Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast for 40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Full race report to follow, was a tough day, rollercoaster of emotions. Got around in 3:45:25.

A few factors went against me on the day that I'll go into in my report and probably made a couple of mistakes as well but it's all a learning process.

Still reflecting and processing the whole experience and will try to get a full report in the coming days.

The support was amazing the whole way around and that finishing km the noise levels just grew and grew nearing the finish which was a great lift.

Proud to have finished the marathon and can now say I'm a marathoner! Well done to everyone who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Remember that mistakes are valuable to us.

3:45 is a cracking time regardless. Looking forward to reading the report, but I do hope you realise your ultimate goal of a sub 3 is still attainable.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm fairly content with the outcome from yesterday and although yesterday I probably had a few doubts, I think today, weirdly, I'm feeling that is definitely achievable.

I've only been running a year, a lot yet to learn and every training week and race there's something to learn. The one thing I'm trying to learn is not to be overly critical of myself. Lookomg forward to getting the time to sit town and write the report and re-live the race!

Post edited by MooShop on

DCM 2022 race report

Here goes, buckle in for a long one, may need to go boil the kettle!!

I got the train up on Saturday, straight to the Expo to pick up my race pack. Wasn't there until after 4:30pm so it was pretty much winding down, didn't want to be longer on my feet than necessary so jumped on a bus and headed for my friends house, near Bushy Park, who kindly put me up for the night. A lovely evening with them catching up over dinner and off to bed after 9:30, spent a few mins getting my gear laid out for the morning. Wasn't nervous or anxious, was looking forward to getting going in the morning.

Woke up in the morning, before my alarm around 6:10am. Oh no!! I feel like crap. Sore throat, ear aching, headache. Crap, my daughters and wife had a bug all week and my wife had been complaining of similar symptoms in the couple of days prior, thought I had managed to avoid it!

Energy wise I was feeling ok though so I didn't panic, just got up and continued with the morning plan, had brought my own oats so made those and had half litre of water with a hydration tablet. Didn't feel any better after eating and just thought I'll keep an eye ony HR early on I'm the race and if I feel it's high I'll ease off and change my plan. Got myself dressed and did some stretches to loosen out hips and glutes and I was off to the bus stop.

Bus didn't show so walked down towards Terenure in the hopes of finding a coffee shop before the next bus, no such luck, surprising lack of such establishments in the area, though it was only 7:30, still this is Dublin!!

Got chatting to a guy at the bus stop with a clear plastic bag as well, he was from Belfast and on his way to meet his friend. Gave him coins for the bus as he only had a note but there was no sign of the bus, he was anxious to meet his mate and hailed a taxi on an app, he said he was trying all morning to no avail. He asked if I wanted to share and also a couple that were waiting at the bus stop heading in as well. Taxi man dropped us at the top of Leeson St I think, the kind Belfast stranger took care of the taxinamd wouldn't hear of it when I offered to pay or transfer money. Lovely act of kindness, he was running with his friend who he mentioned was partially sighted, hope they had a great day. I wished him well as we parted ways.

I headed for the bag drop, damn this headache is not going away. I mimic a yawn and my throat and ear give out, crap! I pop into a Spar for a coffee as I had plenty of time and would usually have a coffee in the morning.

Before the bag drop found a railing across from Leinster house to get myself ready, put on my shoes, belt and put in my gels with my hydration tabs and salt tabs, put on my chest strap and packed up. Could feel the excitement and anticipation building as throngs of people headed towards the bag drop.

Dropped off the bag, found somewhere to do some stretches. Had a 250ml bottle of water and dropped half a hydration tab into it to sip on between now and the race start. Followed signs for wave 2 but was planning to go with wave 3. Joined the long queue for the toilets, didn't mind waiting as had plenty of time. By the time I got down closer to the start wave 2 was being set off, wave 3 had started moving towards me so I settled in at the front of the crowds and waited for the off.

Race 0-10km

Got to the line and started just in front of the 4hour pacers. Was a bit of an underwhelming start really I thought, some lad on the mic talking about Joyce I think and saying other stuff, no music, no big countdown, out of nowhere the gun goes, think everyone is startled for a split second but we are off. Some lads go hurtling off down the street, I had positioned myself towards the right but near the centre of the road in preparation for the sharp right first corner.

I'm relaxed and settle into my pace, couple of quick glances at the watch to make sure I'm not getting carried away. Lots of people, lots of chatter, the noise of feet pounding the road, excited to be off. Nice wide road, stepped on one of the big manhole covers, oops that was slippy, need to concentrate! Watch beeps, 1km done 5:02, was thinking around 5:05-5:10 pace for the first 10-11km so not far off, quick glance of the HR and so far so good.

We passed by St. Patrick's Cathedral and saw kids with signs for their Daddy, thoughts drifted to my daughter's and wife who were making the trip up to see me at the finish line! Was looking forward to seeing them.

Up the hill at Christchurch, quick glance at the HR and it's spiked, hopefully it's just the effort of the hill. Relaxed and down the hill, along the canal check in again with the HR and it's back to normal. I was thinking in the early stages keep the HR in the high 150's, early 160's ok. If it started to climb to high 160's/170's I'd back off. Quick check in with myself and the one thing I note is that my legs don't feel as fresh as they should, feel a bit heavy but think that maybe that will pass.

