Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum connection time Munich airport?

Options
  • 28-09-2022 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is 1 hour enough time to transfer checked luggage from one flight to another all on the same ticket? I can avoid checking the bag if needs be. Just wanted to check.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

if it's all on the same ticket will it not be checked through all the way anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ruse lad

Still the bag would have to transfer. Would 1 hour be enough? If not it will be cabin baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ah, your post reads as if you're the one rechecking it from one flight to another. It really depends, bags are handled by the airline or their reps so it depends on their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Usually yes but thesedays I wouldn't risk it TBH and would keep everything with me. That said, I'm not sure how bad Munich got when it came to delays? Certainly not as bad as the Heathrows and Schiphols of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

MUC is great airport to connect, I've done that many times with and w/o checked bags. Not as busy as FRA, AMS by far and you can do Ireland <-> Schengen in 20 mins if you know the airport and your planes use air bridges. I would say that chances of bags getting transferred in 1hr are much bigger there than in any other major airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There was no problems this summer at all at Munich airport

For baggage, the place was running so smoothly that Frankfurt were sending down lorry loads of "lost" bags to be processed and sent to their owners. That was thanks to the automatic baggage handling system (the same as Dublin T2 if I am not mistaken, only in Dublin they have changed the software to avoid giving siemens their royalties).

Security was also not an issue because all security are paid by the government so were never fired during the pandemic.

Similarly, imigration is done by the federal police, so they obviously also were not fired and are working now as normal post pandemic.

So all in all, life as normal and the 30 minute minimum transfer time is more than achievable. I guess people will still route via Paris or Amsterdam out of habit and/ or a wish for a world of pain and that thrill of having a good chance of missing a flight after hours of queuing to get from one part of the airport to another, but with up to 3 Lufthansa flights daily on Dub-Muc it might not be the worst alternative if the price is right and you want a hassle free connection .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its a shame really - down in Cork I have no option but Schiphol (which has been absolutely fine for me everytime so far). I'm going to Munich in December - via Schiphol of course because Aer Lingus simply won't run a Cork - Munich service during the busy Christmas Market times despite multiple full weekly flights when they did it in the mid 2010s.

Advertisement