Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARP Abbreviation on a older GeoHive Map

Options
  • 27-09-2022 11:24pm

Hi all

On Geohive map, (not sure exact date, one of the older ones), what does the abbreviation "A R P" stand for in a coastal dunes system?

Thanks

Comments

• PS: Its possible the abbreviation has numbers below it.

A R P

36 8 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

What geographical area does the map cover? I'm def. not a cartography expert, but ARP did mean Air Raid Precautions in WWII

might be useful...

• Thanks for that.

The area is in the dunes in Strandhill County Sligo. I’ve been picking up a lot of bullets (not the cases) most likely fired from a Lee Enfield rifle, most likely on a practice firing range.

(See my posts in Military). I’ve been trying to date the bullets to possibly indicate who fired them. It’s most likely that they were fired on an officially designated firing range.

i can’t locate a date on the map just now, but if you’re having a look it’s the map on the bottom row in the middle on GeoHive maps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ARP is an acronym for; acres, roods and perches.

These are obsolete measurement units for describing the area of a defined space. Typically a field.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ballyboughlin, for example, has an area of 19 acres, 1 rood, and 16 perches.

This map is from circa 1838. Also known as a first edition historic map.

• Advertisement

• That’s that sorted! Thanks.

Advertisement