Up past Stoneybatter, picked up a water bottle from the station which was earlier than I thought, surely that wasn't 5k?! After that came across our first DJ stage of the day, wasn't expecting it but the music and cheers we're great, have a few high fives and rounded the corner on the downhill towards Phoenix Park entrance. Quick glance at the HR and it's spiked again...note to self, don't get carried away at those fan sections!!

In to Phoenix Park and in a good rhythm now, pace is ok maybe a little ahead of where I wanted but effort feels fine. On to Chesterfield Avenue and know it's a drag from here to Castleknock so don't push it and try to keep effort even.

Around the roundabout at another fan section, drums going, give high fives to kids along the way, really enjoying the atmosphere. Heart rate spikes again after that, another note to self..seriously calm down at these fan sections!

Through the gates and hit 10km, watch reads 50:33, maybe a minute hotter than I planned but feeling very comfortable so happy at this stage.

11-20km

I don't heed my second note to myself at Castleknock! Great atmosphere there, high fives again and out of nowhere I hear my full name being shouted and look back to see one of the lads, big thumbs up for him, that puts a smile on my face. Heart rate goes up a bit again but decide that's that, I'm enjoying the experience and the fan interaction but won't do that from here on in as need to keep HR down and keep the effort even.

Somewhere after Castleknock I pick up a water bottle, grab a half hydration tab from my belt and carry that with me for the next while. I use the downhills to bank some time, speed increases without expending any extra effort.

Back into the park, I keep checking in with myself, HR looks ok, breathing feels easy, feel relaxed, legs not feeling as free as they should. But I continue with my strategy, I'm passing people but don't feel like I'm pushing, feels relatively easy, spot a camera man, smile and thumbs up, I usually never spot them and never look good!!

Out of the park, great support heading for Chapelizod, under that bridge and up that hill, that's a steep hill!! At least I think it was here!! For the hills I try to maintain effort, shorten my stride and increase cadence trying not to expend too much extra energy, just try and keep the effort relative.

Going grand tipping along Sarsfield road an area of Dublin I'm not familiar with, great local support again. People out with music, offering jelly babies etc. I spot the mile 11 marker, then out of nowhere .. get twinges I'm both legs. It's like the dash on your car lighting up. Could feel my shins, calves, quads on both legs all have this weird twinge that gets my attention. What was that? Felt a bit crampy but way too early for that.

Then I'm thinking is it my shoes, I've work them for all my races so far this year but haven't done anything over a half marathon in them and used them very sparingly in my build up block. But we are only 11miles in and never had issues with the shoes before. Is it what I felt this morning that's causing this? That headache still hasn't dosappeared. Legs haven't been feeling 100% all day so tell myself for next few water stations take some water on, and take 2 salt tabs. From here I don't push on I keep the effort steady, back off a little and try to manage this now and see how they go.

Coming into Rialto at the small roundabout, used to rent a room in a house just down near the canal, can almost spot it from the roundabout, familiar territory! On to Dolphin's barn and great support once again, roads lined with people. From here I'm not paying as much attention to the crowds, focusing on what's in front of me, and trying to concentrate and manage my legs which at this stage are feeling ok. Heavy, don't really feelike cramping now but definitely have stiffened up a bit.

Up the dreaded Crumlin Road drag, have read lots about this. I don't think it was that bad but it just feels monotonous or something, I was just focusing on keeping the legs ticking over keeping the effort steady. I started to notice people walking, so couldn't take this stretch for granted.

Water station ahead, grabbed salt tabs and took them and took a few swigs of water. Crossed the half way mark here.

Half way: 1:46:40 (20k 1:40:45 11-20km 50:12)

This was actually encouraging, because I had been managing the run and not pushing on for the past few km and still to be tracking for 3:30, I was very happy with. The focus was now to just keep up what I've been doing, keep an eye on HR, keep effort relative. Get to 32km and can push on for the last 10km.

Half - 30km

The drag continues! Then a reprieve a downhill, think this is Drimnagh, can just let the legs go here and relax. Is that Conor McGregor's pub I've heard about?! Round the corner crowd tightens in and the road narrows as a result. Some guy in front of me high fives someone and then just stops dead to talk to them, evasive action needed, runners across the road at a slower pace so need to mount footpath to go around them, risky but ok.

Trying to remember the route now, why are we going up a drag again. I remember it continues as far as Walkinstown roundabout, no clue how far that is but brain becoming a bit foggy now! Just keep on going.

Don't recall much of the next few km's think they were relatively flat once we got past Walkinstown road roundabout. Think the paces here were around 5:10/km average roughly. Passing some people but felt more like I was just holding my own here

Although legs felt heavy and a bit tight they were doing ok, and those concerns around cramping had passed. I knew there was a downhill section around Templeogue Road, felt good so pushed on here for the first time since mile 11 clocking 5:00/km's for km 28 and 29. This felt good, was passing people at a faster rate than in a good while in the race and felt relatively comfortable, had to push a bit but didn't think I was working too hard.

