Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2022 confusion

• 28-09-2022 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

I was watching Prime Time on the budget last night and a retired couple were being interviewed. Both getting the full contributory pension and she had an additional private pension of 300 every two weeks. He also had part time job. So they were pulling in above €700 a week. They said they were finding it tough to manage but assuming they had their mortgage paid off and had no dependants I find it hard to see how they are struggling, unless of course they had loans etc. that were not declared on the show.

I would expect to live comfortably on their income in retirement , assuming they are not spending a fortune heating house etc.

Anyone disagree or think thats not enough to live on without mortgage etc. ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have both a partial (most of) a contributory pension and a part-private pension (relatively small part), mortgage paid off. I am living on a good bit less than that couple (granted there is only one of me) and consider myself very comfortable. Two other friends in similar situations but probably receiving more than me are of the same opinion, that we are very lucky and appreciative to be as comfortably off as we are, we all have memories of rearing a family in the 70s and 80s when money really was tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

That makes sense. That couple must either have had a good standard of living or perhaps were paying off loans etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You just never know what commitments folk have and no reason why we should... Financial concerns are in the eye of the pensioner etc... I live very simply indeed with few outgoings.. Blessed I am

Advertisement