Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test waiting times/ driving unaccompanied as learner

• 29-09-2022 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I have a good job that I can’t afford to lose. I have my learner permit 6 months in November (2022) and test booked in Portlaoise. Im going to lose my job if I don’t get a test soon or drive unaccompanied. Been told test will be 15-20 weeks after November 20th. Can’t wait that long. What should I do? I have my lessons done and a letter from my employer explaining situation! Isn’t the whole learning to drive thing a racket in Ireland!

Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Forget driving unaccompanied as unfortunately there are no exceptions.

So, I would seek alternatives.

Perhaps you have a neighbour who has a full licence and also works close to your place of employment and he/she would be happy to be chauffeured to work each day ?

Or get accommodation within walking distance

And/or purchase a battery powered scooter or bike. I believe no licence required for either.

Or even an old fashioned ordinary push bike. Eamon Ryan goes to work every morning on his bike☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It’s a roll of the dice to drive unaccompanied. You might get away with it by sticking to back roads but if you get caught, your car will be seized, fines and I think penalty points too.

It is a bad situation that learners are in at the moment. I’d have hoped employers would be more understanding tbh.

Try to rent a room locally to work for during the week and cycle as J_R suggested is probably the wisest choice for you.

The only other option is to find another job with, hopefully, a more understanding employer.

What line of work are you in?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Are the waiting times in other testing centres as bad? You can apply to any test centre in the country.

Could you put your name down for a cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seancashin

Hi. I’m an electrical apprentice so being able to afford accommodation is off the cards for me. You can no longer get a cancellation test and all test centres have similar waiting times. I’ve contacted a few local TDs and hopefully they will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Is there no ‘digs’ style Monday to Friday accommodation available locally? Worth asking your co-workers and posting on local Facebook groups.

In fairness to you, your boss knew that you weren’t licensed when he hired you, he should be much more flexible on this. Help you find accommodation and he should certainly not be expecting you to break the law to keep your job.

If you do break the law, it’s you that ends up with the points and fines, not him.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 MV33

did my test in Naas on the 23rd Sept

wait time was 5 weeks from when I applied

Post edited by MV33 on

Advertisement