Eased off a little I think just to keep HR down. Saw signs as we approached 30km, my memory of this part of the course is a bit hazy, can remember good crowds around here I think! 30km watch shows 2:32:38.

31-40km

Was just thinking that I was still on for 3:30 if I could push on from here. Then all of a sudden bang, out of nowhere, left hamstring cramps hard. No running through that, need to stop, try to stretch and quad starts to cramp, try to stretch that and hamstring cramps worse. That's it, race over, flood of emotion and can't hold it back as I burst into tears. Wow, was not expecting that. I'm thinking my race is over. I try to walk, hamstring in a knot, quad ok again. I keep walking, tears streaming down my face. Then I spot a mother and her daughter outside their house handing out bananas, exactly what I need. Thanked her through tears and peeled the banana.

Couple of bites and I somehow manage a jog, keep eating the banana as the jog turns into a tentative run. I can't believe I'm running, tears stop and I'm beginning to get my focus back. Ok that was a shock but keep moving, 3:30 gone but this race isn't over.

There was a long downhill section here so let gravity take me here and I'm passing people again. Legs feel like they are working. Great crowd outside the dropping well and the road narrows with the people out I'm support, the staff out cheering on one of their own giving her high fives and cherrs as she passes just a few bodies in front of me. Under the arches along Milltown Road, and along a straight stretch I feel a twinge, right hamstring, try to change leg steide to straighten it or stop it from xramping but no, too late right hamstring full cramp.

Different reaction this time, no outpouring of emotion, more of a FFS, frustration that it's happened again. Try to stretch, doesn't seem to be working. So I just walk, hand on back of my hamstring just feel a big knot keep it there as I try to walk it out. I'm just at the bottom of a big hill, don't know what it's called but I walked up that. Walkkg did the trick and getting to the crest of the hill I break out into a jog again. Now it's just a matter of getting to the finish line, hoping upon all hopes that I avoid cramping any more.

With all the talk of Crumlin Road I must have missed the chat on Clonskeagh Road, found the drag here horrible and seemingly neverending, not much support in places, this was tough, dare I say grim in parts. I was suffering at this stage. Although my legs were moving I was working hard to do so, any sort of form out the window. Legs felt so stiff that range of motion just wasn't there so felt like a shuffle. Legs just felt on the cusp of cramping at any time. So was just trying to grind it out. Think of the next step, the next few metres, road turns out of view, slowly comes back into view, damn this drag goes on forever.

Everything sort of melded into one here, can't recall a timeline of places, no idea where I am now, just following people, following the course. Legs screaming at me, I ignore them and dig deep. Just keep shuffling. There was quite a steep hill around here somewhere, I remember some people asking if it was 'Heatbreak Hill' I didn't think it could be but tried to work out the maths in my head but my brain was mush, I knew it was around 4km from the end, I knew we weren't 4km from the end, but this hill is a ****er, though I won't walk I just keep the legs moving, slowly step after step I make it up that god damn hill.

I'm hurting but I'm running, well I'm not sure you could call it that but there are lots of people walking now, I notice bodies on the side of the road, either being looked after or people just trying to deal with their own cramps. Just keep moving. Don't care about the watch now, paces don't matter, just keeping an eye on the HR, but not passing any heed of splits, so focused on just keeping going that I don't think I can hear the watch beep.

Roebuck hill - just keep the legs turning over, short stride as high a cadence as I can muster, grit the teeth and I'm up and over, a left turn I think and downhill from here from what I've read....nope not even close!!

Coming down the hill at Merrion Rd I think towards the N11, that's a hill to get on to the N11, well **** me, just take the same approach and get up the hill, some guy tries to high five his friends and something in his leg cramps. I shout as I pass to keep moving. Contemplate taking my last gel here before the UCD flyover, had been taking them every 30mins and one before the start, but stomach now not sure about it. I open it and slowly start to take some. Up and over the flyover, decide I can't take any more gel and just put it away.

Incline after coming down the other side of the flyover towards Nutley Avenue I believe, and this seems like a monster!! Loads of people walking, people passing me, I'm still run shuffling and determined not to walk.

Next thing I know I'm at the RDS, fighting just to keep moving, everything hurts but I know I'm going to make it to the finish.

40km - finish

Crowds start building from here, it's taking everything I have to just keep moving, legs are getting stiffer and I feel I've slowed but it's the only gear I have. Thoughts move to my family, I wonder did they make it, are they somewhere on the course near the finish or will I just see them at the end. For the first time in 10km I'm looking at the crowd scanning both sides of the road. Thoughts about what I'll do if I see them, do I stop for a hug and a kiss, or just get as close as I can and keep moving, stop now and I might not get going again. All these thoughts swirling around in my head and I can feel the emotion building again.

Inside the last 2km now and being passed loads, I don't care I'm making the finish line and I may not be moving quickly but I'm also still passing some people. At this stage I actually start encouraging others, summoning strength to get out any words of encouragement. Noticed a couple of guys at different times stop ahead of me and I'd tell them to keep going, I'm cramping and if I can do it they can. It sure if they heard or if i was coherent enough.

