Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venue just for the civil ceremony in Galway

Options
  • 29-09-2022 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We are looking at having a micro wedding with just immediate family in attendance (approx 12 people). We want to find a nice room/venue to have a civil ceremony in with a registrar/celebrant then take our family to dinner at a favourite restaurant. But we are at a bit of a loss for places we could have the ceremony, are we just restricted to small hotel conference rooms? Are there any nice examples of these for such a small group? Any ideas for anywhere else we could try?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Would you just have the ceremony at the registry office? Otherwise, restaurants might have rooms for private dining that would do, potentially even the restaurant you want to eat at afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JayCeeGalway

As far as I can work out the registry office in Galway only does weddings on Thursday and Friday so if we wanted to opt for a weekend that wouldn't be an option. We would also quite like a nice/unique looking room to get married in for a couple of nice photos, and again the registry office in Galway doesn't really fit the bill for that. Will have to do some research on private dining room in Galway restaurants, it seems really hard to find spaces that might be available, but that could be an option!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m pretty sure you can only have a civil ceremony, whether the registrar is in the registry office or your chosen venue, Monday to Friday as civil servants don’t work weekends. If you want a weekend ceremony, you’re really looking at a Humanist celebrant, which will cost you about €500 and they’re booked up many months in advance.

One option is to do the legal ceremony quietly at the registry office during the week, and ask a friend or family member to “marry” you on the main day.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

Gáirdín Bhríde Centre in Roscahill does such ceremonies. it's a beautiful place.

My sister married there and then had the reception in a restaurant on the quay in Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bestcat

The Galway Bay hotel has a lovely library for weddings. It's also possible to get married outside overlooking the bay if the weather permits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

The Mick Lally theatre in Druid Lane can be hired out for 'private occasions'. I always thought it would be a beautiful place to get married and then stroll around the corner to Ruibin on the Docks. Best of luck to ye. Hope ye have a magic day.

Yes, we are looking into the option of a humanist wedding too if we opt for a weekend, but as you say may need to get that booked ASAP once we find a venue we would like to hold the ceremony in.

Thanks for the suggestion, just had a look and the library looks like a lovely room to have a wedding ceremony in :)

I think this looks like a fab spot, have enquired so will see if this might be possible. Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asbestos1

I belive Faith is correct in what was said

• Advertisement
Advertisement