Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician in Cork City /County

Options
  • 30-09-2022 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

just looking for a recommendation in the city or county , tried Egans last year and when I asked for cheap glasses the sales person had no more interest , specsavers in town weren't great , just need a competent optician who won't fleece me for basic glasses for computer distance .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You don't need to buy the glasses at the place where you get your eyes checked. Do you have a current prescription? It's easy to go somewhere like Specsavers or Vision Express or wherever and get your eyes checked (or Egans, for that matter) and then go elsewhere to buy the glasses themselves if you don't like the selection where you got the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Im overdue a test , been about a year and a half and im struggling with a computer screen , so will get cheap and cheerful at the opticians and buy better online if I can get the PD off them .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can just go somewhere like specsavers, get the test done, ask for a copy of your prescription if they don’t give it to you automatically and then buy online or in another shop. Getting your eyes tested and buying glasses are two entirely separate things so you can do each step however you’d like - you’re under no obligation to buy a pair of glasses following an eye test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I go to john daly on oliver plunkett street nice staff no hard sell in fact paid nothing for the frames or test as all covered by the prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've been going to Specsavers for years but am getting increasingly fed up with the Opera Lane store.

Appointments are constantly behind schedule, staff are more interested in getting their name in a feedback form than going through your eye test and the hassle of even getting the glasses after the fact is a nuisance.

I'm planning to go elsewhere for my next eye test, and assuming they can fit the lenses in my Specsaver purchases frames which I have no desire to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

I've used both Leahy's in Douglas and Crowleys on Grand Parade. Both excellent imho. They take the time to go through the checks and what they mean. I don't need glasses yet so I can't comment on the prices, but get checked for general eye health every year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Second Egan's. Was going to specsavers and my prescription was changing each time, increasing slightly then decreasing slightly the next time, so always ended up buying new glasses.. Egan's never try to hard sell and are happy to give prescription

Advertisement