Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room

Options
  • 29-09-2022 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there been trying to get through to citizens information and no answer so hopefully somebody on here can help.

i'm renting a room in my home to a student who as well as a long list of disturbing and unacceptable behaviour she also appears to have some sort of anger issues.

Gave her notice which is due to expire tomorrow but she's digging her heels in, refusing to leave . I don't feel safe in my own home and I'm wondering if I change the locks is there any repurcusssions that I may end up having to deal with it. Would love to know what my rights are. Have read all there is to on citizen info website.

Thanks so much for any guidance on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

She's a licensee if you're living at home as well. She has no rights in that case. Her bags should be packed tomorrow and gone. How much notice did you give her?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

No repercussions for packing her bags and changing the locks.

She has as much rights as a hotel or hostel guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭thebourke

how long is she living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I have had the exact same problem, a person was here for 4 weeks and was noisy, disrespectful and would not leave when asked. I packed her bags left them in hall and changed locks. I had no repercussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

As a licensee, unless you signed an agreement with her specifying otherwise, she is only entitled to "reasonable" notice. There's no specific definition in law about what is "reasonable", but generally speaking, a few weeks would probably be considered reasonable under most circumstances, but a few hours probably wouldn't be. Anything in between could be a toss-up. Assuming your notice was reasonable, you can change your locks and put her stuff out once the time has expired, and she will have little or no recourse. It's always possible she could try to pursue the matter somehow, but her chances of success would be slim, and it's not likely she will bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

none whatsoever, pre-emptive talk with local Guards wont do any harm either.

Can you have a friend be around on last days as a witness?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

The person renting a room in your house has no rights. I rent a room in my house and have had to ask someone to move twice. You do not need to give any notice - although if they have been with you for over a year maybe be courteous to give them a bit of notice, but it sounds like you have done that already. Absolutely nothing to stop you packing their stuff up and leaving it outside for them to collect. It can be stressful but you should not feel unsafe in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I used to live in a shared house and a girl moved in and I swear we all went to bed every night wondering if she would set fire to the house or stab us in our sleep. You really need to be able to get the gardai to move someone out if its not working out.

Advertisement