Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for upgrade suggestions for modest gaming rig...

Options
  • 30-09-2022 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit (Build 19044)

CPU

AMD Ryzen 3 1200

RAM

2 x 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1190MHz

Motherboard

MSI X370 GAMING PLUS (MS-7A33)

Display

DELL ST2420L (1920x1080@60Hz)

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (4 GB)

Storage

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

My old tower is lying idle, so I like to pass it on to my kids as a gaming rig/general PC. Doesn't have to be the biggest beast in the jungle, just robust enough so they can play fairly recent AAA titles at a reasonable framerate.

Any upgrade suggestions and/or what's the biggest improvement I can make with an immediate budget of €500?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That motherboard is compatible with Ryzen Zen3 based CPUs, so it can go up to some very high end CPUs, such as the 5950X and 16 cores. But that's overkill and not economical. A Rzyen 5600 with 6 cores however, is about €220. Update the BIOS before hand though.

The GPU is weak and dated, but it could manage some basic stuff still. GPU prices are still at silly levels, but a Radeon 6600 could be gotten for €320 ish.

16GB of RAM is okay, but the listed speed seems off.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nGqW3y

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€157.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card (€289.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €446.99

Shipping would probably be around 20 EUR.

Double check your ram speeds. They sound wrong but if they are correct you'll need new ram as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

RAM speed isn't off, it's just 2400mhz DDR4. I wouldn't bother upgrading that.

Ryzen 5600 is an obvious choice, just make sure you update your motherboard bios before installing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah, it occurred to me afterwards it was probably meant to be 2400MHz stuff rather than a misreading. And I agree, the small performance boost from replacing it isn't worth it in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sue Donimous

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement