Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering a high level toilet, am I being stupid?

• 28-09-2022 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

I live in an old house with poorly done plumbing. There's a septic tank and there's a ~30m sewage pipe running to it, which clogs up every now and then (great fun).

There's a downstairs bathroom that I need to renovate. I'm wondering, considering the problems above, would I be even slightly better off if I use a high level cistern when replacing it, to gain ~2m head pressure for the flushing? Is it worth the hassle?

Alternatively, is there a way of finding an old standard (larger cistern) toilet anywhere or are they completely phased out by regulation now?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm not a plumber, but I doubt the higher cistern would create more pressure in the waste pipe.

Once it's gone through the U-bend on the toilet I'd imagine most of the pressure is equalized?

Has much been done to find out the cause of the blockages? Might be worth getting some of the drain people who have cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It won't help. Unfortunately you're looking for a band-aid for something that requires surgery...

It's always cheaper to do it once than a few times - in your case it involves determining the cause of the blockage and rectifying it. It may be a broken pipe, subsidence, roots, blocked percolation, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just flushing twice every time will have more effect.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

If the pipework to septic tank is as old as the house consider replacing it with PVC ones - Wavin or similar. Leave existing pipes in situ until last to ensure you have a working toilet/bathroom, lay new system complete with AJ etc. and connect to spetic tank. Ensure that fall is correct ( 1 : 40 I think, double check this!) Finally when all other work is complete dismantle old system at house and connect to new pipework.

Regarding toilet, if you can get your hands on one of those old type high level ones with the large cistren fit one, these modern dual flush ones are crap (pardon intended pun) 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Thanks everyone for the advice. @monsieur look like they have completely phased out the larger cistern so we'll be stuck with crap going forward.

The old pipework goes under the floor in a large extension and it'll be a monumental work to replace all of it. There's a dip somewhere down the line which causes these issues, I may just get that fixed at some stage on it's own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement