Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you book a hotel if you can't get a hospital bed post-surgery?

Options
  • 28-09-2022 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Long story short, I've been waiting 14months to see a consultant about a spine problem that's meant I can't sit down (I know it sounds like a joke but believe me it's not!) since July 2021. The absolute incompetence of my GP has meant I've had to wait this long despite having health insurance.

Anyhow, I finally saw a consultant who wants to do surgery in 3 weeks time. It's general anaesthetic and surgery on my spine so would normally be an overnight stay. However, because it's being done in CUH, where there are no beds available, he said the only choice is to do it as a day procedure so I'd have to come home the same day.

He asked how far away I live - it's 35 miles, a good 45 mins drive if going at normal speed, obviously longer if driving carefully as I would be post-surgery.

If I was covered for the Mater Private (I'm not), where he also works, there would be no question of not staying overnight so they could discharge you with some degree of confidence you had come through the immediate post-surgery period intact.

Do you think I'd be best off booking into a hotel for that night? I'd be closer to a hospital if I did have complications plus I wouldn't have the long drive home to face until the next day.

On the other hand, if I got as far as home the day of surgery, then I wouldn't have to move again until I felt able to. I really don't know what best to do.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

I would be amazed if any doctor discharged you immediately post op without being accompanied buy someone to watch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

What exactly is the surgery? It would depend if it warranted an overnight hospital stay.

You shouldn't and probably wouldn't be able to drive for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You aren't insured to drive for some weeks after a general anesthetic. You'd insurance company will tell you how many.

But presumably someone else is driving you.

If not, then 200% book a hotel room. Or ask the surgeon if there are any local hospitals that do step down card and which might had a bed (will cost more than a hotel but worth it if there are any issues.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I just saw the op's other thread. A spinal decompression? You should be staying in overnight in a hospital and there's no way you would be able to drive after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Book into the nearest nursing home for a few days. You will have nurses in situ and you can claim tax relief on it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is essentially seeking advice on what to do after undergoing surgery which contravenes site rules. You need to ask the hospital or consultant what their advice/requirements are

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement