Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen Oli concept - Just enough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I can't say I'm in love with that flat windscreen, looks like a baby Hummer

But I really like the concept, simplified design and lightweight materials to keep the weight and cost down. Fast charging and V2G as standard and if the 400km range figure is anywhere close to true, it's got plenty of battery to get around

Looks like a good layout as well for carrying stuff. Didn't Citroen have a car like this in the past which could be a hatchback, cabrio or pickup in different configurations?

I hope something like this makes it to production. Whatever the final product is, it'll be a lot blander than the concept, but if they can keep the simplicity and price down then it'll be a winner I reckon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 28,124 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I like the look of it from behind the windscreen back but I can't stress this enough - what the actual f**k were they thinking with the windscreen.

I'm m no aerodynamics expert but I don't think a flat surface facing the direction your driving will do much for drag coefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

The windscreen is flat as it's cheaper as it's less real estate. Leaves in less sunlight, thus reducing the air conditioning consumption.

For the cars use case, it actually makes sense.

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Apparently it saves on glass, keeping the cost and weight down

Bit silly looking, especially when the back looks like it's got some aerodynamic thought involved

• Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Poor man's Cybertruck

I like it. They got a lot of stuff right in the concept. Most EVs have a battery that's way too big these days, making the far unnecessarily expensive. I've said for years that cheap cars don't need any entertainment system, nor do they need sat nav and they don't need to be online either. We have our phones for all of that. Citroen were the first to cop on to that with the Ami. I hope they're going "enough" on the price too 😂 Cool yoke for about €15-20k on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It's nice; in the same way my 5 year old daughter draws pictures of cars. Wouldn't buy one myself.....and I'm a fan of the twizy!

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭kirving

Although Citroen will probably release this! (Or something close anyway).

You're dead right on the range. Having a 400km capable battery that does 10km per day is a terrible waste of money, and terrible for the environment too.

There are regulations and safety equipment that say require a screen for a reversing camera, so adding a radio receiver isn't much of an overhead, and since E-Call is mandatory now too, feeding service data back to the manufacturer isn't much waste really. But a full web browser and 4K Netflix capable processor comes with a cost in terms of money and EV range of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭blackbox

There are a lot of good ideas in this for a city car. They mostly could apply to a petrol car as much as an electric one.

I suspect that the weight will increase dramatically before it passes any crash tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We can call it a city car. But if you look at the population of most EU countries, they are heavily concentrated in urban areas. Like Dublin. Half the population of Ireland lives in the greater Dublin area, where a car like this can go from A to B within this area and back the same day without charging (assuming say a 15-20kWh battery). For most people on the rare occasion they want to travel further they wouldn't mind stopping a few times for say 20 minutes, provided the fast charging network is secure and not congested)

Maybe, maybe not. The composite material seems pretty strong considering that you can stand on the car. And most of the strength of the car is in the structure, not the outer body

I guess the main disadvantage is that it would tend to break up or crack if damaged, which probably could pose a bit of a hazard

I think to some extent there's been a lot of resistance to move away from metal car bodies among automakers because it's well understood and they already have all of the tooling for it

It's a bit of a waste however making the body panels out of metal. Adds weight for no real benefit. I think we're going to see more and more composites being used there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes they did. The Citroen C3 Plurel I think it was called. There is someone in Kildare that has one and it still looks in great condition. I am surprised its still there. Used to see it a bit then not then it appeared again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭CptMonkey

I would buy that tomorrow if it was for sale.

I've just realised this car is more aerodynamic in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought that too when I first seen it but it has the same window at the rear as the front.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, that slope is just the sides. There's a mini pickup-style flatbed between them.

Still loving it.

Algunas veces , menos es más.

103 Wh/km.

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

Advertisement