No sign of my family, they must be at the end, or if they're in the finishing straight I'm not going to spot them. 1km to go, I see the bridge over the canal, the crowds are building the noise is unreal. Completely zone out here and just give it everything for the last 800m. Feels like I'm moving faster but can't be sure, I pass one or two. I'm moving now, gritting my teeth and just staring at the finishing line in the distance. I spot the 400m sign, bang left hamstring fires a warning shot, I adjust and limp run. I clench both my fists, I'm audibly groaning with every stride now, teeth gritted. I run through the cramp... there's the finish mat, I clench my two fists out in front in celebration and cross the finish mat.

3:45:25.

Post race

It's busy and people just seem to stop dead, I gently move someone to the side so I can keep moving, keep walking up the barrier corridor and get my medal. I just want to keep moving as stopping I fear I'll cramp. A couple of the volunteers say my name and have words of encouragement. A fellow competitor passes and sees me limping and says it will be worse tomorrow!! Thanks, though barely had the energy to reply.

Get to the bag drop, and go to meet my family. Have to walk back down Merrion st, as they can't get up, we are let through a fence. I see my wife and daughter, give them a big hug and the emotion just falls out of me, cry again on my wife's shoulder, I needed that, once I had that out of my system I was ok.

Surprisingly legs didn't cramp and actually managed to walk to the train at Connolly. We pretty much left straight away so I didn't get to soak up and post race atmosphere.

Think initially I was disappointed but having given myself a couple of days I have to be proud with what I achieved. How I perserved and had to find inner strength I didn't know was there, went to the well and emptied it!!

Still lots to analyse from this, was it just the sickness I felt that morning that caused most of it? Did the shoes play a part? My hydration may have been a bit off, practiced a lot but maybe didn't execute as well on the day or possibly a bit of everything.

It hit me hard the next day, and still today, had to take today off work and still not feeling right. Stuffed nose, sore throat, sore ear, odd headache. Don't think the run caused that to be worse, think I was getting it anyway and the timing was just unfortunate though I think it is affecting my recovery. Legs, quads in particular are still quite sore today.

Lots to learn, lots learned, had it put me off? No! Will take this week off and take it from there.

Thanks if you've made it this far, it's a bit of a ramble!!

Splits

10k: 50:33

20k: 1:40:45 (50:12)

30k: 2:32:38 (51:53)

40k: 3:32:12 (59:34)

Finish: 3:45:25

• Advertisement

That’s a great read. So many familiar feelings … especially the ones on Clonskeagh road. Well done for keeping going throughout. Hope you recover from the headcold soon.

I've just signed up for Manchester - we go again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great report, looks like it was a tough enough day for most!

Manchester is good, I did it in 2019, best of luck with the training for it😊

Well that was an unscheduled sabbatical from the log!!

After Dublin, I started doing some easy running after about a week and felt mostly fine, the plan was to kick on from there and put in a big base block in November/December to build up my aerobic capacity but life had other ideas!

We moved into our new house in the lead up to Xmas, and with it being a self build it was quite stressful. So didn't have time to focus on running so stepped away from it almost completely but that definitely didn't help mentally.

It was an exciting time moving in but I got myself very stressed and also not running I didn't really have an outlet so wasn't in a great place mentally for a while!

Thankfully I've passed that now, really enjoying our new home and I'm focused on running again.

November: 85.2km

December: 41.5km

After a stressful couple of months and pretty much no running, January was upon us and only about 15weeks to Manchester. Wasn't feeling good, knew I probably lost a tonne of fitness and just generally wasn't feeling great about running.

Focus for the month was just to get back running, and running regularly and consistently. The consistency part of it nearly bolit me straight away, after the first week where I ran 4 times and a long run of 15km, in week 2 I had to travel to the UK for a family bereavement, we were over there for a couple of nights and there were a lot of pints consumed in those nights, though I managed to get up early one morning for an early morning trot along a lovely coastline. I managed to get 3 runs in that week including a long run of 18k so was good overall.

I finished out the rest of the month hitting 4 runs a week, not worrying about times or speedsz just getting out running and making it a routine again. Overall I managed 16runs in the month all at an easy aerobic pace which is what I needed to build some form of base.

Long runs of 15k,18k,21k,23k. Ended the month on 185k and surprisingly the second highest mileage I've ever managed in a month, only topped by the month of Dublin marathon last year.

And the difference now is that I wasn't experiencing any form of niggles or anything. In the last block my mileage sort of plateaued for the few months leading into the marathon while I managed niggles and seemed to be visiting the physio every other week.

This was a good month, brought me back in touch with running, it was bringing me joy again and that was feeding into work and family life.

• Advertisement

February started and figured I wouldn't go mad but would start to hit the weekly session at targeted paces. The onw thing I am much more conscious of in thos block is doing my easier runs easy, actually easy.

Looking back at the last block and those niggles, outside of my weekly session and long run, my two other runs I was running them too fast so fatigue caught up with me and injuries occurred, well that's the theory I'm running with anyway.

