Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Harry west ruled out McErlean starts at 15. Gavin onto the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Lol. He'll have loads of chances to play Munster/Leinster. u20 WCF is a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This has been such a terrible and tragic week. Jack Oliver’s dad seems to have died in south africa. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

Christ, that's tough news for his family and for the squad, some of the squad would have known Tom Tierney too who died suddenly during the year. Must be hard to get your head around that

RIP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Heard the news a few hours ago..

Awful awful news

All of the Munster based players in the squad would know him very well.

This along with the St Michaels/Leinster players who likely would have known the two lads who died in Greece over the weekend as well.

Terrible for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 IBPhoto

That will be really tough for that group of men.

Read the news report from Cape Town. Horrific accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Very tough for young people. Tournament doesn't seem very important now. RIP to those who have died.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Horrific news all around this week really.

Certainly puts sport into perspective.

Would I be correct in saying any win today puts us through as at least the best second placed team? A TBP win obviously puts us top of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Any win puts us through. But a TBP is still not enough to top the pool. We're tied with England on 8 points (for some reason BBC have England down as 7 points which is incorrect, if that's the table you're looking at).

They have a better PD by 26. So we need to really hammer Fiji by at least 40 to be in with a decent shot. I can't see Australia troubling England too much. If we destroyed them up front, that England pack should absolutely crush them. I think they're going to be down both of their first choice props today (red card for their loosehead against Fiji and injury to the tighthead against us).

Ah ok, thanks. the table I was looking at was the ultimate rugby one.

For my shame, I should have known better than to trust it..... I'm off to self flagllate now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can only assume there's an error with the websites or if the tables are automated as one of the English tries was a penalty try and doesn't come up in some score lines so they're only counting 3 tries in that game instead of the 4 scored.

so for clarify then, these are the correct tables:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

A BP win guarantees our place in the SF and then its just a question of us finish first place (depending on the PD situation with England) and being 2nd seeds or finishing 2nd and being 4th seeds.

Any win will probably be enough unless Wales get an unlikely win versus France and France get 2 BP's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What time are the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Italy v Georgia on now

Ireland v Fiji 12:30pm

Australia v England 1pm

New Zealand v Japan 3pm

France v Wales 3:30pm

South Africa v Argentina 6pm

Georgia looking good to win this.

25-17 with 10 mins left

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭supernova5

Italy not playing near as well as they did V south Africa or are Georgia underestimated?

Bonus Point for Georgia...they've given themselves a fighting chance of qualification at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Poor Jack Oliver and all his family. RIP

Must be tough on these lads to play after all that's happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nice touch from Fiji presenting a jersey before the Cibi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where are you guys watching the game - I get a "not available in your current location" error on the World Rugby site?

Virgin media player is what I'm watching it on anyway.

Good start, think we can really put this Fiji team to the sword

L'équipe TV for me

Would expect nothing less, play with alot of Fijians and they are scary f*ckers on the field but they are the definition of gentlemen off it!

I have actually been quite impressed with Georgia this championship. If we ended up playing them in a SF I probably would back us to win but it wouldn't not be a forgone conclusion by any means.

Where's lynch from?

Lineout looking a bit shaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's a great carry from Gleeson for the try, but I'm very impressed by the footwork of McErlean and then O'Connell in the preceding phases. They both stepped upon receiving the ball, shifted the point of contact and made it well beyond the gain line. That's something the test side does to great affect.

• Advertisement

ireland guilty of trying too hard in this first half. When they keep it simple they are making great inroads.

gleesons been outstanding yet again

Advertisement