Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I been ripped off?

Options
  • 30-09-2022 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I just had to fork out €60 to have one front and two rear cables replaced. Nothing more, 3 cables on a Fuji hybrid. I won't name names but they are an upstanding long established LBS in the Templeogue area. I know cost of living has gone up but was I mad paying that cause I feel thoroughly ripped off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Was it cable and outer? Assume say 4 quid a piece, if it was both on all 3 cables, that's 24 quid for parts. That leaves €36 labour.

Are the cables on your bike internally routed? That would make a difference to the labour costs

You're lucky to get anyone to anything for less than €100 these days - even just to look or call out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't say ripped off but definitely over the odds. A lesson to learn how to do it yourself. I stand to be corrected but while I know of one long established bike shop in Templeogue, I don't know of any upstanding ones in my experience, but the long established one would have charged over the odds for years, only get a reasonable price at their sister shop if you get the owner or the mechanic, other related staff/manager would bend you over the counter to help empty your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It’s not cheap, but it’s not outrageous either.

For reference Jimmys in Portmarnock list on their site they charge 30 quid for brake cables replacement and 30 quid for gear cables (add a tenner to both if they’re internal cables).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Yeh meant to say all are routed externally. Not a difficult or long job but yes my sentiments driving home were indeed get off yer bumand learnthis for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Devil's advocate here, I think that's a reasonable price. Particularly with parts, materials, overheads of running a shop etc going through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

It seems a little on the expensive side but I don't think you've been ripped off. If it was 50 it wouldn't have surprised me. 3 cables, 2 brakes fixed and gears reindexed I'm guessing? It'd be far cheaper if you learned how to do it yourself.

It's certainly not crazy, and I've certainly heard of worse in South Dublin. I certainly wouldn't be complaining, but it would inspire me to do it myself. My LBS is decent enough and will sell me cable off the reel with a mark up, and it's way cheaper than buying a cable set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

If you go this route, don't forget the ferrules! (cabley end cap thingys)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This reaffirms my thoughts that the idea of running a bike shop and the reality are two very different things. You'd want to be a philanthropist and do it for the love of the job.

€60 is a pittance to be honest for time spent booking in carrying out the work and materials.

As you say though it's a very easy job, so next time you might save yourself €30 depending on the value you put on your time by watching a few youtube videos and doing the work yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I know we’re going a bit off topic now, but I think this is a result of shops for years doing labour for absolutely nothing, and only charging the small enough margins on parts, and relying on bike sales as their main income. Certainly was the case in the LBS near me, you’d rarely see them charge more than 30 or 40 quid for most jobs unless there was a significant costly part needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my LBS charges a minimum now of €20 for a job. replacing a spoke, or regreasing a BB (which i had done recently), etc. would fall into the €20 bracket AFAIK

This is true, we all got used to them lending us a pump for free, selling stuff at cost if they knew you which is lovely but gave us all a false sense of a fair price.

In my mind, cost of parts, plus labour, plus overheads + 50% is my rule of thumb for a fair price.

That could make it anywhere between 40 and 60,

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Seems on the high side to me. I replaced one of my brake cables recently and it was about as easy and straight-forward a job as I could've hoped. Unless the mechanic encountered a particular difficulty I think €20 per cable seems expensive.

It's definitely a job to do yourself, it's easy to do, needs minimal tools, and doesn't take too long. However, if you bring your bike to a shop to have work done, you have to expect higher costs. Bike mechanics arent paid individually for each job carried out, they're on an hourly rate, plus the shop owner has to cover costs such as lighting, heating, local council rates, insurance, plus take a wage themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for some people, they mightn't have the space or the tools - or the inclination. if you're replacing cables every few years, it might be easier to just drop it into the shop and let them do it. you'd need a decent cable cutter too, which most people wouldn't already have in their toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

With the cost of electricity, labour, rent etc, all of those you have to take into consideration. I don't see why you would think you are been ripped off?

As someone said that is about 36 euro for labour/electricity/rent. Not much when you think about it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's definitely a job to do yourself, it's easy to do, needs minimal tools, and doesn't take too long. 

When I first replaced the brake and gear cables on my Orbea (with internal routing), it was an absolute pain. Where the gear cable goes into the downtube allows slack or goes taut when you turn the bars (steering) so I ended up with issues changing gear on my rear derailleur which took me ages get working without issues.

I initially thought I was doing something wrong but I had to replace the rear derailleur about a year later and decided to just give it to my LBS. They had similar issues indexing the new RD because of the cable routing.

The issue was because the plastic routing part that clips into the downtube allows some movement. Because of this, when you turned left (I think), it provided some looseneing of the cable which affected the tension on the RD.

It's ok now (different part) but I wouldn't assume that everything that should be easy, is always easy.

I raised the prospect of internal cabling in my first post. OP confirmed cables are routed externally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

OT but sounds like your outer cable housing just wasn’t long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

How long would this take the mechanic? About 15 minutes all in.

How much are three cables to them? Less than €4.

How much are overheads for that 15 minutes or so? Probably about €5 or less, I don't know.

So assuming the cost to the employer of the mechanic's wages is €25/h, we're talking total cost to the business of around €15 all in, but probably less.

They charged the customer €60.

I don't know about 3 cables and outers being €4 all in. 66c each?

How much are three cables to them? Less than €4.

going reductio ad absurdum; if i go to my bike shop and ask them to put a pair of ksyrium XL pro magic carbon extra round wheels on my bike, they should also only charge what the wheels cost *to them* as part of the cost?

they are selling you the cables as part of the service; it's not unreasonable for them to charge retail prices for the cables, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not here to defend a LBS that I've no dealings with, but you're also paying for front of house staff to take the bike in/ give back as well as a (hopefully) skilled mechanic.

At the previous job, the LBS had the basic service prices on the door, but I can't recall. So it seems on the expensive side, not ridiculous for me.

When it was a convenient, I valued the LBS as my time more valuable than the costs of getting a professional to do the job. They're no longer convenient, so my travel time comes into the equation and has changed my sums somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was illustrating the cost to them versus the price charged, and to let people make their own conclusions as to whether the guy got good value or not. Plus, the OP said cable, not cable plus outers.

I said cables and outers when I tried to break down the cost, and the OP didn't say only cables, so I'm presuming both.

The cost to the shop makes no difference, as the consumer can't get them at that price anyway, so the issue would be whether the Labour charged was too high. Most here would seem to suggest a little high, but not a rip off. I personally have no idea, I've never paid someone to work on a bike for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

OP are you happy with the repair carried out? are the cables fitted and the Brakes/gears working correctly?

Wages: 7.50

Cables: 10

Overheads (if rented in South Dublin): could easily be 10

Cost of holding stock: 2.50

So 30euro, it's a business so I'd want to be making another 15 on that.

So 45 minimum in South Dublin, just south of 40 if you own the place outright or are in a cheaper part of the country to live.

This is based on numbers that are going up all the time and probably a month out of date.

Edit: I should say that the overheads I have used maybe way under as I haven't taken into account staff onboarding, training, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think others will agree here but the more business you put through the LBS the more economical it gets over time I find. I put a lot through my LBS at least where possible for these reasons.

Also I’m mechanically stupid with alot of finer bike repairs so I need to really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a set of mudguards that I'm about to try fit for the first time and this thread has me wondering if I should just have splashed out extra to have the LBS fit them

Advertisement