This block I still have the same structure, but the 2 easier days are easy. Usually 45 & 50mins, last block would have been hitting them around 5:05-5:10/km, this block I'm probably averaging them around 5:40-5:45/km. Legs feel like they can handle the load and the tougher days better now as well. Still not perfect by any means but feel like I've brought learnings from my last block and it has improved my training, well so far anyway.

Week 1:

Run 1: 50mins@5:20/km

Run 2: 15mins@4:45/km 15mins@4:30/km total 50mins avg 4:47/km

Run 3: 50mins@5:30/km

Run 4: 25km@5:05/km

Week 2:

Run 1: 45mins@5:56/km

Run 2: 15mins@4:35/km 5x30sec strides total 50mins avg 4:48/km

Run 3: 50mins@5:46/km

Run 4: 29km@5:04/km - was only planning to do 27km but took a different route back and ended up going over. Was thinking 5x3km but ended up doing 4x3km & 1x5km. Felt very good on this run and the first time I felt like I was gaining fitness!

Week 3:

Run 1: 45mins@5:45/km

Run 2: 3x10mins@4:25/km with 2min float 56mins avg 4:53/km

Run 3: 50mins@5:32/km

Run 4: 30km@4:55/km included 4x5km@4:50/km with 1k float

Week 4:

Run 1: 20min active recovery @6:02/km

Run 2: 45mins@5:45/km

Run 3: 8x3mins@4:15/km with 90sec float total 56mins avg 4:46/km

Run 4: 50mins@5:31/km

Run 5: 32km@4:57/km included 20km@5:00/km & 8k@4:50/km - a tough run but wasn't sure I'd manage the 8km increase in pace but was pleasantly surprised, last 1500m of that was quite tough though.

This was the first week I added an extra run, I felt I still had the long run in my legs by the time Monday came around which should have been 45mins but added a very easy run that is just an active recovery really. And I've kept this going this week as well so now my week looks like: active recovery Monday, 45mins Tuesday, session Wednesday, rest day, 50mins Friday, Long run Saturday rest day Sunday.

Gives me a monthly total of 18 runs (2runs not included as I'll include them in week 1 of march) for a distance 233km, only 7km short of the most kms I've ever put up in a month, back to back consistent months and really enjoying it at the moment. Have it locked down as a routine, there isn't a day where I question whether I'll go out, it's just always finding the right time to go out between meetings etc.

This month has really given me confidence I can break 3:30 in Manchester, which 8 weeks ago I didn't think I would. Fitness seems to be improving every week. Just hope I can keep this going for another month, and being smart in my decision making and not pushing too hard when I shouldn't. Onwards and upwards!

So I really haven't kept on top of this log at all. With work and a young family, find it hard to remember to post. But Manchester is tomorrow, I'm in the airport, so what better time to catch up!

The end of February was my last message and I felt like things were starting to come together and since then I've put some very good weeks together, especially some of my long runs, nearly surprised myself with how well one of the 34k runs went.

I managed to get through the whole block injury free but the last weekend before the taper and I developed a little cough, was in two minds about doing my final long run of 30k but did it in the end.

Spoiler: I still have the cough!!

I had it for a week and it was just annoying, then it got on to my chest. I've just been taking it easy, keeping hydrated and trying to rest more as I think it may have been lack of sleep that contributed towards this. But I haven't been sick with it, have been able to work, have had plenty of energy, I missed a few runs in the taper but it hasn't stressed me as I've put a great block together. It has been getting better daily this week, yesterday I was barely coughing. It's back a bit more today so just hoping that by tomorrow it is more like yesterday as I doubt it will be fully gone!

In conclusion I've gained a lot of confidence from my block, put some great runs together and one or two grinds as well. Feeling fitter and stronger than before Dublin (well before this cough) The cough has knocked my confidence a bit as to how quick I can actually go on the day. Saying that I'm very confident of hitting 3:30, think only the wheels falling off will have me the wrong side of 3:30. Aiming for around 3:25, not going to be greedy and go out with that plan and just see what happens on the day. If I didn't have this cough for the past two weeks I'd probably have been confident of pushing for a 3:22-23ish time. Feeling very relaxed about the whole thing, again a contrast to Dublin, so will enjoy it and take it for what it is! Will definitely be on the lookout for an Autumn marathon as well, definitely caught the bug!!

I had started another message summarising my training for March but I'm on my phone and not sure what happened but ended up losing what I had written so I'll try and come back when I'm doing my post race log and post some details of some of the sessions and long runs I did through March.

Hope it went very well.

Race recap

I flew over to Manchester the day before the race, no hassle travelling and made my way to the house we were renting. A few of my friends were also running, so a good weekend was in store.

That evening I went out for a short 15min shakeout and felt my chest have a slight burning sensation and was still coughing. One of the lads recommended Olbas oil, so I picked some up and it was soothing to breath in. I read the instructions and it said you can put a few drops in a bowl of hot water and leave it beside the bed overnight, which is what I did. I don't know if it was that or if my body just knew the race was coming but when I woke up, my chest was ok and I wasn't coughing, happy days!

Very relaxed morning, had my hydration tab in a pint of water along with breakfast and a coffee, had all my gear laid out from the might before so was an easy morning. Did a few stretches and jumped in a can with one of the lads to the train station.

