Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat Arris box hardrive error

Options
  • 29-09-2022 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I have one one the new Arris boxes for last last 2 years. It started to give trouble and dropped all recordings. It recently started to display a message asking for the hard drive to be restarted to correct the errors. After restarting the same message is displayed again. I have tried to reset the box and unfortunately the message eventually appears again. Has anyone experience similar and been able to fix the box? Is a replacement hard drive the only solution? Nether freesat or the online seller will repair it unfortunately. I was thinking of replacing it myself although it seems to need a security hex to open it. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RDC18

Exact same happening on my Arris box from only a couple of days ago too. Think it’s an update error maybe and nothing wrong with the hard drive. I did a factory reset this evening. Hopefully no error tomorrow but I did lose all my recordings. Edit. My box is a couple of years old too.

Instead of clicking on the reboot option, I think I was able to skip it by just hitting the back or exit button. Then I got into the main menu and chose factory reset from the system settings menu on the box. Seems to be working okay but will know tomorrow after it’s been on standby for a while if the error has cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pete147

thanks RDC18 I appreciate you taking the time to reply. For me I cant seem to use the back button to get out of the reboot screen. Clicking it does not do anything in my case. What I have tried to do is quickly trigger the factory reset and hope that will mean I can continue on but so far no luck. Im running out out options unfortunately. i do like the box when it was working but to be honest it has had so many minor software issues I couldnt really recommend it at all as I think it could be a a waste of a couple of hundred pounds/euro.

Let me know how it goes for you. Finders crossed it will work for you!

Factory reset seemed to have worked. No warnings today, everything running fine.

• Advertisement

good to hear. Ill keep trying mine but it looks like a new HD might be the only way to get the box going again for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Did you manage to get this fixed?

Same thing has happened to me, box 2 years old also.

Tried turning it off and on and also a factory reset.

No joy.

Just an update on mine. As I said a short while back, Factory reset worked perfectly and everything was fine, but two weeks ago the box won’t power up anymore. Lucky I still have an old Humax receiver but the picture is crap compared to the arris box. Can’t believe the humax box still works though, it must be between 5 and 7 years old by now but I think it’s just too out of date.

Power supply on the arris seems to be fine but the box isn’t getting any power. I might break it open and see if there are any visible fuses that can be replaced. If not, I think I would need professional repair but not sure if it’s worth fixing these boxes? It was pretty buggy since launch.

Update. Nearly impossible to open these up they have security torx screws. Just looked at prices for a replacement and they’re eur 250 for the 500gb. I think I’ll try get one repair and if it goes again I’ll bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought one of those boxes 2nd hand about a year ago, worked fine up until about 3 weeks or so ago.

Got the same message as you were all getting. Offered option to reboot box each time which seemed to solve it.

Over Xmas I disconnected everything around the TV to clean and dust. Reconnected box and since I had no recordings on it anyway, did a full reset and start from scratch, full retune.

Haven't had the error message since. Fingers crossed.

Also have an old Humax Foxsat 320gb, which must be 15yr old which is working fine. Don't want to have to reconnect it due to its size.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I’ll try and get mine repaired and let everyone know the outcome.

Mine behaved for a week or so, then started giving the error again. Looks like it's time to change out the HDD, see if they helps.

Just FYI, I had reason to be up and sitting in front of the box during the night, and it seemed to randomly go from standby to power on, back to standby a few times over the space of an hour or so. Not sure if it was doing updates or was related to the faulty drive?

So an update, well kinda an update.

Found an old hdd lying in a drawer, changed it out and it was worse. Gave error every time. Even after box reboot, still same. Now I have a feeling that hdd was lying in the back of a drawer for a reason, that I had issues with it years ago. So now not sure it's a good test.

