Dublin University/Leinster)

12. John Devine (Corinthians/Connacht)

11. Andrew Osborne (Naas/Leinster)

10. Matthew Lynch (Dublin University/Leinster)

9. Oscar Cawley (Naas/Leinster)

1. George Hadden (Clontarf/Leinster)

2. Danny Sheahan (UCC/Munster)

3. Fiachna Barrett (Corinthians/Connacht)

4. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemians/Munster)

5. Joe Hopes (Queen’s University/Ulster)

6. Diarmuid Mangan (UCD/Leinster)(captain)

7. Dan Barron (Dublin University/Leinster)*

8. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Max Clein (Garryowen/Munster)

17. George Morris (Lansdowne/Leinster)

18. Ronan Foxe (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

19. Charlie Irvine (Queen’s University/Ulster)

20. Gus McCarthy (UCD/Leinster)

21. Jack Oliver (Garryowen/Munster)

22. Sam Prendergast (Lansdowne/Leinster)

23. Henry McErlean (Terenure/Leinster).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

i assume McNabney has received a ban if he is not in the 23, does anyone know how long.

If it’s 3 games then that will be his tournament over.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Who did Bergman get called up for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Mcnabney and telfer got 3 game bans.. reduced to 2 if the do tackle school.

Advertisement