Got off the train and made followed the crowds down to the bag drop, my mate was a 2 waves in front of me so he trotted off ahead of me in the bag drop and I had time to take it easy and send a quick video to my wife and daughter before dropping the phone with the bag.

Long enough wait around, but made our way to the start line. Wave in front of us is at the line and we are beside a speaker do can hear the MC and music blaring, starting to get excited about going now and just want to start, some people break the tape and dash across to the wave in front. Off that wave goes and now we just have 10mins to wait.

Kept a top on until this point and took it off just a few mins before off, just trying to keep loose. Feeling very calm and relaxed. Countdown begins and we're off, straight into a downhill section, I tried to keep this controlled and not get carried away, some people fly off and fly past but I stick to my guns and do my own thing. Plan was to go out a little easier than the pace I want to settle into.

1st km was around the 5min mark so happy with that, nice and relaxed so just focus on keeping controlled, next km was 4:42 so a bit hot so trying to stay concious about not going too hard too early and trying to find the 4:50/km pace that I was aiming for. The next few km were a touch under 4:50 but felt good and didn't feel like I was pushing, if anything felt like I was pulling on the reigns a bit but to me that was perfect for how you should feel at this stage, so I thought!

I remember after a few km turning on to Sir Matt Busby way, I'm a Utd fab so running past Old Trafford and back past it again was something special. There was a crowd at the junction here but it was eerily quiet, found it weird, almost felt like saying something haha!

The next few km just rattled by, my focus was on my form and pace, checking in with myself and just trying to go by feel as much as possible. Keeping myself well hydrated and taking on gels when I'm supposed to. Plan was a gel every 35-40mins. I also had two soft flasks on me of SIS Beta carb mix, had trained with this and seemed to work well. Carried one for the first 50mins or so, as long as it took me to drink it, and had one in my belt.

I was about an hour and a half in before I remembered my salt tablets, had a packet of those salt stick tabs in my belt. I'm a heavy enough sweater and thought it would help to take on some sodium to help avoid cramps like in Dublin but didn't cramp at all in training and had some hard long runs so if I stick to my nutrition plan I should be ok.

All of these middle km's are a bit of a blur now, oh actually forgot to mention the crowds in the city in the first 5 or 6km, first big crowds of the day up a hill and turn back on ourselves, live video here on big screens, great crowd, Deansgate I think it's called. I remember a DJ under a bridge playing techno and saw runners coming back the other way so knew that would be a lift on the way back!!

Somewhere around the early 20kms I remember starting to get a twinge in my left hamstring, surely not, this isn't happening again? I open my salt stick packet and take 3 of them. Trying to pay attention to my body now, don't want another disaster like Dublin.

Enter Altrincham and up a big hill, who out this thing here!! Remember looking at the route elevation beforehand and looked fairly flat apart from the hill in the city early on wasn't expecting a hill, just some small ungulating hills, this is tough, need to adjust here, just keep the effort the same don't worry about paces, relief when I get to the top around the town and back down on the way out!

Paces are good though, ticking off the km's around the 4:50/km mark so still happy. Approaching 30km, there's a water station ahead, I get in position to take a water and just before I grab one, bang, hamstring cramps. Momentary panic, grabbed the water, kept running, I'm telling myself to relax, just keep running, it's awkward, I'm limping, I drop off the effort slightly and I'm still running, some people are passing me now, maybe 500m later and it starts to fade and then it's gone. After another few hundred cautious metres I feel ok and get back into my stride again, back on pace now and start overtaking some people who passed me in that moment.

Pass the 31k then the 32k mark, ok ran a km feeling good. My watch showing I'm still on pace so confidence is good. 33km-ish, bang hamstring cramps again. This time no panic so adjust my stride, few deep breaths and it passes, had taken all my salt tablets at this stage, can't really remember the timeline but remember taking them in quick enough succession to try and keep the cramps at bay.

35km right hamstring cramps this time out of nowhere, oh crap this is worse than the other two. Try to stay calm, not easing. Have to drastically change my stride, really feel like I'm limping now, though it takes the pressure off the cramping muscle, and it passes. Not sure if my stride can return to normal, for the next couple of km I feel like I'm bounding along, if you're familiar with Ironman athletes, think Lionel Sanders style!! It's working though and surprisingly my pace isn't far off.

The final 5km, legs feel ok, I'm bounding along, I know now no matter what happens I will finish and that gives me confidence. People starting to flag now, passing people who are cramping or just stop and walk, try actually shouting some words of encouragement at a few here, I'm thinking I'm cramping and I'm still going so you can too. Also gives me confidence, I'm cramping and I'm actually passing people!!

38&39km I hit 4:54/km, pace dipped a bit. I get back into a good stride and 40&41km I hit 4:42's. I realise at the 40km mark my GPS is way out, watch beeped around 500m before the actual course marker. 42km 4:53/km, final stretch now, back to where we walked to the bag drop earlier I know it's the final stretch, quick glance at the watch, can I dip under 3:25 so just give it everything I've got, shoe down and I'm passing so many people, trying to find a line where I don't have to take evasive action as I'm wary any sudden movement may enduce another cramp. Cross the line, 3:24:47.

