Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no eircode on google amps

Options
  • 28-09-2022 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭

Built newhouse, have eircode but its not yet on google maps. Any broadband provider i ring say until its on google maps they cant send out technician to wire me up. anybody any issues with this before for new build. Neighbors have fibre broadband but woman on phone with eir said it could take up to 9months to get me on their map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Never came across the requirement to have the eircode on google maps before. Previously you just had to have an eircode. I assume it's on the eircode finder map?

When was the eircode issued, maybe they meant it hasn't yet been added to their address reference database file?

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yes its on the eircode map but outline of the house boundary isn't yet. Not on google maps yet and a lot of companies use google maps as their address database im assuming so im at the mercy of google to update the map it seems. Issued 5 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Order it on the neighbours Eircode, meet the tech on the roadside and show him your house. Everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not on Google Maps? Just an excuse to palm you off. Sure there's loads houses not on Google Maps, loads of roads not on Google Maps, particularly in rural areas, never mind new builds. Google are a multi national that happens to provide a free mapping solution but they're under no obligation to update it for every Tom, Dick & Harry's house. The state/ taxpayer have a mapping agency out in the Phoenix Park, get your broadband people to complain to them.

• Advertisement

Get on to other providers and if they comeback negative ask them the reason why your eircode isn't available for connection.

Open-eir have their own fibre map, what does it indicate for your house?

Or their future rollout map

Eir and vodafone told me same thing, when its on google maps it will be added to their registry. Im on the Eircode map and all. Woman from eir told me could be up to a year and nothing she could do to help. Have added my Eircode to google map via satellite image so hope they update it quirky. Checked eir map. my neighbor can get fibre up to 2gbs speed but my new build Eircode doesn't show up. Dont know what was done before eircodes, seems needless red tape to me.

Eircodes have been required to order fibre broadband for a few years now, it was discussed on here when the requirement was added for ordering. But this Google map thing is new, open-eir always had their own maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

I had a family member have a one off build installed for Vodafone FTTH (99% its over OpenEir) a few months back without his Eircode being on Google Maps (he asked for my assistance getting it added to Google Maps after the install for other reasons).

Any idea how he managed that, did he have to go some awkward way about tricking them to come out or something. I rang Vodafone and no luck as im not on their registry which i think is driven by google maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

No trickery that I am aware if, not 100% but I think OpenEir just eventually added it to their own systems. I had suggested he try the local broadband officer to help push it along, not sure if he did that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Have you got anything official off them, email etc. Reporting to comreg should speed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Their 'registry' likely aren't anything to do with Google Maps. They are generally updated regularly by their ECAD Eircode database provider (a company like Geodirectory etc), with a quarterly or six month or yearly delivery update (I guess each individual broadband provider has a different update schedule, mine was added to Digiweb's database about 6 months before it was added to Eir's database).

They are muddying the waters by mentioning Google Maps (who likely use the same method above to update their Eircode registry). I'd guess they only use Google Maps as a navigation tool, or for scheduling connections that are close to each other on the same day. The technician pops the Eircode into Google Maps on their phone and it tells them where to drive to the house. It saves them having to faff about with addresses and directions to a house down some country road. As a poster mentioned above, if it was me and the neighbour was close by, i'd throw in the neighbour's Eircode (and mention it to them) and meet the technician when he arrives.

Their "registry" as you call it is the address reference database (ARD) file which is linked to the eircode, after 5 months since the eircode was issued it should be included by now.

Have you checked with some of the smaller ISPs, they may more interested in sorting this than the bigger providers.

Might try neighbors address, its a 10second walk from my house and they have fibre. May have just missed out on their updated registry so.

Didn't check anybody only Vodafone and eir. They seemed like best value with best spped.

Just signed up to vodafone using neighbours eircode, will see what happens, houses on both sides of me can get Vodafone broadband so hopefully engineer sound and sorts me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Yeah, done this loads of times throughout the country for new build stores we manage. Its not great but it works fine, as long as there is an open path and since your neighbours one worked for an order means there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

It's been covered above, but I had a simular situation when I moved into my house, no eircode found with any of the providers however as I had worked in eir many moons ago I contacted an old colleague in that particular area who advised it would take around 6 months for an updated ARD file (loaded regularly mind you but new eircodes was every 6 months) and it was there a few months later, I found Vodafone, SIRO and Digiweb took a bit longer.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by open path? Is it up to engineers discretion really? House about 20ms up has it and few 100ms down past me also has it according to vodafone broadband search of eircodes they can get fibre.

last question i think, i dont show up on open eir map as having broadband, but houses each side of me have it, does this mean the infrastructure will be in place for Vodafone to install and is it just because im a new build im not showing up as having it.

Went to eir shop in dublin, explained the situation. He filled out a form and he said he is going to create an ard key for me, do overnight spede test and get somebody on about installation. If my address shows up with red dot, it will be added and may take few more days very helpful guy, seems i should have broadband in matter of weeks if Vodafone installer wont do it next week without Eircode on tehri registry.

More Bad news, eir told me they won't be coming out to me as im on National broadband plan which looks like it will be jul-dec2024 when i might get that broadband. Seems most new builds on that so providers wont service us if we on national broadband plan. Open eir got back to me said as it is a new build, they will look to see if they can provide the fibre service to me. If people on both sides of my house have Fibre broadband, would it be easy for open eir to connect me up? Have Vodafone coming Tuesday under neighbors Eircode but is that pointless now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Have Vodafone coming Tuesday under neighbors Eircode but is that pointless now

It was pointless at the start.They won’t connect you at some one else eircode. Doesn’t matter if this eircode for the house next door or hundreds miles away.

Yeah he didnt connect me but gave me good advice. New line of fire running just outside my house and said i should be able to get it no problem when open eir add me to their database. They will have to put up pole and run duct into house. Have duct left out anyway so just have to dig small trench for it. Main thing is i should be able to get it as 1km down the road the fibre line stops.

Hi newhouse, as expected.

Just a little confused, fibre line stops 1km down the road, doesn't next door have fibre connected or does the fibre run directly in front of your house?

one line stops just up from my house then maybe 10 feet gap and and new line start . The DP box is about 100m down the road on a pole but they have already brought it back up to another pole just in front of my house. Presume they don't dig driveway, i will have to do that? Have wavin pipe going into back bedroom, buried under footpath, had to dig some lawn yesterday to find it and ill have to extend that to roadside im imagining. I mean a km down the road is as far as open eir went. I have dp boxes 100m either side but only linked to one as gap in poles from top dpbox so i would be on the dp box down the road if that makes sense.

How deep do most people bury duct for fibre cable?

• Advertisement

They don't do the ducting on your property, overhead is an option I assume if you don't want to dig.

Was any telecom ducting from the roadside to a small white box (ETU), near the meter box, installed during the build?

Regarding the 10ft gap, did they go underground here with the fibre to avoid overhead ESB wires, this would be standard.

Advertisement