Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Vodafone NBI Fiber directly to pfsense as PPPoE connection (vfieftth.ie).

Options
  • 28-09-2022 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently upgraded a business premises to Fiber through the NBI plan. I spent almost 6 weeks trying to get the PPPoE credentials to connect directly to pfsense router. After all that time, the best support could do was to bridge the gigabox & and connect gigabox LAN to pfsense WAN. I want to bypass the Gigabox. On my Fiber at home, (I have SIRO) I was able to directly connect the LAN from the fiber box to the WAN on my router and configure direct connection bypassing the gigabox.

The only settings I required were:

PPPoE Username: [ModemSerialNumber]@vfieftth.ie

PPPoE Password: [**@V+***!***] (Password was very random and secure)

VLAN ID: 10

The settings I got from vodafone for this new business connection were:

PPPoE Username: [ModemSerialNumber]@vfieftth.ie

PPPoE Password: broadband

No mention of tagging incoming traffic.

When I pressed vodafone further for the necessary credentials, they told me that they do not support 3rd party routers, this is pretty annoying as I dont want support on a 3rd party router, I want PPPoE settings that only vodafone can supply.

Has anyone got advice or solved this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband are all you need. I've never needed the specific vfieftth.ie username.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

I have replaced the vodafone gigabox router on fiber NBI connection (Nokia ONT) with Tp-link deco m5 mesh system.

The settings I used were:

Internet connection Type: PPPoE

Username: [ModemSerialNumber]@vfieftth.ie

Password: broadband

Operation mode: Wi-fi router

ISP Profile: Custom

Internet Vlan ID: 10

Internet Vlan Priority: 0 (was defaulting to 7 which prevented it from working)

802.1Q Tag: Enabled/selected

MAC Clone: enabled

Use custom MAC Address (Mac of gigabox router)

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

I recently signed up for vodafone fibre but have had to cancel the contract because they do not support third party routers. They refused point blank to offer me my pppoe credentials. The bridge mode on the router is none functional and they don't seem to offer to enable it despite me asking a few times. Their option to bypass their DNS servers is not working and the essential secure DNS switch is now removed and they do not offer to enable it. They do not seem to support multicast on their router which means that SATIP will not work for me.

All in all their Gigerbit router is not fit for purpose for anyone who has anything but basic windows based web browsing and streaming.

I am shortly moving house back into town and the choice is between Eir and Sky and I think I will be going back to Eir when I do.

Been a terrible experience dealing with Vodafone and their crappy routers (two broke within a day of installation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband should work on anything. The VLAN tag is the hardest bit but most routers should support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

This is what I have in my Juniper SRX on VDSL (FTTC) with DSL cable directly to the router VDSL module:

--- JUNOS 12.3X48-D105.4 built 2020-07-29 00:24:05 UTC

jupiter> show configuration interfaces pt-2/0/0 | display set

set interfaces pt-2/0/0 description VODAFONE-VDSL2

set interfaces pt-2/0/0 vlan-tagging

set interfaces pt-2/0/0 vdsl-options vdsl-profile auto

set interfaces pt-2/0/0 unit 0 encapsulation ppp-over-ether

set interfaces pt-2/0/0 unit 0 vlan-id 10

jupiter> show configuration interfaces pp0 | display set

set interfaces pp0 description VODAFONE-PPPoE

set interfaces pp0 traceoptions flag all

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 ppp-options chap default-chap-secret "<encrypted>"

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 ppp-options chap local-name "E2004CMxxxxxxxxx@vfiefttc.ie"

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 ppp-options chap no-rfc2486

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 ppp-options chap passive

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 pppoe-options underlying-interface pt-2/0/0.0

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 pppoe-options idle-timeout 0

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 pppoe-options auto-reconnect 10

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 pppoe-options client

set interfaces pp0 unit 0 family inet negotiate-address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

You can 100% use a non Vodafone router for FTTH, I'm using my Unifi UDMP without vodafone router and no issues.

As stated above, use the pppoe details (vodafone@vodafone.ie/broadband) and tag VLAN10 on the WAN side on the 3rd party router and it works without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

Just wanted to say thanks for this - worked perfectly 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

Came back to boards.ie to give credits to chrismc76!

I switched to Vodafone and for some reasons I thought it's a good idea to change their Gigabox to bridge more. It all went south and now in retrospect - that was a bad idea!

Since their presentation is ethernet (unlike VM), the right thing is to plug the link to my Asus router.

I tried for a while and nothing made sense - I was getting some 10.x private IP and nothing was working.

Eventually I found chrismc76's post

PPPoE username: [ModemSerialNumber]@vfieftth.ie. Serial number is on the botom of Gigabox

PPPoE Password: broadband, small caps

Internet traffic is on vlan10.

Job done! 2 less gadgets that needs plugging vs VM. At least in my area Vodafone offers 100mbps upload and that's important to me! VM, no matter what, keeps the 50mbps upload for reasons only they understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 foxxbl

Just wanted to say, thanks a lot!

These settings work perfectly with my Deco M4! I tried to switch the Gigabox to the bridge mode and somehow that bricked the router (wouldn't work even after reset). I found this post and managed to connect my router directly to ONT, all worked like a charm, happy days! Vodafone replaced my router, but it's already serving as a backup, collecting the dust on the shelf ;)

Advertisement