Only option now is to go out and buy a new 2.5" hdd and hopefully a new one should be trouble free. If that was bad, then there's something else a miss with the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Spn744

I had the same issue last week (maybe a software update was due to the increases in this issue) fortunately the disk repair option worked for me after multiple attempts but such a strange thing, hasn’t come up since. Repair seems possible if it does.

source - https://www.avforums.com/threads/arris-freesat-4k-uhd-hard-drive-is-offline.2396355/

Problem with mine is that it appears to be hit and miss.

When i select the option to REBOOT BOX , the error might stay away for 48hrs or so, but of late it seems to always come back. I tried recording a film off bbc the other night and it recorded fine. Error currently not showing but expect it to rear its head again soon.

Due to this I have ordered a spare hdd off cex, and will try this too when it arrives to see if I still get it. If I do, then that's the same error with 3 different hdds, so might point to it being a software big rather than the hdds themselves.

And just another update on this!

My Arris box was working OK for about a week, powering on without the error.

However today it once again appeared. So I swapped out the original drive for the spare I bought in CEX. Powered it up, and voila, same error again. That's now 3 different hdds I have tried in it. Surely I can't have 3 faulty drives, so I'm putting this error down to the freesat box, and assume it is here to stay.

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭andy1249

The humax 1000s and 1100s both had hard drive problems as described above , the problem not actually being the hard drive but part of the hard drive controller circuitry on the mainboard.

Humax lost the contract for the Freesat boxes to Arris , seems they have inherited some problems also.

After my 1000s died , and getting quotes for repair that were more than 75% the cost of a new box , I switched to Enigma 2 boxes

They are far more reliable.

Looks like I either have to live with this recurring error, or put my old Foxsat HDR back in place, which never missed a beat.

Getting this issue again today. Went away for 3 weeks but now rearing it’s ugly head.

Has anyone successfully replaced the hard drive?

Can’t select “delete recordings only” or “ignore” only “reboot box” works but comes back with this message. Back button doesn’t work.

Annoying software flaw that I can’t watch tv without recording in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

Out of interest have you updated the software in box? These boxes are iffy since day one. If you are handy you should change to a Zgemma H7s or an AXHD61.

• Advertisement

It’s always been connected to Wi-Fi so automatic updates may have taken place but I’ve never manually updated. Seems to be a very common problem online which is bad form on a 2 year old box costing over €200. What’s the Zgemma or AXHD61 like? Would it be as user friendly for the rest of the family like the Freesat box is? Thanks

Changing hdd isn't the issue, if you read my posts on this thread, you'll see I have tried 3 different hdd and all giving same error.

Also software is up to date. As stated, this is automatic anyway.

So it appears its a software bug. One that we are stuck with. I tried to find a manufacturer email address to ask them what I could do, but are Arris actually a company? Can't find any contact details for them.

I have just emailed Freesat themselves to see if they know about this issue, or to see if they care at all.

Not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Oh they know all right, the f***ers but you'll get the usual out of warranty line.

I’ve emailed them as well, some success with hard drive swap on other UK based forms but didn’t want to go to the hassle if it doesn’t work. Their website states it’s only a 12 month warranty so I’m saying mines within that even though it isn’t. Surely if it’s a manufacturing fault the 12 month warranty is extended as this is a common issue across numerous users. Will post back here when I hear back.

Did your box allow you to select “delete all recordings” or “ignore” ? The only option that would work when selected was “reboot box”

I’m saying mines from Argos UK and if they try any warranty bull I’ll photoshop a receipt. Not letting them away with it, if it was £50 it’s one thing but a £200 box should have a higher level of quality and at least 5 years of function.

Warranty in the EU is 2 years on electrical items but I guess brexit is their 1 year loop hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dermo2014

Is it possible to down grade the software to the previous one and turn off auto updates ?

My Foxsat HDR is still running with no issues - fingers crossed 🤞.

I get all those 3 options, but to he honest I have only ever selected the REBOOT BOX or IGNORE option.

I have no recordings on my box do can't select that option.

• Advertisement

Thanks, hopefully we get a replacement from emailing them! Will keep you updated and if you could do the same.

Advertisement