Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not meeting Housing need

Options
  • 30-09-2022 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I have just been refused planning for a house on a site that I inherited from my parents.

I am recently divorced. The house was never in my name. I supplied all the relevant documents e.g. birth certs, school letter, baptismal cert, letter from parish priest, etc. The site is near my parent's house. Has anyone come across this before. I have never owned a house in the area i.e Galway County Council. My ex martial home is in Galway City Council.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

You will have a very hard time getting planning I fear. Check the Galway County Development Plan for their thinking / development areas but the Councils generally are heavily against one off housing in rural areas now. Unless you are farming in that area, have a job (teacher etc) in the nearest village etc your historical connections don't tick the required boxes. You could renovate an existing house in that area or apply to knock one down / rebuild etc but building on a greenfield gifted site appears to have been ruled out in your particular circumstances.

Talk to a local TD, a local Architect / planning advisor about alternate routes / planning vehicles about that site that might work but these routes are going to likely to cost you and there's no guarantee of success with that investment of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

Hi there.

I applied for planning under local needs, and my local need was my parents are elderly and need care in their later years. I had to write a letter to that effect/word it a certain way. It satisfied the need in any case.

They do not want people building houses in rural areas any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My reading is that the OPs parents are dead (inheritance is mentioned).

OP - if this is the case, do you also have a share in the original house?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

I inherited my site from my parents and (if you jinx me) they are alive (I swear if you jinx me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Inherit usually means on death, hence the confusion with the OP. If their parents aren't alive there is no possibility of a care needs local need basis

• Advertisement
Advertisement