Absoluteky delighted, 21min PB, just keep walking, don't want to stop in case I cramp but feeling ok, grab my medal and t-shirt and make my way to bag drop. Video call my wife and kids and have a bit of an emotional moment as it hits me what I've just done, what I've come through and dipped under my target time. Extremely proud of myself and delighted to have run such a good race. Feels like a bit of redemption after Dublin but also without Dublin I wouldn't have had the experience of cramping and don't think I would have been able to deal with that first cramp and subsequent cramps as I did without that experience, so I wouldn't change either of them!!!

Race post mortem I'm left wondering as to why I'm still cramping.

In Dublin, feeling sick and taking on too much water before the race, as when I started and tried to take gels and drink some water it was sloshing around in my stomach so didn't take on enough and ended up cramping.

Manchester my hydration and nutrition were spot on, took a carb mix which had about 67g carbs in total and each gel had 40g and took 4.5 gels as well. Took about 1.3L of water during the race, including the carb mix of 500ml. And took 10salt tabs during the race.

So, I think that hydration/nutrition should be ok. And now I'm thinking it's strength related, need to work a bit more on strengthening some muscle groups. It's all a learning experience so I'll bring that into my next marathon block, though haven't another one signed up for yet.

Any thoughta or insights from more experienced runners as to what might be causing the cramps would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Well done on the race, I did it last year and loved it.

Do you use electrolytes during your training? Also 10 Salt tabs seems a lot, I'm not sure what brand or type they are but I only ever take one(decathlon brand) before the race.

This article suggest poor form later in the race might contribute to the cramps, although with internet coaches it more opinion than actual science.

They were actually the salt stick fast chews from Holland and Barrett. No, I didn't need to use them in training, I tested my hydration and gel startegy in training and executed it the exact same, had no issues in training with cramps, the worst I felt in training was my longest run of 36km where my muscles just felt sore and tight towards the end but more than likely you'll always feel that towards the end of that type of distance!

Had the electrolyte tabs as backup really after what happened in Dublin and do think they helped. I wouldn't say 10 is a lot. I've listened to a good few running podcasts and a few I listened too had sweat tests done and said that "normal" sweaters need to replace about 800mg of sodium per hour of endurance activity. 2 of those tabs equate to 100mg so if anything maybe I underdosed! Though like I said I hadn't really practiced that as I didn't have cramping issues in training this time (I did before Dublin) so I considered myself better trained this time.

Form breaking down definitely could be a factor, probably need more strength and core strength too. But also the cramps forced me to change form so maybe even that contributed to further cramps?!!

There are so many factors and variables that go into a marathon it might be hard to pinpoint but definitely interesting and something I can work on going forward.

Looking forward to concentrating on some faster stuff now for the next couple of months. Aiming to do a few 5km and 10kms. Haven't raced a 10km in nearly a year and been a year and a half since I did a 5km!

Good luck with the 5K and 10K, if its been a year you've probably forgotten how horrible they are ;-) , from the first k to the last, 5k all out is hard. Might be my least favorite distance.

In relation to training without electrolytes or salts, why not? I know we have a "no need for electrolyte brigade around these parts" but why not take them for medium and long runs during Marathon blocks? 16 odd weeks of heavy sweating might leave you in deficit and contribute to the cramps when you eventually run the marathon, no harm in it(* Like 99% or online commentators and Journalists I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, just makes sense in my head)

Yeah maybe it was an oversight, but I guess when it didn't bother me at all when the long runs were ramping up I thought that being better trained was the fix.

Just found it a strange coincidence that in a race scenario I cramped exactly at the 30km mark even though both races were approached a lot differently.

It's something I'll bring into my next block with me and probably try consuming electrolytes in training next time. It's only my second marathon and still a relatively new runner so just going to chalk all this down to experience and I'm sure I'll figure it out after a few more!!

5k and 10k are a lot different alright but looking forward to the change in pace again. Will be interesting to see how I get on, have built a lot more endurance since those last races.

• Advertisement

Nice one, I have to agree with the 5K and 10K. The summer before last I spent a few months increasing my speed, lots of park runs all out, a few quick 10K and as a consequence when I got to the next Marathon I reckon I was in the best shape ever. Make sure your stretching and foam rolling though, easy to get niggles running above threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great report and brilliant result, you really ground that out, fair play.

Would you recommend Manchester marathon?

Best of luck with the 5/10k block.

Thanks very much, had to dig deep in the final 12km alright but if I can sort the cramping and with more training there's a lot more improvement there I reckon.

Yeah, overall, I'd recommend it. It's a well organised event with good transport links, well supported. Parts of the course that are a bit boring but I suppose most marathons probably have sections like that. It's fairly flat though was not expecting the hill in Altrincham at all, don't think the course profile was exactly accurate or I didn't pay enough attention to it!! It's a good course to PB on, know a few others that were over and PB'd as well. And it was easy to get an entry and we'll priced, think I got a ticket for under £70.

Very well done. I’m no help on the cramps I’m afraid. Were you really well hydrated prior to the race?

Thanks. Yeah, sure I kept well hydrated, I take a hydration tablet every morning and usually 2 litres of water a day, made sure I was getting that in the 2 weeks leading in to the race.

Just to add, I think hydration was part of the issue in Dublin on the day but don't think it could be the issue here.

Took a full week off after the marathon, felt like I needed it. The cough that was lingering in the weeks leading up to the marathon came back with a vengeance and had it all week and body felt beat up until probably the Wednesday after it so a full week of no running it was. Felt it was good to just take a break both physically and mentally.

April 24-30

Mon: 30mins easy @5:30/km total=5.45km

Wed: 30mins easy @ 5:20/km total=5.63km

Fri: 40mins easy @ 5:20/m total=7.55km

Weekly total: 18.6km

Was supposed to have another 50min easy run this week but ended up not fitting it in over the weekend with home life so need to plan to make sure I get my runs in, easy to fall out of the habit of planning runs after only a couple of weeks!!

May 1-7

Started this week with the 50mins I didn't manage last week as an extra run. Only 4 runs down on the plan with not a huge mileage and with the previous 2 weeks think that won't be a problem.

Mon: 50mins @ 5:00/km total=10km & 20mins strength training that night

Tues: 44mins @ 5:08/km total=8.64km

Wed: first session in a while 10mins easy to start and finish with 15mins@4:35/km and 10mins@4:15/km

Fri: 50mins easy @ 5:19/km total=9.41km

Sat: 16km @ 4:57/km

Weekly total: 53.9km

Wednesday session, I got the paces completely wrong, was closer to 4:20 than the 4:35's I should have been doing so overcooked it a bit and paid the price at the end, it was also warm that day. Had to stop the last rep a min short. Think I overcompensated for speed looking back, I turned back into the wind and there was a small incline and it's an area of dodgy GPS, looking back my pace here was 3:55/km so really got it wrong. Was a good session overall though and got the legs ticking over again. Just need to dial in those speeds again.

Coming up now the next big focus is the Dunshaughlin 10km. Haven't ran a 10km since there last year so will be a good benchmark to see my progress in a year with two marathon blocks under my belt.

There's a Mayo 5km series starting this week and 3 out of 4 of the races are only around 45mins away so I've signed up for 2 of them. One this week and one the last week in May so will be good to use as a stepping stone towards the 10km.

Haven't ran a 5km since jungle bells 5km in Phoenix Park Dec 2021 where I ran my PB 19:46. (Though I think this course is probably a bit contentious to use as a PB as it's so downhill!!) So, nearly 18months since I ran a 5km race (not even a parkrun) so will be interesting to see how that goes.

Completely different running for 5km and 10km so looking forward to changing things up and giving these a good lash in the coming weeks!

In the past 2 weeks on days I haven't been running I've been going for walks with herself and the wee one! 35-40mins, nice to get out with them as well.

Going to try and do some strength work more consistently, started this week and hopefully get in 1-2sessions a week, being consistent with this will be key but also the hardest part, just about finding a regular space for it in my schedule to become a routine.

Well that was tougher than expected!!

5k was this evening in Castlebar, what was a nice day turned into a wet evening. Don't mind the rain, it wasn't very heavy so it was ok, just had to watch your footing. Race started on a public road but then went on to a tarmac walking/running trail which could have been a bit slippy so just had to watch footing, especially for any manhole covers.

Race started on the flat, around a roundabout and up an incline, turn left into a steep enough climb for about 300m, turn off the public road on to the trail and it flattened out and then downhill to complete the first km.

The course flattened out but had some sharp bends in it, probably sharper than 90 degrees so definitely took you out of your rhythm and lost a second or two on each one. After the first km, it was one loop, around a river, and then back onto the same loop to finish.

The second km was a bit more downhill and settled into a good rhythm. 3:46 with the aid of the hill. One thing I tried for this race was to turn off auto lap, which worked well, wasn't constantly checking it and just tried to go by effort. But forgot to manual lap so these split times are coming from Strava!

Next 2kms I knocked off at 3:59, though I didn't know this as I wasn't getting lap times, but I remember checking the watch just after the 4km marker and watch said 15:49.

Disappointing final km as I ran out of steam and had nothing for the final 500m. The finish was on an uphill and when I rounded the corner I could see the clock, 19:50. Dug in, it looked like more than 10 seconds away! Ducked for the line and hit the watch, watch showed 19:59 (official timing showing 20:00 flat). Watch came in at 5.05km, mate ran it as well and got the same measurement on his watch.

Overall happy with that as I've done no speed work specific for shorter distances and only 3 weeks since Manchester marathon. No PB tonight but it's probably my best race as when I ran 19:46 it was a downhill course. So I'm there or there about, just needed to manage the pace a bit better.

But not having done any speed work I hadn't any idea of where I was or what I'd manage so happy enough with that effort. Benchmark set and will give it a good crack at the next 5km I've signed up for in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm familiar with the old route and although they took out the big hill this year, it was still a tough course and a dirty night for that type of race with the changes in surface & sharp turns etc... You should knock a bit off that in 3 weeks time. It is a much more favourable course, a lot less tight turns and undulations, it might even be net downhill by a small amount.

Advertisement